Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a wash, claybar and 2 coats of Z2 and Z6 over the past 2 days and...WOW! :D It took me about 3 hours, to wash, clay bar, Z2/ZFX and Z6 but I took my time. Did a second coat of Z2/ZFX and Z6 yesterday. It will inevitably rain this weekend. You're welcome, Seattleites. :roll:

I'd imagine just the maintenance wash, Z2, Z6 that I would do now would only take less than 3 hours like Sweet said in my other thread. Took less than one ounce per coat. You have to press the applicator pretty hard to squeeze out the polish and it spreads really thin. You have to constantly look at the car at that angle where the light hits it just right to see the haze.

Sal Zaino is pretty OCD about the details of how to use the products. For instance, I did drop my claybar a couple times and dusted it off and kept using it. I used Wamsutta 100% supima cotton towels that I got at Bloodbath and Beyond, instead of the recommended Cannon Fieldcrest ones. Direct sunlight did hit my car during some of the process. I'm not sure what the temperature was but I'm sure it was both hotter and cooler than 70 during. Despite all that, I'm more than happy with the result.

I didn't do the wheels but probably should. Didn't do the tires, glass or interior either, but should. Just wasn't time. Maybe this weekend. I'm going to get a california duster on my way home tonight.

P.S. - Someone said they noticed a human hair in the paint on their roof. I have one on my driver's side rear quarter panel. Black. About 3" long. I wonder if our cars were painted by the same person?

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hood reflection.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reflection of me taking the picture, warped like a funhouse mirror. And dude, what's up with that hair?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Very nice. Now shine those tires! :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
Your car and the wax looks good and all, but the shine isn't any more than a lot of other good waxes. I'm glad you like Zaino and all.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Sweeeeeet!

Once you get your pattern down, you will be suprised that you can make your car look that great in less thab 2 hours. :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
Your car and the wax looks good and all, but the shine isn't any more than a lot of other good waxes. I'm glad you like Zaino and all.
Zaino lasts a lot longer than those carnuba based waxes. I havn't washed my car in two weeks and the car is still sparkling!

BTW, that shine looks awesome! Pics are hurting my eyes :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jeff,

You're brave to shoot your reflection in the door and then post it! Damned door adds at least 40 pounds, if you ask me. I took the same shot in my door and promptly deleted it from my camera. :D

You have a human hair in your paint?? Ewww. I'd ask for a new quarter panel... Either that or name the freakin' thing and consider it a traveling companion.

D

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Jeffhay said:
P.S. - Someone said they noticed a human hair in the paint on their roof. I have one on my driver's side rear quarter panel. Black. About 3" long. I wonder if our cars were painted by the same person?
Dude that was me!!! :roll: The hair was on the roof. Dealer stripped the whole roof and repainted. Perfect now. My build date was 1/03. Yours?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeffhay said:
I did a wash, claybar and 2 coats of Z2 and Z6 over the past 2 days and...WOW! :D It took me about 3 hours, to wash, clay bar, Z2/ZFX and Z6 but I took my time. Did a second coat of Z2/ZFX and Z6 yesterday. It will inevitably rain this weekend. You're welcome, Seattleites. :roll:

I'd imagine just the maintenance wash, Z2, Z6 that I would do now would only take less than 3 hours like Sweet said in my other thread. Took less than one ounce per coat. You have to press the applicator pretty hard to squeeze out the polish and it spreads really thin. You have to constantly look at the car at that angle where the light hits it just right to see the haze.

Sal Zaino is pretty OCD about the details of how to use the products. For instance, I did drop my claybar a couple times and dusted it off and kept using it. I used Wamsutta 100% supima cotton towels that I got at Bloodbath and Beyond, instead of the recommended Cannon Fieldcrest ones. Direct sunlight did hit my car during some of the process. I'm not sure what the temperature was but I'm sure it was both hotter and cooler than 70 during. Despite all that, I'm more than happy with the result.

I didn't do the wheels but probably should. Didn't do the tires, glass or interior either, but should. Just wasn't time. Maybe this weekend. I'm going to get a california duster on my way home tonight.

Today, the sun finally decided to show her face in Seattle and I wanted to get some more coats on before the monsoon season. So, I did a quick wash with Z7 and was startled to find that once the dirt was gone, I'd say I still had 70% of my shine from the time of my last post. Note the date. June 18. That's like 3.5 months and I hadn't even washed it since. I noticed the water beading pretty good too.

So, I washed, Z2/ZFX'd and Z6'd and it looks better than after my second coat 3 months ago. I did do the wheels this time. Not the tires though. I don't have any dressing right now. I'm going to do one more coat tomorrow. I figure 4 coats will get me through a PacNW winter and I'll start all over with clay in the spring.

Someone in this thread was saying other waxes are just as good. I have little experience with anything but Turtle from when I was a teenager. I'd guess that other products may shine just as well but I was amazed at how well Zaino lasts and builds on itself. Sal has something special here. I give Zaino my continuing endorsement.

Oh, and Sweet was right; once you get a system down, you can wash wax and Z6 in about 2 hours, giving the wax 30 miinutes to cure in the middle.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Now for the real test. Mt. St. Helen - better polish once again, just in case.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Does anyone know how many coats of zaino you can put on without starting over?

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
FXcellent said:
Does anyone know how many coats of zaino you can put on without starting over?
You can put on as many as you like. I'm on #20 now. Unless, of course, go a long time in between coats and you allow contaminants to set in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts