Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so... I was finally able to carve out a few hours on a sunny day to devote to my new FX35, and thanks to speedy order processing and shipping from Zaino, I had the products on hand only a few days after I ordered them.

This was my first Zaino experience AND my first washing of the car since I picked it up from the dealer 10 days ago.

My procedure and observations:

1. Washed the car with Dawn, then rinsed and blew it off with my leaf blower. As I was toweling it dry, I realized the side mirrors were still draining lather, so I had to rinse them off again. Note to self: Soap suds like to get back into the mirror housing, so give it a good spray in there next time.

2. Masked off the black plastic trim all the way around the car as a precaution. (Does anyone know if Zaino will collect in the plastic texture and be a problem to clean off?)

3. Clay-barred it (is that a verb?). When I was ordering the Zaino, I passed on the clay bar, thinking the car was too new to have a lot of contaminants on the paint. But then I had second thoughts, so I popped into a Checker Auto Parts store and picked up a Mother's clay bar/polishing spray package. The clay barring went fairly quickly, because other than a few remnants of adhesive from the protective plastic used in transport, the car's paint was exceptionally clean and smooth.

4. Coated the car with a mixture of Z2 Show Car Polish and FX Accelerator. The trickiest bit is figuring out how big of a batch to mix up. I went through one ounce of polish after doing about a third of the car, so I mixed up two more ounces. But as I worked, I realized that I had gone through a disproportionate amount of polish in the beginning due to the dry applicator, which had soaked up quite a bit in the process. As the pad acquired more polish, it took less out of the bottle to coat the car. I ended up with almost an ounce of mixed polish left in the bottle, and because there wasn't enough daylight to start on a second coat, I had to dump it down the drain. Ouch.

So, note to self: One two-ounce bottle should be enough to do the whole car.

5. Allowed the Z2/FX coat to dry. Humidity was moderately low and temperatures mild. It dried in less than 30 minutes and wiped off easily.

6. Applied Z6 Gloss Enhancer Spray, wiping off as I went. I don't know what's in this stuff, but it wipes off so cleanly that it didn't even streak the windows where I oversprayed. Weird.

7. Shot some photos of the end result.

Having had the opportunity to pore over every square inch of my new car, I have to tip my hat to Infiniti, its dealers, and even the transport companies. My new FX is as perfect a product as I have ever seen off an assembly line. I found absolutely no blemishes, dings, imperfections, or even tiny scratches. The downside, of course, is that when the inevitable flaw does show up, I'll know it happened under my watch. :x

So here is my newly Zaino'ed Liquid Copper Perfect 10 FX35. What a thing of beauty...

Devon

Attachments

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Devon said:
My new FX is as perfect a product as I have ever seen off an assembly line. I found absolutely no blemishes, dings, imperfections, or even tiny scratches.
I came to that conclusion, too.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
You did a wonderfull job, wish I could take the time to wax, but in taiwan its just too cheap for car wax, that I just take it out and get it done :p

Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Devon, looks great! And it wasn't that bad was it?

I'm glad you decided to clay bar. Now you'll never have to wonder if you should have ...and on down the line, when you really will need to use it, you'll be an experienced clay bar-er.

I've also found that it takes very nearly 2 ounces of Z2 for an application... there's a lot of acreage to be covered on our FXs !

You didn't need to tape off the textured black plastic...I didn't and unlike waxes it does not get inside the texture and refuse to come off. In fact , on some sort of Zaino communication, I read that it wasn't necessary.

So... when are you gonna put on a second coat?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
dont worry about getting the zaino on the black trim. the stuff comes right off. it also does a great job on the black rails and rear spolier ;)

i just got done adding 2 more coats of Z2 to my FX yesterday too :razz:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good question! I was going to do it today, but it's pouring rain. :( We'll see what the rest of the weekend brings.

Thanks for all your advice, guys. Good to know I can skip the masking step next time.

Devon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Devon said:
Good question! I was going to do it today, but it's pouring rain. :( We'll see what the rest of the weekend brings.
LOL...You're addicted just like the rest of us! Just to taunt you...We're having a beautiful day out here in the east and right now I'm taking a break in between putting on another couple of layers of Zaino. :D

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
my fresh coats of zaino are soooooo slick that the cicadas are just bouncing and skimming right off the surface when im driving.....and yes there are HUNDREDS of them trying to cross the streets around here and never making it :)

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
remember, thin coats will get the job done. been able to get two coats on with one ounce.

·
Registered
302 Posts
looks great.. was at a car show today and Zaino had a booth there. First time I have seen it in Cananda. I bought a full package $200 CDN proably got ripped off but it has everything in it. Thanks for the detailed step by step instructions. Seems confusing with all these bottles.. I am sure I will figure it out. How long did it take to do your whole car.. start to finish?

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long did it take to do your whole car.. start to finish?
To get from wash through the gloss enhancer took me about three hours, but that included about 20 minutes to mask off the trim, which turned out to be unnecessary.

Fins, I tried to use thin coats, but the dry applicator seemed to wipe it right off. It worked much better after the applicator was soaked with polish, but of course, that used up more. Do you know if it's OK to slightly dampen the applicator with water before you start?

D

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Not sure about dampening the applicator; one way to find out. I always use up more on the first coat due to this, but subsequent coats done the same day require much less.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Devon said:
Fins, I tried to use thin coats, but the dry applicator seemed to wipe it right off. It worked much better after the applicator was soaked with polish, but of course, that used up more. Do you know if it's OK to slightly dampen the applicator with water before you start?D
There's your problem. Spray the applicator with Z6 and you're good to go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
finsfx said:
There's your problem. Spray the applicator with Z6 and you're good to go.
Very interesting solution. Did you come up with it?

Like Devon I don't aways have time to put on more than one coat at a time and it's frustrating to realize I'm wasting so much polish.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Harryh,

Been using Zaino for quite a number of years now. If I remember correctly, the application instructions on the Zaino website tells you to moisten the applicator with Z6.

fins

·
Registered
35 Posts
finsfx said:
Harryh,

Been using Zaino for quite a number of years now. If I remember correctly, the application instructions on the Zaino website tells you to moisten the applicator with Z6.

fins
Fins,
I checked the website and did a search here before I asked and no luck...so I guess you are one of the keepers of the ancient Zaino wisdom. I tried out your tip this afternoon and it worked like a charm. Great advice...thanks much!
Harry :D

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Harryh,

Glad to share the secret. Here's another one: I notice you have a black FX. Wanna shortcut the Zaino process? Mix Z2 and Z5 50/50 along with ZFX. You get swirl filling of Z5 along with optical clarity & shine of Z2. I did this with my previous black Vette with much success. Best of luck.

fins

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know about the Z6 applicator trick, either. I'll have to try that when I lay down a couple coats this week.

The 50/50 mix is an interesting idea as well, though depending on what your paint needs, it may not be neccessaary. The newest formulation of Z2 is even higher gloss and has some swirl filling properties now (The Z5 just has more, I guess).

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
MustGoFastR, Let us know how it works for you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts