Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Download the PDF version (261K)

I have read and can believe this should add 5-7 RWHP for a ztube (on a g35 alone).

Add to that a true K&N filter that comes with the stillen air box it just helps the engine breath better.

We live in the mountains at 7000+ ft. I can only imagine the gains you could see in a RWD at near sea level.

Here is the stillen intake and z tube ready to go, with all of the tools you will need.

edit by particlefx: added the PDF version

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before the final removal from the engine, cut off and save the accordian piece, this will connect the z-tube to the stillen.

This piece cuts off like butter and can easily be turned into a hack job, use sharp scissors or cutting tool.

It is an easier way to make the two (stilen and z-tube) attach.

Here is what the cut end that goes into the ztube.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What it looks like in the engine with all the old pieces removed.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the difference between the OEM and new ztube

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the stillen intake on the car.

You can see inside the stillen with the power duct put back on very nice.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The final pic of the stillen with the power duct cover attached.

Almost forgot, I decided to dremel (cut out) the frontside of the stillen box to widen the opening because the power duct has a larger opening on the backside.

Be careful when you cut it out, use a marker to double check, dry fit, then cut. And cut far, far away from your car. Plastic debrie will be everywhere. No joking.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now, you can see that the accordian piece fits nicely between the two.

The best way to make them fit, is to stuff the cut ends of the accordian piece inside the z-tube and the other end into the stilen box and then attach with adjustable hose claps at each end.

Final pic with all back together.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was hard to get those four bolts for the air box started, then I was ok.

Mustgofastr has the right solution: longer bolts.

I also remember, the four holes on the stillen box needed to be enlarged a couple mil using a utility knife.

Also, I assembeled everything on the bench first and did a dry run/test fit first.

I paid in Dec of 2003:

stillen $245
ztube $75
Smile on my face... Priceless :D

(not including shipping )

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is what the back of the stilen looks like.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is another view

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
94 Posts
05 FX install- Slightly different

I did the Z-tube, Stillen, and sincity mod. Great fun and very easy.
However, the 05 FX appears to be a bit different causing some problems:
1. Facing the vehicle- The Stillen housing has a bolt shaft protruding from the bottom of the housing. This bolt "should" line up with a bolt holding a guide for the AC plumbing. It doesn't and falls about 2 inches in front and 1 inch to the right. I used a 2" washer with another 1.5" of spacer's so the side of the washer rested on the front to rear bracket holding the AC plumbing.

2. The right side of the Stillen air box top bolts to an anchor on the right side of the fender. Yes it did, but because of my sillinness and the bolt in #1 not fitting right, this tab stressed and is almost broken off. I put some strap metal under it and I think this relieved most of the stress.

The mod is incredible! I can feel and hear the difference.

Drive cheerfully! Ron

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Regarding Grtday's post above just ran across this item from about a year ago: Looks like we don't need to use the bottom bolt (Sorry Grtday looks like you cracked your box for nothing.):

MustGoFastR said:
bradical said:
the only thing ive noticed is that there was one step in the instuctions that i could not complete. evidentally there is a bolt that is supplied to tie the bottom of the housing box to the frame. the bolt hole is dsgined to work with a G35 or a 350 Z. it does not line up with the FX35. stillen even provided a pic of what it should look like and its different.

needless to say i didnt attach the bottom of the box but its pretty sturdy once you have it attached to the strut tower and the plunum tube and the front "long" intake piece.

brad
Correct; the bottom bolt is not used in the FX and it's fine without it.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Sweet Fx said:
Here is the difference between the OEM and new ztube

PINITI-FX said:
As Sweet as my JWT looked & sounded, we felt that it was breathing in too much Hot engine air vs. cooler air, even with the lower scoop! :? Trying to fabricate a complete Closed box around it also became difficult. To block off the Hot engine air, we're going back to a Stock air box + a K&N drop-in, but I'm keeping the Z-tube. :D We found an easier way to connect them too! * Simply use a 3" section of pipe between the Z-tube (on the inside, for maximum air flow and clamp rigidity) and the stock "elbow" piece (that originally came off the throttle body) then connect that to whatever air box you are using. Doing it this way, Nothing has to be Cut! 8) PINITI-Bridge Mod?
Hope this is Helpful! :wink:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
As Sweet as my JWT looked & sounded, we felt that it was breathing in too much Hot engine air vs. cooler air, even with the lower scoop! :? Trying to fabricate a complete Closed box around it also became difficult. To block off the Hot engine air, we're going back to a Stock air box + a K&N drop-in, but I'm keeping the Z-tube. :D We found an easier way to connect them too! * Simply use a 3" section of pipe between the Z-tube (on the inside, for maximum air flow and clamp rigidity) and the stock "elbow" piece (that originally came off the throttle body) then connect that to whatever air box you are using. Doing it this way, Nothing has to be Cut! 8) PINITI-Bridge Mod?

I've done the 'bridge' mod a year ago ;)

ujmot said:
PINITI-FX said:
what's that Injen "stuff" on your accordian tube ? - you've got stillen! ??
Yes I have a stillen intake. I butchered my stock accordian piece when installing the z tube. It was cut too short :x :(

So I used the elbow piece that connected to the throttle body from the original intake tube and used an injen 3" flex (bulged) 3" silicone coupler that I had laying around (an old CAI from another car). The result was fantastic. It took alittle bit of fiddling around to make it fit well but looking from the inside of the elbow piece with that 3" flex coupler, it was as smooth as can be... almost like it was meant to be together.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
ujmot said:
PINITI-FX said:

I've done the 'bridge' mod a year ago ;)

ujmot said:
[quote="PINITI-FX":120bzpi7]what's that Injen "stuff" on your accordian tube ? - you've got stillen! ??
Yes I have a stillen intake. I butchered my stock accordian piece when installing the z tube. It was cut too short :x :(

So I used the elbow piece that connected to the throttle body from the original intake tube and used an injen 3" flex (bulged) 3" silicone coupler that I had laying around (an old CAI from another car). The result was fantastic. It took alittle bit of fiddling around to make it fit well but looking from the inside of the elbow piece with that 3" flex coupler, it was as smooth as can be... almost like it was meant to be together.
[/quote:120bzpi7]My question to you then is "Why did you not help all the Sin-City, Iron Chef, etc., etc. Z-tube cutting, Hose slicing newbie modders who have come on board since your discovery?" :roll: There have been at least 10 Threads on this! You could've helped SAVE many members alot of Grief! Do you realize how many part$ have been ruined? ...could have been prevented!? :( Not nice, dude! ...and then you wink :wink: at it all! :x Rant over, man that really bugs me. :?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Give it a rest Pin. Since you put it that way, I guess you can share the blame too since I've shared this with you on this forum :roll:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
ujmot said:
Give it a rest Pin. Since you put it that way, I guess you can share the blame too since I've shared this with you on this forum :roll:
"A year ago" this mod was of no interest to me since I was not doing it and didn't even remember your quote. :roll: However now that this "Elbow-BRIDGE-mod" is of interest to me, I will gladly Share it with others as an alternative to cutting and slicing up their valuable stock intake part$! :shock: Hopefully it will be Helpful to some.
ujmot said:
I butchered my stock accordian piece when installing the z tube. It was cut too short :x :(
Hopefully nobody will have to say this ^ again! :D ...Rather, they can say this:
ujmot said:
I used the elbow piece that connected to the throttle body from the original intake tube and .... The result was fantastic.
So did I, Thanks for the tip. 8)
* Simply use a 3" section of pipe between the Z-tube (on the inside, for maximum air flow and clamp rigidity) and the stock "elbow" piece (that originally came off the throttle body) then connect that to whatever air box you are using. Doing it this way, Nothing has to be Cut! :D PINITI-Bridge Mod?

·
Registered
28 Posts
can this intake be added to an FX45 ?? not the 35 ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
In the Stillen fitting instruction, it says that the Infiniti Dealer must extinguish the service lamp. Any way round this or a way of putting it out?

No dealers here in Sweden so it's hard to get the lamp extinguished.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts