Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, My 03 FX has the radio/tech that has the SAT button, but no XM radio components.

What is really necessary to get XM radio and to have it go through my factory stereo? Deals wants $695 to install it.

I have XM in my other ride, so I know how it works, but my quesiton is what do I really need for my FX?

Stoopid question, I know, but I still need to know. Thanks,

·
Registered
706 Posts
For the FX you need the XM receiver and an antenna. The FX is previred with the wiring harness located under the rear seat. If you lay forward the 60% rear seat you will see in the middle a velcro cover that the receiver goes face down into and hooks up to the harness.

I got my receiver and antenna from Grubbs. I upgraded to the Terk's magnetic antenna and Grubbs did the install for $505. Without the antenna upgrade it would have been around $440 installed. It should be no more than 2 hours of labor.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you follow the instructions on the grubbs site, its not really that hard to install. I installed mine in about a hour. The instructions seemed intimidating but once you get into it, its a breeze. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What was the benifit of upgrading to the Terk's magnetic antenna. Is the antenna that comes with the kit bad. I only ask becuase I just ordered the kit.

Thanks

·
Registered
706 Posts
2 things:

1)looks better-lower profile
2)magnetic, doesn't need to be glued on

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I SWAPPED out the oem unit for the terk as well......

(especially with removing the roof rails, it makes a better look)

get this... the guy at circuit city (where i bought the terk xm3 told me he'd install the ant. on the inside of the casr - front rhs of where the windsheild meets the dash...... i declined, as these antennas use the metal of the car to boost reception)

also, you'll wanna get the two wire type (thats what the receiver needs, ) OR a converter to make a one line ant. work (crutchfield)

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
I see that you put your antenna close to the hatch without utilizing the "tail" that covers the antenna wire. By design? They installed mine with the "tail" on which kind of defeats the purpose of having the magnetic antenna (since you have to glue the tail on).

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
FXcellent said:
I see that you put your antenna close to the hatch without utilizing the "tail" that covers the antenna wire. By design? They installed mine with the "tail" on which kind of defeats the purpose of having the magnetic antenna (since you have to glue the tail on).
THE XM3 (not the sirius unit mind you) has no shroud, or wire cover......

originally, i had it 12" from the edge, but the wire just slacked and looked terrible...

so i shortened it to the edge (almost) leaving no exposed wire to see.....

i was under the impresion (went to terk's site as well) the sirius unit has the cool 'tail'/cover, whereas the XM unit doesnt...

all in all, im happy with it as it is now...

lessee yers!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I was checking out one at the dealer today, and I hate that tail too. I like the little flat on. I do have a friend with on inside the front window of her vette, and it receives as well as my Tahoe does.

I am so confused, I want it but I am skeered. I guess I will check out Grubbs site to get an idea .

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SDGuy said:
Any reason the antenna can't glue to the black window surround (rear spoiler). It would seem to blend in better. Too bad they didn't integrate a combo Sirius/XM antenna into the rear spoiler itself - that would have been very cool.
Maybe,

I was searching around. Grubbs does give a smoking deal on the kit, and I found several antenna. One glues to the inside of the window, up high. One goes on the outside of the window, front or back, and is flat about the size of a mouse. So I am sure there are others.

Anyone look at the Grubbs site? Since my FX has the stereo, it it prewired or do I need both pieces said required? Sat RAdio kit295.99and the Pre-Wire 79.99 ? http://www.grubbsinfiniti.com/en_US/

·
Registered
706 Posts
You don't need the pre-wire. Just the kit.

The antenna is supposed to be mounted on metal. Performance may suffer if you mount it on the plastic hatch. But I have no personal experience on this.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The small antenna's are nice but are they powerful. I find the smaller then make them the less power then have. I have a small one on my car and I find I lose recpetion when I am downtown near tall buildings, under bridges etc.. How is yours working?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
4tyson said:
The small antenna's are nice but are they powerful. I find the smaller then make them the less power then have. I have a small one on my car and I find I lose recpetion when I am downtown near tall buildings, under bridges etc.. How is yours working?
this one even worked while mounted inside the car....

once i tinted though, it sucked mostly....

outside, i have been very pleased......

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
clayinatl said:
where did you buy that small antenna and how much was it?
hey clay--

you'll need the antenna, and the 2-1 splitter (for the oem unit, at least)

shop HERE for them both

* Blitzsafe XM Micro Antenna XM1SAA
XM1SAA$29.49

* Blitzsafe XM-1DAS Antenna Splitter
XM-1DAS$29.99

well worth it, imo (even better than the terk xm3 slimline i had on the fx.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts