Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the install instructions for the stealth satellite antenna install? I see quite a few posts about doing it, but no real instructions or pictures.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
there are no real printed instructions for this. basically, you take the PDF from grubbs and then kind of make your own antenna placement up.

basically you place a micro antenna in the space under the rear spoiler (i.e. where the rain water would run down) and then route the cable under the gasket using the v-notch cover supplied with the OEM kit and the butel gum. once the antenna wire is passed thru the notch to the inside of the car, you can just tuck it under the edge of the gasket and run it all the way down to the rear left corner of the opening. once there, the rest if the same as the PDF.

i ran my antenna cable from each end first and coiled all of the excess under the floor board in the rear corner of the car so i could have easy access to the extra in case i wanted to put it on the roof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, but the "in the space under the rear spoiler" has me confused! I have the PDF from Grubbs and did the SAT receiver install today. I could not figure out where you guys are putting the micro antenna and routing the cable. What do they say...a picture is worth 1000 words!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
do a search on stealth as there were a pew pics posted just yesterday and the day before on where to put it.

i dont have a pic of mine right now, but if you open the rear hatch, youll see a rubber gasket that runs all around the opening. if you look on the backside of that gasket in the middle of the top of the opening, you'll see that there is a flat area (only a few inches deep) where you can place the antenna.

as the hatch closes, you will see that the rear spoiler comes down over that area and when it is closed there is about a 3/4" of space in there....this is where the antenna lives (under the spoiler and on top of the flat area)

·
Registered
509 Posts
What now? I just finished the installation of a stealth antenna (Sirius Mini) to replace the factory wart on the roof. I haven't taken the antenna off the roof yet, because I wanted to test the new one first.

The signal seems fine with the Sirius Mini, but it won't display data (station data, name, title, etc.) What gives? All I get in the display is the word "ANTENNA". The selector on the radio that chooses what is displayed has no effect. All of this worked with the factory antenna. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
None. Other than to check your connections. All I did was to unsnap my old antenna from the connector and snap in my "mini" and everything worked the same. ALso , make sure you haven't crimped your antenna line somewhere.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Antenna means there is antenna error :?. A pinch in the line or bad connection. You did use the proper antenna, right? Is your mini a 2 pin antenna? If your tuner has 2 connectors, you have to use a 2 pin, or single with the 2 pin adapter.

·
Registered
509 Posts
johnmax said:
Antenna means there is antenna error :?.
My bad. :( I opened back up the space behind the seat and realized I plugged the new antenna directly into the receiver. Further investigation (with my glasses on) revealed a small device between the antenna and the receiver (maybe a booster, or splitter). I moved the antenna connector directly to the interface and everything now works as it should.

Next step, get the ugly wart off the roof. The mechanic at the dealership recommended applying wax to the roof around the antenna and using strong thin fishing line to work under the antenna to pull the adhisive off the roof. Being a fisherman I have plenty of line to try this with. I plan on just cutting the antenna lead off under the rail and toss the old one.

I will post the results when complete. 8)

·
Registered
509 Posts
WART REMOVED :multi:

The old antenna came off easier than expected. Just grabbed it from the tail tucked in the gutter and slowly pulled it off. The left over gum came up easily since this was a very recent install.

Before and After pictures. The factory antenna looks like a giant upside down measuring cup. Now I won't have to listen to people say "What is that"? 8)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
What's that looong silver thingy on your roof? :roll: :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Hey Piniti you should put those exhaust pipes in your avatar all the way across the back. It'd look like some kinda space battlecruiser :) .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts