Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my '04 FX35 and added the dealer installed XM as an option. They haven't ordered the receiver yet, so I may have a little time here to change my mind on XM or Sirius (same installed price). I'm more than content with either the XM or Sirius programming, so that's not an issue. However, I've read that for XM the display is pretty poor with only 10 characters. This boggles my mind as the cheap aftermarket receivers display a ton of info. Is the Sirius any better? What exactly can you get display wise for either? Can you also see Artist, Title, Channel #, Channel Descrip, etc easily or is it buried in the audio button submenus?

Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
XM's fine (others agree/disagree) have them do the stealth ant. install (search) hope they didn't get too greedy $$ with you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Piniti, did a search on the stealth antenna, and haven't easily found any good understanding of "stealth" versus "non-stealth." Any pictures anywhere? What exactly is the difference and are both dealer installed options?

FYI, I had the XM thrown into the deal, so it's hard to tell what I really paid for it. I was satisfied with the final combination of my trade and the price. Also, list for XM was $399 including installation.

MrFC1000

·
Registered
706 Posts
XM receivers are still having a problem. Get Sirius!

Quote:
He was told that receivers with firmware of 2.7.4 (that can't be burned in by the dealer) or greater correct the problem.

As the largest seller AND SERVICER of satellite radios in all of the Nissan Corporation I can assure you that is a total load of ^&%$#. Dealer's have no way to "burn" anything on satellite radios [b]and the XM receiver continues to have problems.[/b]

--------------------
PLEASE USE EMAIL FOR CONTACT [email protected] or call tollfree 888-4GRUBBS ext 4050

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What exactly are the problems with the XM receivers and do the Sirius receivers have the same issues?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
MrFC1000 said:
What exactly are the problems with the XM receivers and do the Sirius receivers have the same issues?
not sure why, but XM units seem to have issues communicating with the head unit.

get the sirius :) i think it has better music selections than XM if you are into rock, pop, and hip hop (wifey has XM so im familiar with both).

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
After trying Sirius (the only working alternative for FX built-in units) for a week, I'm about to say "None of the Above".

I got sick of FM 'cause of inane DJs, DJs talking over songs, every station having gone to commercial or stupid-assed ramblings seemingly all at the same time, censored music, and commercials.

I bought into the Satellite radio premise thinking I was going to get something like "Music Choice" on cable and dish, and what do I get? Totally unnecessary DJs. DJs talking over songs. Talking spread out over multiple channels (I hit the tune button once one of these guys comes on, and find someone on another station talking his ass off, too). Censored songs. Commercials (I have Sirius- why do I need to be told what Sirius is going to do for me? That's still a "commercial".)

Every satellite reciever in existence tells you what the song is, the artist, and the station you're on. Why is it then some hack DJ from some C-list market has to come on and tell me this after every 2nd song? It's not like they can shut TF up, either- shout outs and birthdays and sh!t like that. You get into the music (which does sound great, I'll give it that) and here comes some DJ fscking up the channel.

I'm so disappointed. If it weren't for the fact I'd have to deinstall the whole shebang, I'd send the whole thing back and cancel my subscription tomorrow.

Unless you live in West Assfsck and can't get any radio stations reliably, save your money. If you're in a big metro area, you're pretty much already listening to Sirius on FM.

·
Registered
706 Posts
After trying Sirius (the only working alternative for FX built-in units) for a week, I'm about to say "None of the Above".

I got sick of FM 'cause of inane DJs, DJs talking over songs, every station having gone to commercial or stupid-assed ramblings seemingly all at the same time, censored music, and commercials.

I bought into the Satellite radio premise thinking I was going to get something like "Music Choice" on cable and dish, and what do I get? Totally unnecessary DJs. DJs talking over songs. Talking spread out over multiple channels (I hit the tune button once one of these guys comes on, and find someone on another station talking his ass off, too). Censored songs. Commercials (I have Sirius- why do I need to be told what Sirius is going to do for me? That's still a "commercial".)

Every satellite reciever in existence tells you what the song is, the artist, and the station you're on. Why is it then some hack DJ from some C-list market has to come on and tell me this after every 2nd song? It's not like they can shut TF up, either- shout outs and birthdays and sh!t like that. You get into the music (which does sound great, I'll give it that) and here comes some DJ fscking up the channel.

I'm so disappointed. If it weren't for the fact I'd have to deinstall the whole shebang, I'd send the whole thing back and cancel my subscription tomorrow.

Unless you live in West Assfsck and can't get any radio stations reliably, save your money. If you're in a big metro area, you're pretty much already listening to Sirius on FM.
WTF are you talking about? Since you been talking about getting Sirius for about a year, you would think you would have logged on to Sirius and listened for free to see if you liked it prior to purchasing. Plus your account of the DJ's is very exaggerated. You sure your not on a "talk" channel? I have not even remotely experienced your viewpoint here. Hope you didn't sign up for a lifetime membership! :shock:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not sure why, but XM units seem to have issues communicating with the head unit.
Not to beat a dead horse here, but what problems does this cause?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had XM dealer installed about 2 months ago. My Wifes car has Sirius. Personally, I prefer the XM. I think the music selection is better and the news/sports are pretty equal.

As far as the XM problems some have discussed. Before my install I asked my local Service Manager which reciever had the most issues. He said Sirius. Evidently, they have had quite a few Sirius returned with bad recievers. He explained that although they keep both in stock and have no bias either way they install more XM by far and had very few issues. Maybe it's because I live in the Midwest and have fewer tall obstructions blocking my view to space. :lol:

So far, I haven't experienced any issues with my XM. Love it!

·
Registered
286 Posts
maznblu said:
He said Sirius. Evidently, they have had quite a few Sirius returned with bad recievers.
this is news to me. The Grubbs Rep over at FA clearly state the opposite many times.
i have never had an issue with the sirius reciever but read here and on FA many folks having problems with the XM receivers.
Also XM limit chracter read outs to 10 letters while sirius gives the whole name.
regarding selection, i have listen to XM and do not think the selections are any better. to each his own

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
FXLENT said:
Since you been talking about getting Sirius for about a year, you would think you would have logged on to Sirius and listened for free to see if you liked it prior to purchasing.
Can't do that on Linux. Besides, I figured (correctly) I'd have no problems with the selection, but NONE of their ads alert you to the fact that they've got (unnecessary) DJs yammering on and on on their channels. All they ever say is "Commercial Free", and that's not even true.

Plus your account of the DJ's is very exaggerated.
Oh? Yesterday, I heard them talk over three songs, and I heard a 60-second commercial (oh, sorry, they're commercial-free; "plug", then) promoting the very channel I was listening to.

You sure you're not on a "talk" channel?
The 40 and 50 blocks. Tune into 'em for 1/2 hour, and tell me I'm exaggerating. See how they'll break up the music after two songs with "That was <artist> on <channel> on Sirius! Now, comes <artist>!" - all completely redundant and useless information. If you're "lucky", you'll hear the DJs talking about so-and-so's latest movie for two minutes, or shout-outs to his momma on her birthday, like I did.

I'm going to write a snail-mail letter, but I suspect it won't make a bit of difference. I'll hang onto it for the year my current subscription's good for 'cause of the trouble of getting it and installing it, but unless things change, I won't be back after that. It's like Power106 with the "Universal City Nissan" plugs replaced by Sirius plugs.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
So, 18 months later, and I've given 'em another shot

So, because of the complaints I'd written about above, last June I tried out, then eventually switched to XM in my '45, putting all the Sirius stuff back in the box. I personally wish the Sat services' music stations were completely talk-free, but I guess that ain't gonna happen. Regardless, I was pretty happy with XM. (I pretty much only listen to the music channels and only in one particular genre on Sat radio.)

But I was at someone's house earlier this month who had Dish Network, which carries Sirius as its music stations. I'd put on "Hip Hop Nation" while I worked on their computer, and was surprised at how much quieter the DJs have been ("DJ Envy, the People's Choice" was positively muzzled compared to how he used to yak on and on) and the number of promo spots had come down.

... so, considering that I always like the sound quality and the R'n'B/HipHop selection better on Sirius, not to mention that the Nissan/Infiniti Sirius receiver has all the song title displayed (vs. the 10-character limit of the N/I XM receiver), I re-installed the Sirius reciever that's been sitting on the floor of my den back into my '45, and I have to admit, they've gotten better with the yakkin' and the promos.

I've only signed on for 3mo. minimum, but I'll probably keep it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
LOL...I was about to jump in with how wrong you were about Sirius but after looking at the dates, I have only been a subscriber of Sirius since January or so and I have zero complaints...I usually listen to Area33 & Boombox (34)....0 choice for trance/techno/house on terrestrial radio.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts