Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, tell me if you've ever heard of this: I'm driving home in afternoon rush hour traffic, parrallelling the freeway on the access road, going pretty slow in bumper to bumper traffic, right? This yellow step-side F150 pulls olong my right side and the guy (mid twenties white dude) driving waves to get my attention and motions for me to roll down my window. I figure it's just another guy wanting to comment on the FX (I've had this happen before), so I roll down the window and mute the radio. The guy yells over: "Dude, you're going to think I'm nuts, but do you know anyone who might be interested in a surround system? I just got this $5k surround sound system for free; I kid you not. If you pull over I'll show it to you." As he's talking, I'm scanning the interior of his extended cab. There's someone else in the car with him (didn't get a good look) and there were what appeared to be speaker boxes stacked in the back seat. I politely declined his offer and he immediately turned off to the right before I could pull ahead and get a look at his passenger and licence plate in my mirror.

What just happened? Weird thing is this has happened to me twice before. Once several years ago, exact same M.O. and once last summer, but that time the guys (different ones; different truck, at least) were parked in a parking lot and tried to reel me in with the same bit as I walked by right after parking near them.

Gee, I'm thinking if I had just gotten a $5k surround system for free, I sure as **** wouldn't be looking to unload it on the street (to someone driving a really nice car, incidentally). I'd either keep it or put it on Ebay. My two guesses are:
A. Sound system may have been real and they were trying to unload stolen merchandise :?
B. They were trying to get me someplace to either rob me, carjack me or both. :shock:

Scary thing is on all occurances, it was broad daylight and lots of traffic around. Little freaked out here. :oops:

·
Registered
338 Posts
This happened to me about 5 years ago at a shopping mall parking lot somewhere in Maryland. I think it is undercover police trying to catch someone buying some illegal/stolen stuff. I saw the speakers and they did look good and I was very tempted but my conscience said No!

·
Registered
320 Posts
boxes prolly had bricks in them...they take your money and split before you have time to figure it out... :shock:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
This happens all the time. The stereo's either non-existent, or a piece of ****, and they walk off with your money.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, dunno about the cop angle. That's entrapment and you'd think they'd pick better targets than luxury car drivers headed home at the end of the work day. 'Sides the first time it hapened several years ago, it was two young (late teens), pretty chicks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I saw the speakers and they were top of the line. It looked like something off of the infomercials that you would buy.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fortunately, I have a top of the line several $k surround system, so I've never been tempted, but man, this some crazy sh!t. :shock:

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've had two similar situations within the last year. Just driving around town, they pull up next to you and start going on about how they have some leftover stereo equipment from a previous install. Like I am going to buy it from some frickin dude off the street-right! WTF.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
ha :lol:

if i had a dollar for every time some dudes in a truck pulled up to me when i lived in NJ, i would be rich!

ever since i moved to DC, never had it happen again :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Speakers in a van… I’ve heard about it from many different people. Usually involves brand of speakers nobody heard of.

Someone I know actually bought a pair. Similar situation, white van stopped by his house while he was washing his car. Driver introduce himself as a technician who does custom HT installation. He sad that distributor load an extra pair of high end speakers into his van by mistake. Speakers supposedly cost 3K but he is willing to sell it for $350.
After some haggling, he let it go for $150…

Speaker actually well made, not a $3K but definitely a good buy for 150.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I'm starting to feel better in that all you guys have had this happen and it hasn't looked to be anything more serious than passing off cheap speakers for top shelf stuff. Just sound too weird; why the **** don't they just rip off people on Ebay like everybody else? :roll:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I think the same thing happened to me today, 'cept it was some STB's for an FX! ...go figure :shock:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Maybe they just thought you were CUTE :bootyshake:

·
Registered
706 Posts
PINITI-FX,

Are they any threads you don't post to?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
FXLENT said:
PINITI-FX,

Are they any threads you don't post to?
hey, he's 19 posts away from the big 1K....must be getting excited :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
I can see how he got there so quickly.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
A couple of years ago it happened to me as I was pulling out of the car wash at a convenience store. Remarkably, it was the same white van - they must have moved on! :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts