Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched but came up with nada. How hard is this to do? Anyone have a writeup handy? Advice?

TIA!

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Should be extremely easy given how much room we have up front. Be happy it's not a transverse engine where you need to get your hand/wrench up between the wheel well and the pulley where it's 2" wide! Here are the instructions from the FSM. Looks like a good day's worth of work taking your time and drinking a beer or four. If you need anything further, let me know:

http://gallery.kieranlavin.com/v/car/20 ... t.pdf.html

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much!!! Greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for the same information about changing the belts on our '04 FX35 and the link given is no longer is available.

Does anyone have any information on this? Surprised it isn't a pictorial how-to yet.

Thanks in advance,
Constantine

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Perhaps Kieran can check his links and get this up again...

Its not exactly difficult so I dont think we ever needed a pictoral on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear Kieran,

Thank you!

That warning about the center hex area seems pretty severe. Hope I don't muck it up. Can't imagine that auto tensioner would be inexpensive.

Cheers,
Constantine

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
constantine said:
That warning about the center hex area seems pretty severe. Hope I don't muck it up. Can't imagine that auto tensioner would be inexpensive.
This got me kinda confused... my belts are squealing so I think I need to tighten them... even though we have an "auto-tensioner"... so I'm guessing I need to tighten the bolt for BOTH auto-tensioners... and that thing about the "center hex" or whatever it is, I don't need to worry about?

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
First of all, I'm sorry but I have to say it... you're an idiot. But you already know that, right? Well, so am I so we're even...

Anyway, I started to respond to you based on your post and looking at the page from the FSM. While I haven't looked at or played with the pulleys, it appears as though the hex bolt is a trick reverse-threaded bolt that swivels or pivots? I've heard of this type of setup on an auto-tensioning pulley but never really looked at or played with. But looking at the FSM page, I don't see any opportunity for adjustment unless the entire pulley was loose or the tensioner was bad.

After I started to respond per the above, I thought "well, this is for the FX45, I'm assuming the 35 is the same but let me have a look" Turns out, the 35 doesn't have the trick auto tensioning pulley and you guys DO have an adjustment. Link below.

Now, in adjusting your tension, don't know if you know but you don't want to go TOO tight either or it will squeal also. There's usually a pretty wide range of acceptable. If it's squealing, put all of your accessories on and check (headlights, radio, rear defroster, AC, anything that's an electrical drain) and turn the steering wheel. If you get the squeal and the headlights dim a bit, you need to tighten. That's a rough estimate of how you know when it's time to tighten.

If you need any more help, you know where to find me

http://gallery.kieranlavin.com/d/12395- ... f0651cb8c0

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
kieranlavin said:
First of all, I'm sorry but I have to say it... you're an idiot. But you already know that, right? Well, so am I so we're even...
Don't worry... every time I forget my wife will remind me... even if I haven't forgotten about it yet, she'll remind me... :)

Thanks for the link... I'll take a looky look...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Kieranlavin,

Looks like both the links are no longer working.
Could you post a new one please ?

Thank you,
~Knaf

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone get access to the PDF? I am trying to replace my belts this weekend and it will be the first time I've tried to work on the car by myself so any help would be appreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts