Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hybrids are all the rage but I don't know if any of the current models are performance oriented. What if Infiniti came out with a hybrid FX that is slower, but handles the same? Would you replace your beast for better mpg?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,096 Posts
only if the hybrid was a V8 and a V6 working together :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
Why do you title them all "would you dump..." ?

It is bugging me :(

I feel like I should be considering getting a new car in the last weeks.




How about "Would you consider buying a Hybrid from Infiniti?"

My answer to that would be no. In NM, I would not feel safe in a hybrid. There are way too many car accidents out here where 2 % might come out alive. But if I lived in the city I would consider it, but it really depends where I live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet Fx said:
Why do you title them all "would you dump..." ?

It is bugging me :(

I feel like I should be considering getting a new car in the last weeks.




How about "Would you consider buying a Hybrid from Infiniti?"

.
OK Sweet, I changed the title and question. I'm all about pleasing you. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
Thank You very much :D


and I will still say no, that I would not buy a hybrid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
Hybrids may be all the rage; BUT they are not a sound financial decision. A simple math calculation will show that the extra costs of the hybrid engine can NOT be recouped by the gas savings - at least for now. Most people trade every 3-4 years and the amount of gallons saved at $2 a gallon isn't close to the extra cost of the car.

Consider a non-hybrid driven 15K miles per year at 20 mpg = 750 gallons.
Allow a hybrid the same 15K miles at 30 mpg (50% better) = 500 gallons.
250 gallons saved per year for 4 years at $2/gal = $2000 total savings. Most hybrids will cost well over $2000 above the non-hybrid; thus you can't break even.

I have no doubt that hybrids are the future and that prices will eventually drop; but I'll let others drive the market for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
No.

It would be hard to make it handle the same, given all the extra weight that the hybrid system would bring to the car. Hybrid/alternative powered vehicles have come a long way, but not far enough to enable performance oriented vehicles to be affordable and perform like their gas powered counterparts. Last one that sticks out in my mind was a Mitsibishi future Eclipse concept that was an AWD hybrid that was very quick, but the production costs made producing anything like it urealistic. We've still got a few years to go... I tell you, though, if gas prices keep escalating, auto companies are going to get more motivated to further develop this technology. Either that, or we're going to see the ruturn of the age of econoboxes and the death of the performance car ala the 70s all over again when people stop buying the gas guzzlers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
**** yeah...
the new Supra is supposedly going to be realeased with a 300HP hybrid motor :shock: :shock: :shock:
CAn't wait for that car! Buh bye FX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,096 Posts
mushutofu said:
**** yeah...
the new Supra is supposedly going to be realeased with a 300HP hybrid motor :shock: :shock: :shock:
CAn't wait for that car! Buh bye FX
just remember that when they say 300 HP, they add the total HP of both the engine and the motor...this case will never happen and therefore never get 300hp ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
Hybrids may be all the rage; BUT they are not a sound financial decision. A simple math calculation will show that the extra costs of the hybrid engine can NOT be recouped by the gas savings - at least for now. Most people trade every 3-4 years and the amount of gallons saved at $2 a gallon isn't close to the extra cost of the car.
I don't know that the big hybrid movement is necessarily cost-driven, and the (very) few people I know who have hybrids are not concerned about saving money, they are more into saving the planet and all that. According to them, they feel that they are "doing their part" to reduce the world's consumption of and dependency on fossil fuels.

For me, now a two SUV family, MPG is not a factor in the vehicles we own. When I was buying the FX, kicking @ss on the street was the primary reason!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
ShadyJC said:
msu79gt82 said:
Hybrids may be all the rage; BUT they are not a sound financial decision. A simple math calculation will show that the extra costs of the hybrid engine can NOT be recouped by the gas savings - at least for now. Most people trade every 3-4 years and the amount of gallons saved at $2 a gallon isn't close to the extra cost of the car.
I don't know that the big hybrid movement is necessarily cost-driven, and the (very) few people I know who have hybrids are not concerned about saving money, they are more into saving the planet and all that. According to them, they feel that they are "doing their part" to reduce the world's consumption of and dependency on fossil fuels.
I agree, those people are who I meant when I said I'd let others drive the market. There is also much hypocrisy involved!! If a potential hybrid owner was really worried about saving the planet they'd be satisfied with the Prius and not the RX330h.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I would be a hybrid customer. I am a sucker for a incredibly well designed car like the FX (cept' the dash) but I despise it's fuel guzzeling ways. I NEED a large enough cargo area for my work so a Prius or similar small car would not be an option.

I'm hoping to have an elecric car someday to offset my FX driving. Litihium Ion batterys are the answer once they drop in price by 20X.


eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
vfx said:
I'm hoping to have an elecric car someday to offset my FX driving. Litihium Ion batterys are the answer once they drop in price by 2OX.
Just one question...will that be in our lifetime? I'd go for one if I don't have to give up the performance, but only then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
..will that be in our lifetime? I'd go for one if I don't have to give up the performance, but only then.

I'm hoping! It really is all about the batteries. An electic motor can kick [email protected]@ with 0 to 60 times in the low 4's. The main problem beside weight is you can only go 100 miles before needing a recharge.

See these:
http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/kaz.html
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/top/story/ ... 56,00.html


Also, this 200hp car : http://www.acpropulsion.com/tzero_pages/tzero_home.htm
was made with lith-i batteries but it's $200K. It's not practical of course but prototypes never are. Tom Hanks is investing in the compay for thier first run of electrified Scion's.

The way oil prices are going I figure 3.50 to 4 bucks a gallon by the end of next year. Alternative energy will be looking pretty good by then...


eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
vfx said:
.The way oil prices are going I figure 3.50 to 4 bucks a gallon by the end of next year. Alternative energy will be looking pretty good by then...
The prices are starting to go down; many are predicting a return into the $30s soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Not only no- but **** no! And that's the truth!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
DAVESNELLING said:
Not only no- but **** no! And that's the truth!
I know for a fact that Conoco-Phillips is using $30 for their '05 price forecasts. Probably conservative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
No way,

And if it does it's only part of the cycle.
Haven't you ever noticed that gas always goes WAY UP in price and we all freak out, then it backs down to "only" 25 to 50 percent more than it way before the "crisis" -and then we are all grateful? Clever.

It's happened so many times it's not even funny.

And if you think it's going to get better then you need to learn the term "Peak Oil"


eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
Hybrid technology does involve integrated performance for a combination of electric motor(s) and a gas engine adding up HP/TQ for any given RPM. In general, each engine functions concurrently, not independently (e.g. 270HP rating for RX400H vs 230HP RX330). Weight is a concern and that's where the increase in power may not completely overcome the added weight of motors/battery. (e.g. Honda Hybrid Accord with +15HP.) We neglect one important aspect of electric motors. They produce great amounts of torque instantaneously at 0 RPMs (like an on/off switch).

All in all, the goal is to gain performance and gas mileage. Simple math may show that the increase in MPH won't offset the $3K+ premium in a vehicle for several years (even with CA. gas prices), but one forgets the $2000+ tax credits for energy-saving vehicles as well as other incentives by the IRS. Manufacturers will sell more and more luxury SUVs as the technology improves (lighter, more compact and efficient batteries) and as performance/gas mileage get better and better. The premium price hybrid option will incorporate higher-level features/technology on hybrid-only models as well.

Lexus mid/top models will sport hybrid technology in the near future such as the AWD flagship (LS500H?). It will be a smart way for Lexus to compete in overall power with the high-end while foregoing V-12s' expense, weight and limited cross-platform sharing.

Here's a cool site regarding the 2005 Lexus RX400H and how their AWD Hybrid technology works (many demos/pictorials):

http://www.lexus.com/models/hybrid/over ... _demo.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
vfx said:
And if you think it's going to get better then you need to learn the term "Peak Oil"


eric
Would that be the same "peak oil" that certain scientists have been dragging out for every burp we've had in oil supply/demand since the 70's? :roll:
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top