Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No he is not my cousin, brother or father and is not paying me for this review. I just like reviewing things that i use that turn out to be satisfactory.
I looked at other kits and read a lot of reviews but the burtman kit seemed to be a favorite of many. The sherwood kit looked nice too but i could not deal with the seam around the two center vents. I therefore settled on burtmans.
I ordered the main and overhead kits from him 10 days ago. He shipped the same day and i had them by last week Tuesday. Jason was very fast to respond to emails and he thoroughly answered all my questions and concerns. The kit came well packed and sealed as you can see from the last picture.
I decided to install right away. The temp was in the mid fifties that evening so i half way opened my garage, started the car and cranked up the heat. I could have used a hair dryer to heat up the kit but i decided to use the cars heater. I needed to be warm too!
The kit came with a single sheet of paper with clear instructions. The bottomline is to heat up the pieces so they are soft, clean the dash with alcohol, then water, then wait a couple of minutes for it to dry, peel off the clear tape from behind the kit and apply. The hardest part was making sure it lined up correctlly. In about 90 minutes, i installed all the parts that i wanted. I still have about 10 more parts that i may or may not install. For now i am happy with what i have installed.
One word of caution though; this kit is very unforgiving! As you can see from my first picture, i screwed up on the part around the "power", "mute" and "Volume" controls. i did not notice my mistake until the next day. It is almost impossible to correct it without doing some damage to the wood! When this thing sticks, IT STICKS! The little mistake is not really noticeable unless you get really close to it like i did in that shot. I can live with it. If it bothers me too much in the future, i will try to correct it and if i mess it up further, i will order another radio piece.
Overall, i am happy i went with Burtmans. Though it was not cheap, it looks very good and i have received many positive feedbacks in the 5 days i have had them in. So far, i give the kit 2 thumbs up!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
05fxguy said:
The sherwood kit looked nice too but i could not deal with the seam around the two center vents. The hardest part was making sure it lined up correctlly. One word of caution though; this kit is very unforgiving! As you can see from my first picture, i screwed up on the part around the "power", "mute" and "Volume" controls. It is almost impossible to correct it without doing some damage to the wood! I can live with it. If it bothers me too much in the future, i will try to correct it and if i mess it up further, i will order another radio piece. Overall, i am happy i went with Burtmans. Though it was not cheap
Don't be so Hard on yourself. :( Now you see why http://sherwooddash.com/ provides a 2-piece part at that location (instead of 3 piece). It makes for a Neat & Clean installation that's Easier to Live with. It's also why they Don't use Large "Cut Outs" & Openings. Instead, Sherwood Re-writes the logo & words Under the clear laminate to further eliminate the problems you ran into. (& it doesn't look like an afterthought, especially where all the Vent controls are) :? http://199.236.3.232/search.htm?=sherwooddash * * Sherwood Costs Le$$ too!! If you purchased Directly from http://superiordash.com/ maybe they will give you a new piece. It's worth a try, as you say it was not cheap! :shock:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Maybe He/Jason can give you a FREE piece under Warranty, so it won't Bother you so much in the Future! :( BTW do you have any brighter pics?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PINITI-FX said:
05fxguy said:
The sherwood kit looked nice too but i could not deal with the seam around the two center vents. The hardest part was making sure it lined up correctlly. One word of caution though; this kit is very unforgiving! As you can see from my first picture, i screwed up on the part around the "power", "mute" and "Volume" controls. It is almost impossible to correct it without doing some damage to the wood! I can live with it. If it bothers me too much in the future, i will try to correct it and if i mess it up further, i will order another radio piece. Overall, i am happy i went with Burtmans. Though it was not cheap
Don't be so Hard on yourself. :( Now you see why http://sherwooddash.com/ provides a 2-piece part at that location. It makes for a Neat & Clean installation that's Easier to Live with. It's also why they Don't use "Cut Outs." Instead, Sherwood Re-writes the logo & words Under the clear laminate to further eliminate the problems you ran into. :? If you purchased Directly from http://superiordash.com/ maybe they will give you a new piece. It's worth a try, as you say it was not cheap! :shock: Give them a call, maybe they can warranty it. :?:
Trust me Piniti, i LOVE saving money. I called Superior and what they quoted me was more expensive than Jasons :shock:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
ive been thinking about doing some VERY minor wood accents for a while now, but the place where i want to put them is not covered by most of the kits that i have seen discussed here.

namely, look at the trim on the sides of the center console in the pic below.

the only place i see this is from NY City Dash. anyone know if burtman can do this or have any info about NY city dash?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ask Burtman himself. He got me some individual pieces upon my request.
Not cheap, but much cheaper than buying a whole kit, just for those pieces.
He is most accomodating, and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
For Any FX Owner who Ever does a Search for Wood Trim, BirdMan, a member here, has found the Sherwooddash kit for an unbelievable price of just $179 Shipped! ~ Nobody has to pay $500+ again for overpriced jburtman crap :lol: http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3405 For those "on the fence," your Wait is over! 8) Go BirdMan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.