Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - new member here. Had my FX35 for less than 1 week.

I've wanted to break up that massive dash with some color, but have been concerned with using a stick-on kit on the radio/climate control since the thickness of the stickers will cause the buttons to be recessed.

I think I found a solution:

http://www.apsisusa.com/Lamination%20Wo ... sindex.htm

The downside of this process is that we have to send them the actual piece. Either remove ours, or buy a spare. The upside is a piece that looks factory made.

I sent them photos and specs of the radio surround and they quoted a price of $175 for that piece.

We may be able to reduce the cost if several of us order from them - I haven't asked yet.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
361 Posts
First off, welcome to the boards.

Second, another Houstonian!! Woo-hoo!!

Third, hmm...instead of being without your dash while its sent off to them, perhaps you can buy off junkyard totaled FX dash and send that in instead? The fact that it gives off a look of factory made is a big plus. But I would have to wait and see. Don't wanna shell out $175 to be a guinea pig.

Anyone else have experience with them?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I think my main concern is the durability of their product. It must be paper thin in order to mold it to compound angles and have no thickness.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sensei, thanks for the welcome.

Judge, I'm concerned about this as well, but it looks like they cover it with a fairly heavy clear coat. The shape of the radio surround is also much simpler than the Hummer interior shown in the sample photo.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think it looks very good and promising. I'd be interested to see results.... Keep us posted...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PINITI-FX said:
$175 for 1 beautifully made custom piece :shock: O.K.,
Actually it will be more than that when you add the price for a second radio surround. However, this does not feel that expensive compared to the nearly $40K for the car.

No matter how good a kit is, it still looks like a sticker. I think that your dash looks significantly better than some of the others for exactly the reasons you stated in other threads - no cutouts + printing, but it still does not cover the piece 100%. I think that it works better on a dark piece, but will look (at least to me) pretty bad with my light interior.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Not so bad? ...huh?
Just use LESS pieces than this owner did. :oops:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
sinapps said:
I think that your dash looks significantly better than some of the others for exactly the reasons you stated in other threads - no cutouts + printing.
Ahhh ..You've been Lurking silently. ~ Thanks for Your Observation. :oops:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This one is very nice, no doubt. I don't like 2 things on it:

1) The interior of the recessed area around the screen is still the light grey rubber.

2) The left side of the radio surround is a separate piece. You either leave it off, or add it and see the seam.

I'm determined to be a guinea pig for this project :lol:

I have a wood sample coming to see how it will look with my interior - want to try the same matte rosewood that's in the new Range Rover:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Reminds me of the New "M"
Pretty Rosewood, huh? 8) Is this the"enveloped" effect you're looking to achieve?

·
Registered
187 Posts
sinapps said:
PINITI-FX said:
$175 for 1 beautifully made custom piece :shock: O.K.,
Actually it will be more than that when you add the price for a second radio surround. However, this does not feel that expensive compared to the nearly $40K for the car.

No matter how good a kit is, it still looks like a sticker. I think that your dash looks significantly better than some of the others for exactly the reasons you stated in other threads - no cutouts + printing, but it still does not cover the piece 100%. I think that it works better on a dark piece, but will look (at least to me) pretty bad with my light interior.

I would definitely be interested on your outcome. Please keep us updated with any new details you come across. Do you have any idea on the price of all this? Thank you for taking on this effort! I believe many FX owners are looking more for quality, rather then the lowest cost alternative. Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
319 Posts
PINITI-FX,

Is that Rosewood on the Willow FX ?

My TL is Parchment and whatever color is on the FX you posted would go perfectly

FYI, I installed the Sherwood Kit on our FX and have no problems at all with the Radio buttons. The only one that is slightly recessed is the "Mute" Button

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
BirdMan said:
PINITI-FX,

My TL is Parchment and whatever color is on the FX you posted would go perfectly

FYI, I installed the Sherwood Kit on our FX and have no problems at all with the Radio buttons. The only one that is slightly recessed is the "Mute" Button
That or maybe Birdseye?
btw, Sherwood and B&I Just merged for even better offerings.

·
Registered
789 Posts
So whats the difference between the -Apsis real wood laminant- and -Apsis molded real wood- ? I'm thinking the molded real wood is the same thing as Sherwood kit. ??
If they are both glued onto the existing dash piece, whats the difference? Just thickness?
BTW, I'm thinking the matte finish may look like fake plastic veneer.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
so i just spoke with a lady at that APSIS store and she said a few things, 1) after the wood laminate is put on they then place all the printing that would be on the normal dash, then they clear coat it; 2) there are no individual sticker pieces or visible edges, everything molds seamlessly around edges, corners, bends, and folds; 3) you can do what ever pieces you want, just send them in (or send them a picture of the piece) and they will give you a quote; 4) since this is a very delicate by-hand process the price may add up depending on your trim pieces, however the end product looks just like factory and 1000% better than sticker wood kits; 5) the hummer that they mentioned on the website was a total of approx 50-60 trim pieces and ended up costing about $7-8,000....i gawked at this price however she mentioned that the owner did some off the wall trim pieces for their hummer and also to keep in mind that hummer's trim pieces are a lot bigger in size than the average car or suv

all in all i would like to see how it looks before i start yanking trim pieces out of my fx, i liked sensei's idea and go get some trim pieces from a junk yard or u-pullit place for a totalled fx....the smaller the piece the cheaper the cost....send it in and see how it turns out....minimal out lay of cash and we get to see a sample...

i'm curious to see how it turns out...

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
You did say $7 - $8,000 :shock: Not $7 - $800, right? Even if it were as low as $1000, which one of you 4 previous posters who expressed interest, are lining up first? ...and please Show Us the Results.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
BirdMan said:
PINITI-FX,

thats rosewood on the new 05 G35 interior. i personally LOVE it :)

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
yes i did say 7-8 thousand, hehe, you're right even if the price were $1,000 must be one heck of a good job to make me get in line, but then again it's all for the mod...

i went to a auto upholstery shop and they do custom leather upgrades for all kinds of cars, they use this really super soft leather, it was like heaven touching this material, there was a 2003 fx there that they were re-upholstering, they only finished the driver's seat when i was there and i was kicking myself for not having my digital camera, it looked GREAT, they said they would take a picture for me when it was done...but i digress...my point was that the cost to re-leather the entire fx was $899, and they were going to redo everything (seats, backs, armrests, etc) in 100% leather

so for a cool grand (if that will be the real cost to do an entire fx) i think the wood laminate is not a bad mod considering not many fx's out there will have it...actually most fx's would have the stick on kind pieces....

so i guess being original comes at a price, i'm sure there are people on this forum whould would easily drop a grand into interior mod but would never drop that kind of money into the engine or rims or tires or shocks or intakes or exhaust

so...to each his own....

i just want to see what it really looks like, i ordered a sample today...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.