Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
First post. I'm looking for some direction on how to troubleshoot an issue which developed on my 2008 FX35.

I hadn't driven it for quite a while because I suspected it needed brakes replaced. When I went to start it, the battery was dead. Jump started it, drove it from driveway to front of house where I parked it. I had planned on leaving it running, but I got a call and got distracted and turned it off.

When it was time to move it back into the driveway, it wouldn't start. No surprise. I hooked it up to jump start it but the car was dead. No lights on the dash, no audible alerts, no clicking when I tried to start it. It did allow me to turn the ignition without the key, so it was able to recognize the key was in the car.

I checked the fuses and found a couple of fuses blown. Fuse 17 for the Bose Amp and the 120 Amp fuse on the battery block. The other fuses on the battery block looked OK. The positive terminal was a bit corroded, which I cleaned up. The negative terminal looked clean and was tight. Upon attempting to replace the 20 Amp Bose Amplifier fuse, it blew again immediately. I thought that was interesting considering that the battery was low.

I have no idea what root cause is. I'm interested to hear if anyone has any ideas. Here's my thoughts on plan of attack...
1) Get the new battery block fuse from the dealership for around $60 or $70
2) Find and disconnect the Bose Amplifier.
3) Replace the battery block and try to jump start the car again.
4) Leave it running to charge the battery.
5) Get the brakes serviced. ;-)

I assume that replacing the battery block fuse will cause the console lights and everything to return to normal. Hopefully it jump starts without issues, but I have no idea why the Bose Amp fuse keeps blowing.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

.A

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK...I got it fixed so I thought I would update as to what the issue was.

As for the 120A fuse, I'm pretty sure it blew when I was trying to jumpstart it after initially moving it from the driveway to the street.

I purchased a new "Fuseable Link Holder" (Part # 24380-79913) and replaced it. During this process, performed all of the standard things like cleaning the posts, cleaning the terminal clamp (not included as part of the purchased part, but can be purchased on Amazon for $10, shipped). During the replacement process, I removed a wire which I'm 90% sure fed power to an after-market trailer hitch. I never use it, so no loss. This was connected to the terminal clamp bolt that connects the terminal clamp to the new Fuseable Link Holder.

After I did this, I tried to jumpstart the car again using the method I have used in the past (+ & - cables attached to battery posts on car providing power, and on the dead vehicle, + cable attached to battery, and - cable attached to frame). This didn't work...I got no power in the car still. I checked to see if I was getting power to the dead battery and both clamps sparked slightly to show that they were energized.

I removed the cables, and looked at all of the fuses again in the internal panel. All were good, and interestingly enough, I put a 20A fuse back into the Bose Amp socket and it was no longer instantly blowing (like it had been). I took this opportunity to also removed a dual fuse expansion power wire which I had connected to fuse socket 1 (which provided power and an extra fuse for a dash cam.)

With this change in behavior on the 20A Bose Amp fuse, I suspected that the wire for the after-market trailer hitch got damaged and was causing an issue with the Bose Amp circuit. If this thought was correct, this was a red herring and completely separate from my lack of power to the console.

After making sure the fuses looked good again, I tried jump-starting the car again, but this time put the cables to the battery posts on both cars. This time, I got into the car and saw the light around the keyhole (which I wasn't seeing before). I tried to start it, and it attempted to turnover, but was not yet charged enough to do so. Knowing I was on the right track, I left it a few minutes and it started up. I let it run for a bit to recharge the battery.

Moral of the story, I need to get rid of the after-market trailer hitch and be more careful when jump-starting vehicles in the future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts