Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
This kind of thing is WAY too easy to shoot holes through. First of all, the title doesn't define "best", but the text seems to indicate that they're basing it on which gender causes the most accidents. Well, do you need a study to figure that out, or could they have just asked any insurance company...they've all got the records. If you define best as more skilled, well, you don't see very many women winning at the strip, or on the track...though there are certainly exceptions, and it may also simply be due to the more agressive nature of males.

<rant>
Am I defensive about this, well, obviously. Having only had two low speed (sub 5mph) fender benders, in thirty years of aggressive driving (my definintion of that term differs from the medias...I go (very?) fast, but signal, don't tailgate, and don't weave), I disagree with the concept that speed is the factor in so many accidents. Relative speed to other vehicles counts. Going too fast for the conditions counts. But "too fast" depends on the driver, the vehicle, traffic, and weather...not on some traffic engineers charts and averages when they set the speed limit.
</rant>

·
Registered
39 Posts
All I know is that if my sister-in-law had been included in this study, the overall results would have been reversed.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
pudicus said:
www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_901861.html?menu=news.quirkies
Yeah, OK. I've nearly had accidents 'caused by trying to avoid clueless women drivers so many times it's not funny. Had I not been able to use my better skills to keep control, the resulting accident would have been charged to me as a male driver.

·
Registered
39 Posts
kcrudup said:
pudicus said:
www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_901861.html?menu=news.quirkies
Yeah, OK. I've nearly had accidents 'caused by trying to avoid clueless women drivers so many times it's not funny. Had I not been able to use my better skills to keep control, the resulting accident would have been charged to me as a male driver.
Oh, you've met my sister-in-law?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
oh boy.....

are they still publishing these *statistics* :lol:

there must be a lot of men somewhere in like north dakota causing accidents becuase the ones i see in everyday life in the DC area are nearly 100% women.

must be women in charge of the automotive insurance companies :roll:

i just drive on the *fact* that i cant trust the other driver.....regardless of sex. you can get nailed standing still like i did if you drop your guard for a split second.

i do think that teenage girls are WAY worse than ANY other group though ....

·
Registered
286 Posts
well
i have been hit twice in twenty years both by male drivers.
i guess i am driving in europe :roll:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
the wildest thing is that for some reason men think that women are worse and women think that men are worse :D

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
bradical said:
the wildest thing is that for some reason men think that women are worse and women think that men are worse :D
That's easy- men think women are slow and don't pay attention, and we're always swerving around women to avoid accidents. Women think men drive too fast.

Of course, they're not the same thing at all. I'm driving a GFs Benz this weekend (I can't bear to drive my FX 'till it goes in on Monday and gets fixed) and she hates the way I drive it (i.e., in the manner the Germans expected), whereas I think she wastes the **** outta that car.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
I was out getting the windows on the FX tinted today.

I was not sure what comments if any I was going to add to this one, but . . .

I love driving and I am not even close to ever driving slow. As soon as I see anything coming up from behind, I speed up. If I see anyone driving slow, I look to pass as quick as I can. I hate the way most people drive and I take the fastest route to get around them, so they don't hit me. Kinda like all the drunk drivers out there, pass them as fast as you can before they have a chance to cause an accident.

I almost got hit by a women the other day and she just looked at me like I was in the wrong. She was going the wrong way in a parking lot isle. I think most women drive slow cuz they have no idea what their car can do and don't care, as long as it gets them to point B. So of course to the insurance co. like them. My insurance co. likes me cuz I have a lot of insurance (3 cars, 2 bikes, life, home & business). I dont know if they like me cuz I'm a women, I think they like me cuz a spend $$. Some guys, take the whole car thing a little too far sometimes and ruin for the rest of them. You know, the whole pi***ing match.

I have Never let my sister (or anyone else) drive any of my cars, she has crashed up 6 cars so far in 4 years. She has no respect for the art of driving. :D

All in fun. By the way, if I had the $$ I would me out there trying to make my mark on the drag. I live for an "off the line match" anytime, anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I think most women drive slow cuz they have no idea what their car can do and don't care, as long as it gets them to point B.
So TRUE, but don't u think if u are going that slow that u would be more likeley to follow traffic laws?

Today, this lady was driving like 15 in a 35 and she ran a red light right in front of me. just cruised through the intersection like it was no big deal LOL. someone honked and she just put her hands up in the air as if to say "what i do?" Going that slow she had all the time in the world to see the red light beforehand, so sup with that?

oh and ur right abut the pissing matches. sometimes we just speed up for no reason to see who is willing to go the fastest on the freeway. i usually do this until my radar detector goes off at which point i slam on the brakes and watch the other dude get pulled over. Few thank god for valentine.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I think it was summed up best, when:
Sweet Fx said:
I think most women drive slow cuz they have no idea what their car can do and don't care, as long as it gets them to point B.
... like my current GF. So, we're in the Benzi today, and I'm manually shifting and using the trip computer and programming the memory seats for her and she had no idea any of this stuff was in her car- and she's had it for 6 months. Her routine? Putting it in "D" and gassing it up. She's never cracked her owners manual (and I downloaded the one for the FX and had it down before I even signed on my car) and she had the dealer program the FM presets for her- this a woman with a Master's degree and a Top-Secret clearance at Edwards AFB.

She can't understand my (her so-called) "obsession" with my car- why I picked it, why I drive it like I do, why I smile like that. She bought a Benz 'cause it's a Benz. That engine in that C320 today probably breathed a sigh of relief (and probably had the sludge blown out of it) today- somebody drove it in the manner in which it was meant to be driven.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The article states: "Of all road accidents, less than 35% were caused by women." :? This statistic is meaningless. It does not account for the amount of driving being done by either group. One could also state: "Of all road accidents, zero were caused by gerbils." Does that mean that gerbils are better drivers than men? No, because gerbils simply don't do all that much driving. One way to make a more equitable comparison would be to compare accidents per mile driven by each group (males vs. females). Perhaps the study factored this in, but it's not evident in the article.

It's reasonable to assume that men may have more accidents simply because they do more of the driving. When you consider couples and families traveling together, it's typically the man that gets behind the wheel. Now I have absolutely no data to back this up -- it's just a personal observation.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
yup...if 65 percent of all cars are driven by men, and 35 percent by women then men and women cause the same amount of accidents....which is probably more realistic

·
Registered
848 Posts
Interesting...gendercenter.org site says that women accounted for 38% of miles driven in 1995, compared with 28% in '77. Wonder when the "study" was done? One of the scary stats on that site shows that folks over 85 have as many (female) or more (male) "passenger vehicle deaths/100k people in 2000" than people in the 20-24 age range...the drop off appears to start at about age 70. hwysafety.org shows basically the same figures.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Just sharing:

Yesterday within about 4 min and less the 1/2 mile I almost witness two crashes. Both of them, men, did the same thing.

First one, he wanted to make left turn while traffic coming towards him. He just could not wait any longer and then just turned into traffic. Freaked me out. There was like 6 cars screaching to a halt.

Second one, almost hit me in the same way. He could not wait for me to make it thru the green light and turned at my backend.

I believe in the saying "wait 10 seconds and save $10k"

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Sweet Fx said:
Second one, almost hit me in the same way. He could not wait for me to make it thru the green light and turned at my backend.
I believe this completely- as a man, I'm more than willing to cop to the fact that men's accidents are the result of our deliberately causing 'em- but most of the near-misses I've had with women are 'cause they had no idea what TF they were doing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts