Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the interstate here in Dallas today and we had 30-40mph wind gusts throughout the day. In addition, we had 5 inches of snow on Saturday so there was plenty of sand along the shoulder of this particular section of highway. Well, I was driving about 70mph into this gusty wind when I thought I was coming under small arms fire. The wind had created this small sand storm with the sand and blew it directly into my oncoming FX. I heard a lot of sand hitting the windshield and front of my FX. At this same time, a small rock hit my windshield and chipped a small hole in it.

When I got home to look it over, I realized that the sand had made a bunch of pin size marks or "scratches" on the windshield and the front lip of the hood (have clear bra on front bumper). These a pin size remind you, but all over the windshield.

I expect this chip to develope into a crack as we have seen/read on FA. Seeing all the pin sized sand marks on the windshield tells me that this windshield is very brittle/soft and cannot take much abuse. You really can't see the pin size marks from the inside, but when cleaning the outside you can really tell at an angle. Someone said the OEM windshield is $900. Guess I'll have this to look forward to if my thought process is accurate.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
ahhhhh

thats what its like every winter in the northeast. ive owned several cars from different makers and none of the windshields have lasted more than a year or two before they are just peppered with pits. you can espeically see them in the sun. i dont hink the FX WS is any worse than any other ive seen. mine is about 7 moths old and i have had a few snow storms and have normal pitting for the age of the car.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm glad to hear that this is normal for the situation. We need alot of sand down here because people have no clue how to handle the snow.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
yeah...i wouldnt be too concerned with the windshield.....just try and keep the paint in good shape. you can replace your windshield every few years if needed for the cost of your deductible but getting paint fixed (espeically on these metal flake paint jobs) is touch and go.

when my G35 got smashed, everyone said that the repaint job looked great, but it was blatantly obvious that it was repainted to me....i knew it would eat at me forever so i decided to suck up the loss and move into the FX.....boy an i glad i did in hindsight :D

i just loaded my FX up with as many coats of zaino as possible to keep the surface protected from the polishing of dust and salt. rock chips are a differnt story though :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts