Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an FX37 that makes (at slow speeds) a whomp whomp noise from the front, at higher speeds it's more of a howl. I can't determine if it's coming from tires or from the wheel bearings. I checked reviews of tires and most that thought the tires were noisy found out after changing them out that it was wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Use a thermal gun on the wheel bearings after a decent drive... If one shows hotter than the others, you definitely have wheel bearing issues... But there's also the possibility you have both bad wheel bearings AND loud tires...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Use a thermal gun on the wheel bearings after a decent drive... If one shows hotter than the others, you definitely have wheel bearing issues... But there's also the possibility you have both bad wheel bearings AND loud tires...
interesting, I've never thought to do this wrt wheel bearings. do you actually have to shoot the bearing or can you shoot the housing/hub/knuckle?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
If you're unsure, shoot both on either side... but you should be fine just shooting the bearing...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reminds me of knobby tires on the 4x4, always howled on freeway and womp womp womp when coming to stop...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts