Infiniti FX Forum banner

221 - 240 of 280 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
I saw your post on another thread under FI and if 700+ is your target you need to talk to John and understand that you are pusing the envelop at those power levels in terms of weak links...what has to be replaced to be reliable

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could I accomplish ~520RWHP safely with your kit for example?

I think that would make me happy with the FX.

·
Registered
906 Posts
GoFastCDG said:
Could I accomplish ~520RWHP safely with your kit for example?

I think that would make me happy with the FX.
Unless you plan on making even more radical changes to the drivetrain it will not be RWHP being that the 45 only comes AWD which for that amount of power would be more useable then RWD and I don't think your 1/4 mile times would suffer being only AWD!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's right, brainfart about calling it RWHP.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Chance are if the tranny is anything like a G35/350Z it won't hold 500 rwhp for long. Nissan didn't build there auto trannys to strong. Plus earlier 45's shift to slow for that kind of power.

·
Registered
167 Posts
engine cooling.

Looking under the hood again today in prep for the AT rebuild...

Considering the stress imposed by forced induction... and the size of the stock radiator... shouldn't we worry about overheating? Even 2.0L honda's have much larger radiators...

and a transmission radiator is a good safe bet too. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
A page or two back,several of us have requested a thicker radiator core to secure adequate cooling and hopefully an electric fan
Cooling on these is very well controlled and my tech says they do not see problems with the cooling system(PRE FI)

Elsewhere I have discussed the torque management that virtually all manufacturers use to drop cylinders and cut timing on shifts to help the trans live
With the available aftermarket VB's and now higer grade clutch packs and additonal clutches in those packs...the trans issues should be solved...up to a very high level

·
Registered
317 Posts
As far as the cooling system goes, I think nissan designed all there radiators the same. My 350 Z has the same core thckness as my FX 45. I live in florida and some times I can hear my truck boiling after a very long highway run cruising at 90 mph. I didn't know about any new clutch paks that were available for us. I'll wait and see how this pans out.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
There are several of the new clutch packs in use on FX's(better frictions and extra with better frictions) all performing well,Level 10 and several different make VB's

·
Registered
167 Posts
brnjug said:
Two things
....yes for the DIY with adequate skills and tools
...A thicker core radiator will be included in the higher end kit and available for others

Personal dream come true,we have located a fabricator for the collars to fit the Nismo LSD to the 45.To **** with the VDC on/off the LSD will help traction/cornering tremendously...that piece started to come together today and not yet finalized,but real close
Was rereading the thread. ^^^ LSD sounds interesting. Was there any progress made in that direction? If yes, how can one order the LSD with custom flanges for FX45?!?

Oh, and the main project... where is it at now?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
When they get my car,they will pull the differential and with a LSD on hand fabricate the flanges to make the 35 LSD fit.so it will be a bolt in(ring and pinion must be set up again)
LSD's are in the $1000+ range

Whipple
I expected a report on the fab shop visit and timeline last week,so yes I am pushing for that closure

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does the FX rear diff look like these ones?

If it does, a limited slip may be as easy as just installing one it and getting the tolerances right.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
About 2 years ago,I bought a Nismo and had it installed...the shop could not because the flanges were different...So the plan outlined above comes from experience(trial and error) and some modifaction is necessary...Nismo was not interested,but it is not that difficult.Of the 4 places I checked on whether or not the differential would fit only one said no...Infiniti.I did get a full refund
Nik_0 since yours is different in some ways,you may want to double check

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
If we can kick this project out of stall and into movement,the manifold is the big hurdle, then this kit moves forward

The Whipple has more power potential and far fewer drawbacks than the other SC options on the market(for 35's)..and should be priced a tad higher but competitive(not CARB certified)
Answer to the question is yes and is discussed in the thread, somewhere

·
Registered
383 Posts
ThatFrenchGuy said:
first of all, the cayenne s is 385 hp, not 520. The cayenne turbo is 500 not 520.. i dont know where 520 came from, not to mention the cayenne turbo is 100k.

will this work for the 35 or not?
520= cayenne turbo S maybe im not sure of the numbers

·
Registered
167 Posts
marksport said:
Does the FX rear diff look like these ones?

If it does, a limited slip may be as easy as just installing one it and getting the tolerances right.
Rear Diff looks like leftmost or center one on those pictures.

Lets hear more about the LSD.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
There are at least 3 or 4 different LSD's on the market that will fit the housing.On the '03 and newer FX45's the flanges are larger...a simple machine shop solution
A couple are externally adjustable for slippage(race v street) and are sensitive to the type of lube used and the frequency of changing it

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
221 - 240 of 280 Posts