Infiniti FX Forum banner

181 - 200 of 280 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
When our manifold is ready,I believe it will speak for itself in terms of port design and air handling and general good looks,but clearly beyond this design. John has already addressed the size of the heat exchanger under his consideration.

·
Registered
18 Posts
rookie said:
Just looked back at the photos on page 3, sorry for the repost I haven't followed this thread that much. How was that other kits execution compared to what you guys have planned? Was there an intercooler in the other kit? Front of that Q looked like it was running a front mount cooler, how thick is the heat exchanger or was there one?
From other images I have seen it apears that the heat exchanger on this particular kit was designed to control manifold temp more than air intake temp. I could be wrong then only way to really find out is to cut one up... ANY VOLUNTEERS?!?!?!?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not quite convinced that these VK45 motors can handle 500RWHp bolt on SC system

These rods and pistons came out of a 350Z VQ35 pushing 400RWHp. In my Q45, i'm running an air-to-water intercooler and heat exchanger in the manifold. I'm skeptical about the reliabilty of my motor as it is, and am now considering building a forced induction longblock.

I can see 100HP increase as stated at the beginning of the thread, making 370-400RWHp. Going from 280ish to 500RWHp is nearly an 80% and puts tremendous stress on the entire motor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
marksport said:
I'm not quite convinced that these VK45 motors can handle 500RWHp bolt on SC system

These rods and pistons came out of a 350Z VQ35 pushing 400RWHp. In my Q45, i'm running an air-to-water intercooler and heat exchanger in the manifold. I'm skeptical about the reliabilty of my motor as it is, and am now considering building a forced induction longblock.

I can see 100HP increase as stated at the beginning of the thread, making 370-400RWHp. Going from 280ish to 500RWHp is nearly an 80% and puts tremendous stress on the entire motor.
Talking about 2 different animals here. The Vk has Titanium Rods unlike the VQ's Cast rods. By the looks of it you had a bad tune anyway. To much timing or not enough fuel detonation is a bad thing. I know. I have many cust pushing over 400whp with no problems.
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Titanium rods? I didn't know that. I knew they had titanium valves...but I don't really know much on the VK's (heck, I don't know much about the VQ's either)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
I have said before that the 4.5 is built solid,much more than the 3.5...6 bolt mains and lots of titanium...but detonation and quality of the tune is key, and John has a solid history with 3.5's over 400hp

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Sorry for any uninformed questions. I have read very little about the internals on the VK45.

The valves are advertised as titanium. I've never read of the rods being titanium, must be pretty light. Do you have any pictures of the internals?

How are the pistons in terms of stength? Ringlands pretty beefy? Being a V8 I would imagine you tq numbers will be impressive boosted.

Having blown a motor and having had communications with others during their process I wish that on noone. But explaining and showing some of the internal characteristics may put some more faith into any doubters.

No worries about the compression ratio?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Obviously,John can answer any or all or none of these.The key is he has a full motor to work from and the access to a good parts supply and once the kit is done and dyno'd the proof will be there.
He is also a proven tuner using the best equipment...Some of what is being asked is available to your own research

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Some Know ... and some think they know - so others can believe They know ... ya know!? :wink:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Titanium connecting rods on the VK? Hard to believe. Forged steel maybe, cast most likely. But I'm certainly no expert on Nissan internals. I do think that rookie asked some valid questions that deserve an actual informed response.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not disputing that 500RWHp is possible out of these motors, i'm just skeptical it can be done on with the stock internals and be nearly as reliable as it was stock.

http://www.pauter.com/titanium.htm

Very few cars use titanium rods from the factory. The above link shows how much lighter they are and also the cost. I've been quoted around $1600 for forged rods.

http://www.nissannews.com/site_library/events/infiniti/indy/engine.shtml

According to that link, they are forged rods, so no need for aftermarket conrods. Titanium valvetrain is great being lightweight, but durability under forced induction?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
I am checking the rod status today,

Compression is typically a false issue.It must be addressed by the tuner to avoid detonation but that is within the range of most of the better tuners today and the equipment today.I was recently PM'ing someone from 350Z with a stocke long block and in excess of 500hp...living,certainly the number of 3.5's with 400 plus power with stock blocks/pistons..in a few cases better rod bollts.
From my Buick friends,they no longer use the heavier racing blocks and $4K cranks but the stock rolled fillet and run 9's because of the better detonation control...electronics are much better
Earlier in the thread,my friend in Miami,has been installing
Whipple's for awhile,w/o intercoolers and using stock ECU's and making 110-150hp at 6-7 pounds boost..his 454 had 150,000 miles when he sold it with the Whipple,and all trouble free
Until the kit is done and installed,dyno'd and used in everyday use,all questions will not be answered..BUT,the Whipple offers gains in power and reliability that other FI do not approach

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't wait for this kit to come out; it's actually solidifying the FX45 as my choice which helps coming from a 4.6L blown V8 now.

The Whipple is a great piece; positive displacement blowers offer a much more street-friendly experience, that's why they're in Cobra Mustangs, Mercedes, Toyotas, ect... you have right-now boost at virtually any rpm from idle on up; absolutly ZERO delay. They add a huge amount of torque, especially down low. I would expect the FX45 to take 400-450 at the wheels safely (keeping in mind with AWD, this is well over 500hp at the motor).

The motors ability to take the power will depend on a lot of things, but #1 will be the tune. Those Z rods look like detination, which will also crack pistions and kill bearings. Keep in mind the a VK motor making that power level is spreading the job across 2 more cylinders... Upgraded pump and injectors I would think are a must.. On FI Mustangs, we see the need for upgraded fuel controler too.

Like the Vortech/Procharger units, the Whipple might not need a cooler for lower boost levels, but get it anyway, it does help and you'll want a cooler if/when you turn up the boost. And trust me- you will want to.

Don't know anything about the tranny, but agreed- it'll want some higher line pressure for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Hopefully,BoostAddict,you will like the final package.While John and I spent some time e-mailing over the weekend,I spent an hour on the phone with DaveO looking at 45 engine schematics and headers look like a significant power gain...The closer we get the more fine tuning of the plan ...thank you for the input
At the "least" the rods are forged,but I have been unable to get to my sources to check ,although both John and I had read titanium

·
Registered
208 Posts
As far as the con rods go I think they are only forged not Ti, seeing as they are about $163 each, however what is interesting is the engine internals vary for instance the pistons are listed separately for 03-04 and 05-06 at Infiniti Parts.com.

181 - 200 of 280 Posts