Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Costco today, should I buy Mobil 1 5W30 or 10W30? I live in the SF Bay Area so temps are moderate. The FX is driven about 150 miles/wk. Aftermarket oil filter or genuine Nissan brand? Thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Recommeded viscosity per Infiniti manual is 5w-30.

I live in Northern NJ with temperature ranging from 0F to 100F and run Mobil 1 5w-30 year round. Have been using the same oil with great results in my 93 Lexus SC400 for 140,000 original miles. The engine runs like new and uses very little oil between changes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm currently using Nissan filters. Have also used Toyota, Mobil 1, and Pureone in my other cars. I think OEM and high quality aftermarket filters should all be fine. Just stay away from $2 to $3 low end stuff, some of them do not have anti-drain and/or bypass valves.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is Fram or Purolator OK? Or are those the low end stuff? Thanks for the advice on the oil btw.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I just picked up a Pureone!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Some quick facts. Oil gets thinner and flows easier when it's heated up and is thicker (flows less) when cold (starting). Viscosity is a measure of resistance to liquid flow at a specific temperature and pressure. Multi-grade oils optimize the characteristics of the engine oil by effectively increasing viscosity (resistance to flow and thinning) at higher temps and lower viscosity at lower temps.

I use Mobile Synthetic 0W-30 for SUVs which has a wider temp range vs. 5W-30 even though I live in Southern, CA. I chose this basically to help with slightly better gas mileage. The multi-grade 0W-30 for SUVs maintains the same protection as the OEM 5W-30 at higher temperatures but better at lower temps.

So, when you shake a bottle of 0W-30 vs say, 10W-40 (even 5W-30) you'll notice that when "cold" on the shelf, the oil feels lighter and flows easier. Try it! 0W-30 allows for easier starts and better initial protection until the engine is at running temperature which in turn saves on gas by allowing the engine to run more efficiently for it's first few minutes on start-up everytime/everyday. A good friend (auto enthusiast who rebuilds his own engines) back in high school explained this to me in this manner.

Btw, Porsche TTs, GT1s/2s/3s, RS', and Mercedes AMGs use Mobile One Synthetic 0W-40 OEM ( a wider temp.) because of the potential capability and extreme 0-200+MPH sustained conditions that these vehicles may often see on the autobahn and extreme climates as uber performance vehicles. Not to mention the much greater heat the engines generate themselves. Mobile One Syn is also listed as the highest "SJ" API service rated (range SA-SJ) meaning that they have the highest integrity of not changing in chemical structure (oxidizing, sludging over time or foaming), retaining deposits, etc.

General information on multi-grade oil viscosities (SAE viscosity grades):

http://www.mattsauto.com/oiltips.html

http://auto.indiamart.com/auto-consumab ... osity.html

Comprehensive API Service Ratings:

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com ... ations.htm

·
Registered
549 Posts
Is Fram not good? I use Double Guard Fram... for $7 something at walmart.
Fram is great! Every manufacturer has their cheap economy branded filters and then, their "high-end." Next to Bosch (OEM) and tough to find for certain Porsche applications in the States, many Porsche enthusiasts recommend FRAM including myself. I have never used any other brand on that vehicle. I recall that it was easily a $8/$10 filter.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yeah I use the Fram X2 Extended Guard filter at about $8-10 a pop :shock: . I read on this forum or at FA someone saying that most normal filters start to lose their effectiveness at 3000 to 4000 miles. So that kinda negates the benefit of changing synthetic oil less frequently. The X2 filters can supposedly last up to 7000 miles. Oh by the way I use Mobil 1 5w-30 every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not too sure about DuraBlend. The only synthetics I've heard good things about are Mobil 1, AMSOil, and Royal Purple.

I switched about 3 weeks ago to AMSOil in the engine, front & rear diffs, and transfer case. So far it looks like I gained about 1.5 to 2.0 MPG (13.2 avg vs. 15.0 avg).

·
Registered
56 Posts
What oils did you use? I want to change to synthetic fluids but besides oil, I do not know what grades should be used. I use Mobil 1 0W30 for the oil with Mobil 1 or K&N Oil filters.

·
Registered
220 Posts
gargan said:
What oils did you use? I want to change to synthetic fluids but besides oil, I do not know what grades should be used. I use Mobil 1 0W30 for the oil with Mobil 1 or K&N Oil filters.
Engine - AMSOil Series 2000 - SAE 0W-30
Diffs - AMSOil Series 2000 SAE 75W-90
Transfer Case - AMSOil Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I've been using AMSOIL products for 31-32 yrs. and swear by them.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
djlfx said:
Recommeded viscosity per Infiniti manual is 5w-30.

I live in Northern NJ with temperature ranging from 0F to 100F and run Mobil 1 5w-30 year round. Have been using the same oil with great results in my 93 Lexus SC400 for 140,000 original miles. The engine runs like new and uses very little oil between changes.
To those who use Synthethic Oil, have you noticed if it Sigifigantly IMPROVES Your MPG's also? :? I need all the help I can get. ~ 15mpg avg. >80% local/city driving, no matter what grade/oct. used.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use 0w30 Mobil 1. I dont think it will make a noticable difference. I read a post here where all the fluids were changed to synthetic and that yielded some improved MPG.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts