Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am a new member here. Just bought a used (only 800 miles) 2003 FX45. I have been having fun looking at all the mods you are all doing.

I want to do the Nav TV modification and need some advice on which one to use. I have seen the "nav tv", AV Electronic, "Nav with tv".

I talked to an official retailer of "Nav TV" and he actually has had 50/50 results with their product. He actually has done quite a few intstalls of the "Nav with TV" and likes it.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I only want to do this once. Oh, not planning on a tuner but will do the Nav-Nag change while I am there. Thanks guys! :D

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
I have done a few NavTV units from AV electronics and they all work well. That product is what pretty much all of us have in our FXen. I also did one of those newer Nav with TV type of units at my shop in an 05 Acura RL and it worked pretty well too. Haven't put one of those in a FX though.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
how much are each going for?
Should I do it myself or take it to a shop?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Nav with TV is about $200 for the parts. I was quoted $600 installed in So Cal. The AV Electronic system is about $500 but not sure on instalation cost as I have not checked on this. There are plenty of instructions here on the site for instalation. I am just not an electronics guy myself.

Anybody else with opinions on the different products out there?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I installed the NavWithTV product this past weekend. It looks like a solid product, seems well built, but I am having an issue that I haven't resolved yet. I get a slight flicker once every 4 or 5 seconds. The guy at NavWithTV suggested grounding the shield of the nav display input cable, but last night I noticed that the flicker happens on the rear screen as well. I'll probably wait till this weekend to ground the shield of that cable, but if that isn't it, then I might need a video signal amp but that is just a guess.

If I can resolve this issue, I would say this product is a good buy. Way cheaper than the NAV TV unit. One thing I didn't like about it, is that the unit didn't come with any real instructions. A mislabeled connector diagram was it.

I'll repost after I connect that ground.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
azwcat22 said:
I installed the NavWithTV product this past weekend. It looks like a solid product, seems well built, but I am having an issue that I haven't resolved yet. I get a slight flicker once every 4 or 5 seconds. The guy at NavWithTV suggested grounding the shield of the nav display input cable, but last night I noticed that the flicker happens on the rear screen as well. I'll probably wait till this weekend to ground the shield of that cable, but if that isn't it, then I might need a video signal amp but that is just a guess.

If I can resolve this issue, I would say this product is a good buy. Way cheaper than the NAV TV unit. One thing I didn't like about it, is that the unit didn't come with any real instructions. A mislabeled connector diagram was it.

I'll repost after I connect that ground.
sounds good. Keep us posted. How easy was the install and how long?
Also what was your total cost?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Update: Every day this week I've been using the NavWithTV and for some reason, that anomaly I reported earlier is no longer there. It works just fine! I am still going to open it up this weekend to connect the shield of the Nav display connector to ground because sometimes I can detect some faint lines on the picture. But even if I left it as is, it would be totally acceptable.

Regarding installation, I consider this a moderate level install. If you have no experience taking apart an interior and cutting and soldering wires in cramped and difficult to reach locations, then it will be a little tough. (this was my case) It took me a long time because I went super slow and didn't have the right materials or info (like connector pinout) on hand when I started.

Things you will need: Soldering iron, solder, shrink wrap tubing (optional), electrical tape, wire (20 guage is fine), wire stripper, RCA cable, zip ties (optional, but this is how i secured the box), a better looking switch (optional), exacto knife, philips screwdriver

·
Registered
2 Posts
what is the main difference in the product from avelectronic and the one from navtv.com. It appears to me that the unit from avelectronic is better.

Johnmax, what shop do you own/work at?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well this thread just DIED. I also want to install a NAV-TV adapter but there are so many different companies and I would like to do it as cheaply as possible. I don't want any bells and whistles, just output the DVD to the front screen and I can use the input back there for a Modded XBOX or Carputer. From what I've gathered...

Nav TV = $550 http://www.nav-tv.com RGB Converter
AVElectronic = $550 http://www.avelectronic.com Video Switcher
Nav with TV = $325 http://www.navwithtv.com RGB Converter
NaviPlus = $300??? http://www.naviplus.tv RGB Converter, looks like the same part as Nav with TV

WTF???? Would somebody clarify what is going on with these units? How do they differ? I've never seen such an successful campaign to keep a company's products from consumers!!!

Right now I'm leaning toward Nav with TV's product. Anybody else try this on out, good or bad experiences?

·
Registered
26 Posts
FX45inHB said:
The Nav with TV is about $200 for the parts. I was quoted $600 installed in So Cal. The AV Electronic system is about $500 but not sure on instalation cost as I have not checked on this. There are plenty of instructions here on the site for instalation. I am just not an electronics guy myself.

Anybody else with opinions on the different products out there?
Where might you have come across the Nav with TV for $200???

If you don't mind sharing?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm still selling Silverwolf but I'll be the first to admit it's WAY more expensive than the NavTV (starts at ~$885 US and goes up from there). Ease of install is I'd say roughly 5/10. Anyone scared of a soldering iron should leave the install to a professional. The biggest differrence is the NavTV and the like do one thing very well whereas a carputer does a zillion things reasonably well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.