Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a knock on the FX or Infiniti but most cars in general.

I have two classic, aircooled 911s. One is 26 years old, the other is 17. Both are in such great shape that people think they're almost new and cost an arm and a leg. In reality, I paid less for both than a brand new Honda Accord. Lest you think these cars have been pampered since rolling off the showroom floor, I'm the 6th owner of the older Porsche and the 4th owner of the newer one. Both cars were autocrossed by the previous owners and now, me. Both still have their original motors and the older one still has its original shocks, tie-rods and sway bars. The newer one is prepped for the track so it has updated, stiff suspension. But, again, both are in great shape.

My question is what shape will our FXs be in after 20 years? Are our cars disposable like other brands and models? Or, will Infiniti's quality stand the test of time?

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Mechanically, I'd guess it will do OK. However, the cost of repairing/replacing the electronics and sensors tends to make me think only the diehards and wealthy will choose to keep it that long. The real threat to its longevity is the styling, which tends to send more cars to the grave than any other factor. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
particlefx said:
Mechanically, I'd guess it will do OK. However, the cost of repairing/replacing the electronics and sensors tends to make me think only the diehards and wealthy will choose to keep it that long.
I would tend to agree. I kept a '79 Toyota Corolla for 18 years w/o any problems at all - still looked and ran great. I can not see my FX (or MDX either) lasting that long as far as the high tech electrical guru stuff goes. Why keep a car that has lost its Nav, Intelligent Key, Laser Cruise Control, etc due to refusal (am I going to pay to fix the Nav on a 10 year old car?) to pay the required upkeep? Perhaps this is a pessimistec attitude, but I do not see the tech items like Nav surviving 20+ years. And that doesn't even factor in emissions, electronic timing, etc.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The thing with newer cars these days is the emphasis on technology. Just with computers all the technology on our cars are going to be outdated.

With the older cars such as the 26 and 17 year old Porsche's mentioned above, the emphasis was more on the car itself and its performance. The lack of technology in terms of creature comforts makes it a driver's car.

I don't think our FXs will last that long. I don't really think they're 'driver's' cars, but rather tech/design toys.

That's not saying it won't last that long, I'm sure it will, but would you want to sit in a car with all that old technology (20yr old navi? keyless entry when in the future the car might just automatically start when you're near it, etc)

Hard to say any cars built today are going to last as long as cars did before.

·
Registered
882 Posts
in some landfill or third world country

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm hoping I'm still driving mine, but.... at my age (54), I suspect the car may be in better shape than I'll be in 20 years! :cry: Well, I have a company car for my daily commute, so I'll hardly put any wear and tear on mine (except for my annual ski drives from Long Island to Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, etc...), so I'm banking on my FX holding up well mechanically. That's one of the reasons I purchased it, rather than a lease. I want something that's gonna last me well into retirement (hopefully in about 4 - 5 years). I'm just about hitting 2000 miles on mine... still a baby! I brought my Lexus lease back with only 31,000 miles after a 39 month lease, and that was including two X-country trips - to Wyoming, and to NM / Colorado. Lets all check back in 20 years and see how we're all doing?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am already thinking what to get next...so my FX will definitely not be seen by me even 2 or 3 yrs later...

·
Registered
882 Posts
The new Supra or Corvette Z06 is SO So tempting :)

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
mushutofu said:
yep, as soon as price gouging and bugs go away I'm going after the C6. Probably next model year.

·
Registered
235 Posts
finsfx said:
mushutofu said:
yep, as soon as price gouging and bugs go away I'm going after the C6. Probably next model year.
I agree..c6 is awesome and i am in love with it after the GM test drive..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts