Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya,
I really really want to black chrome my front grill as well as some of the other chrome accents around the exterior. Does anyone know where I can get this done which is relatively close to MA? I'll have to send my grill in so I don't want a long turnaround time.

If you guys have any info it would be really appreciated. I think it would look HOTTTT on a B16 FX. :) Someone did a photoshop on FA but I can't find it.

Thanks all!

- Ak1nza

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Can you get it powdercoated in such a color? Ken from Paddock knows a guy around him that does powderocating for good prices (I was gonna get my crossbars powder coated to match the silver rails).

BTW, moving this to MODs ;)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about the door handles, however I'd be afraid that the black chrome would chip as the handles are used often. I'd just only do the accents around the car, grill, badges, and the rear "INFINITI" accent above the rear hatch button.

I found this place:

http://www.guildplaters.com

I emailed them but they never replied. They're located in Long Island, NY so they're relatively closeby. I'll probably try calling them again soon. Wanna know if they can do it and how much. I'll keep you all posted.

It's gonna suck driving without my grill though. :(

·
Registered
882 Posts
My dealer her in San Francisco (serremonte Infiniti) had black chrome rims...I think they send it off somewhere but I didn't ask about it because its probably going to be very expensive.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Its in Long Island city - Queens, right across the bridge from Manhattan. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
i thought about this a while ago...how sinister a black fx would look, especially coming up behind someone with a black chrome grill... and started a post on the "other" website. never got too far with it though.

anyway, our grills are plastic so i thought the best way to get the black chrome look would be to prep the surface and spray paint it with black chrome.

i think "black chrome" is available in spray cans at home depot.

let us know how you do.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Same here. Been thinking of doing the same since I first got the car. Ever since I saw this pic. Its been my wallpaper forever now:
:shock:

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
That looks HOT!! I'm very interested in this... but haven't had time to find a shop that does this.. :(

·
Registered
325 Posts
How about this blackout tape by Trimbrite?

Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
e39ng said:
How about this blackout tape by Trimbrite?

Has anyone tried this?
Yes, tried it on my 240Z window frame. It's more of a matte black so it wouldn't have the shininess of black chrome. also, after a year or so the color tends to fade and the edges frayed from the weather.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on this:

I actually looked up several places around MA and called up several places and none of them know of any that does plastic chroming. Most do metal plating.

Of the two that I found that does plastic chroming, one (Plast Tech in Long Island) WILL NOT do piecework because they do bulk orders only. I asked them if I could do a special order and he said it would cost way too much for me to even consider.

Mueller Corp in Bridgewater MA does do piecework but when I inquired about doing car parts I was immediately rejected. I dunno why. ??

Anyways still the only place is Brushplate in Torrance, CA.

So this idea is now out of my list of mods 'to do'. :(

Guess it won't happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts