Infiniti FX Forum banner

Wheel Width

5K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  fx45copper 
#1 ·
Iam interested in finding a rim that is about 10 wide. I saw an X5 4.8is and the rims were fat. I havent been able to find any wheels that wide for the 45. Can the FX45 handle that rim width on a 20-22" wheel? tire rack and discount tire direct have nothing that wide. Widest I found was 9". Will the performance be at risk with a 10" vs 9"? thanks-

#3 ·
There are some 20x10 and 22x10 rims to be found.. Lowenhart is one brand that does the wider sizes. Try looking on http://www.superbuytires.com.

As for performance, they will be obviously be heavier than an equivalent rim in a narrower width, but I have no idea if the difference is enough to slow you down much.

#7 ·
From the manual...

WHEELS AND TIRES
Road wheel, Type Size Offset in (mm), Aluminum
18 x 8JJ, 20 x 8JJ, 1.57 (40)

#10 ·
I like it except for the Zinik labeling around the edges. I think black rims on black cars look great.

#12 ·
ShadyJC said:
.. the spokes are too flat and wide.
My thought was a great way to block-out/cover-up our small disc brake.
Have you ever stepped back and look at the FX disc brakes from faraway, they are way too small sitting inside the 20s... them brakes looks just like the Corola's with 18"s.
Shady, how's the Eibach springs wking? do you have pix of your car taking from far away in diff angle like the blue one from Taiwan Meet? Specially 3/4 front and rear view. thanks

#17 ·
ShadyJC said:
2Fast4U - look at the last picture I posted of my new rims in this thread -- this is the angle you want? Just further away? And one from the rear as well?

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4110
Oh yeah, I just saw them a min ago, a far away view is more realistic and that's the view that ppl will see it on the fwy. Stock tires and wider rims with lower springs look just darn good....calling bank to check my balance right now. :p

#20 ·
Thanks Shady.
Double up that distance, level it and no tree shadow on the door. :p
I know it's just an illusion but the rear seems to ride on higher profile tires, love the gaps on the front.

#24 ·
fx45copper, I'm sorry for being so dense, I don't understand what you are looking for.

The tire width has not changed. The 265mm width of the stock Goodyear tires is 10.4" in width. Factory rims are 8" (203mm) and I have replaced it with 9" (229mm) wide rims, but since the tires are still wider than the rim what you see directly looking at the tire from the back is identical.

#25 ·
Clarification on tire/rim width changes... BFG and TireRack state that for every 0.5" change in wheel width, the section width changes 0.2" Using those numbers, the 1" wider wheels should make the section width almost half an inch wider. Which is not terribly noticeable on a 10" tire, but still... They should be just a bit wider.

Originally posted by TireRack.com

Section Width

A tire's section width (also called "cross section width") is the measurement of the tire's width from its inner sidewall to its outer sidewall (excluding any protective ribs, decorations or raised letters) at the widest point. This measurement is made without any load placed upon the tire and after the tire has been properly mounted on its industry assigned measuring rim and has been inflated and reset to its test pressure after 24 hours.

Because a tire's section width is influenced by the width of the rim upon which the tire is mounted, the correct industry assigned measuring rim width for the tire size being measured must be used.

The width of a tire mounted on a narrow rim would be "narrower" than if the same tire was mounted on a wide rim. NOTE: because the overall diameter of a steel belted radial is determined by the steel belts, there is little, if any, change to the overall diameter of the tire due to differences in rim width.

The industry rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 2/10".
Link to TireRack.com page with info

Matthew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.