Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just got a call from a friend that his Prelude got its tires/rims stolen. Obviously, I asked, "no wheel locks?" He said he has them, but he keeps the wheel lock key in his car incase he gets a flat, he needs it to change. But they broke windshield, dig thru his glove box and center console and found it. Ugh... Sucks.

Anyways, got me wondering. I do the exact same thing. I keep my wheel lock key in my car in the event of a flat. But if thieves know that, they will just search car to get it.

So...where do you guys keep your wheel lock key? In the car always? I don't know many who take it with them as they come and go. If you do keep it in car? Where? Velcro it somewhere hidden? Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Sensei said:
If you do keep it in car? Where? Velcro it somewhere hidden? Any recommendations?
How about behind that worthless cassette player cover? ::roll:

I thought all Honda's have a locking glovebox so why didn't he lock it in there? I never gave it much thought, but perhaps the FX could use a locking center console (or glovebox).

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
My key for the wheel lock in placed near the spare tire. I have it covered in bubble wrap so it will not make any sound in the back.

Jim

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Thing is, with the FX wheels being so ubiquitous (at least for our own model), is there much of a theft risk? Did your friend have custom rims?

·
Registered
172 Posts
You know i never really thought about it and just realized that i don't think mine came with locks. I'll have to go grab them from Grubbs :oops:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I had mine wrapped in a small cloth and I stuck it inside the first aid kit in the small side floor compartment underneath the cargo area protector. Kind of silly not to have it in the car incase of a flat; just hide it well. Other option would be to wire it to the underbody or behind the bumper somewhere.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Wow, didn't think of that. Good question Sensei,
* Not sure about OEM's alarms but I know the theft can just cut the after market ones in seconds. I just have to ask you, did your friend's Prelude has an alarm?
* Hondas and Toyotas's wheels are much easier resell to RICERS especially the upgraded after market ones. Our wheels are not very popular for that market and they are very heavy and unique. I'm wondering who would put our OEM rims in there car/truck/SUV, I just couldn't think of one.
...... hope y'all feel better. :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just tried to get one of my tires patched up at a local tire store and after an hour of waiting they tell me they cant get the **** wheels off.

I got my car used and didint even know that the FX had wheel locks and never bothered to ask they guy who sold about it. So my question is, what does the key look like and is there a place in the car where this key sits? I looked through the entire car and could not locate it? Any ideas what i should do? Could someone please post a pic of this **** wheel lock key?

Thank you

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Alex said:
I got my car used and didint even know that the FX had wheel locks
They don't come on the FX from Nissan; your dealer usually adds 'em.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Alex said:
what does the key look like and is there a place in the car where this key sits?
It looks like a ratchet socket with a funny flower pattern on it. Check in the little compartments under the trunk lid next to the spare tire with the jack equipment.

Otherwise your dealer CAN drill them off, I broke mine once on a previous car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
2Fast4U- What is a "ricer"?
:?:
Hondas and Toyotas's wheels are much easier resell to RICERS
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Alex, have you found it?
This is the package that you are looking for. I personally hide it underneath the cargo next to the spare tire. Some left it in the glove compartment then lock it up, etc...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hate that the wheel lugs are 19mm, yet the wheel lock key is 7/8" or 15/16", can't remember exact size but I had to go to the basement twice to get sockets for my ratchet.
What is interesting is the stock lug wrench fits both sizes! It fits the wheel lock key perfect, and has some play with the tire lugs.

I guess this is because they figure you will get a flat at the worst time, like in the rain, in the mud, at night, running an errand for your woman for something stupid. So you will get soo pissed off that you will be slamming the lug wrench down into the mud, where the socket will be filled with mud and gravel. But not to worry, as the wrench will still be able to fit on the lugs :)
So I guess its a design feature!!!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
GET WHEEL LOCKS! ~ Then find a safer place than the glove box for your wheel lock key! :roll: We have BIG, Pretty wheels that "others" notice!
Sensei said:
I just got a call from a friend that his Prelude got its tires/rims stolen. Obviously, I asked, "no wheel locks?" He said he has them, but he keeps the wheel lock key in his car in case he gets a flat, he needs it to change. But they broke windshield, dig thru his glove box and center console and found it. Ugh... Sucks.

Anyways, got me wondering. I do the exact same thing. I keep my wheel lock key in my car in the event of a flat. But if thieves know that, they will just search car to get it.
***** Another good thread on Wheel Locks is :arrow: http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... heel+locks The proper wheel lock for our stock FX wheels is nissan part #999H1-CD000 or McGard # 24012 as this style does not protrude any further than our lug nuts do (2 sets are better than 1) therefore it's harder for a potential thief to break/crack/remove them after he pops our center caps off. :idea: The next thing he may do is break a window (perhaps the drivers side rear door - factory Tint is easier to Push In than aftermaket film is) to look for your wheel lock key. :? That's when Your factory and/or very good aftermarket installed alarm system should begin to honk/beep/wail etc. and hopefully scare him away ...and then wake you up at 2 am. :shock: You will have a few days of Grief, aggravation, cost of glass, sick to your stomach feeling, etc. :( ... but at least you'll still have your Wheels & Tires . :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.