Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some research it looks like the stock pads are the best- any other opinions?

I only care about stopping power- I couldn't care less about brake dust or noise.

·
Registered
882 Posts
endless pads are suppose to kcik ass but are a bit pricey.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I went to aftermarket when I did the rotors and there was no cold bite(in the summer).That was unacceptable,and I went back to stock...which I really like!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I'm running EBC Greenstuff on my Vette. They are Kevlar based, no warm-up or fading problems. They are also low dusting and easy on the rotors. I've used them in Auto-X and Drag Racing numerous times...never a problem.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are all those other brands available for the '45?

·
Registered
549 Posts
AfterFX said:
I'm running EBC Greenstuff on my Vette. They are Kevlar based, no warm-up or fading problems. They are also low dusting and easy on the rotors. I've used them in Auto-X and Drag Racing numerous times...never a problem.
I've used EBC greens on my sportbikes and they were far superior to stock along with stainless-steel brake lines. Great progressive feel and initial bite. It's true that they are low dust-producing compunds. One just has to match pad wear vs. rotor wear when assessing different types of brake pads. Harder pads will produce less brake dust although the rotors will bear the burden of greater wear.

I never researched or knew that EBC made pads for vehicles as well. I'll need to take a look into that.

·
Registered
882 Posts
ebc pads for cars have been out for quite some time and i've heard good things about them on the TL forums. They are my next choice when I change my brakes.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Get the Hawk HPS pads. Forget about the EBC green stuff. Even the TireRack reps will tell you the same.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
mhgsx said:
Get the Hawk HPS pads. Forget about the EBC green stuff. Even the TireRack reps will tell you the same.
That's funny, they are the ones who told me to go with the EBC's in the first place. :)
I'm not sure about the Hawk's...never used them. However, I've run all kinds of brake pads/compounds and EBC Greenstuff has always been up to the challenge. They work for me!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Tirerack is also notorious for conservative fitments, remarks and variable opinions depending on which rep you speak with and which auto manufacturer forum they frequent/moderate. In my experience, regardless of any "Master Tech" certification, I've found better, sound advice and supportive facts from true "Tuners" or Hi-perf wheel tire shops that really do the suspension/brake mods. Tirerack touches the surface on opinions though rarely delve deeper than what's readily apparent.

Case in point, ask them about wheels spacers and I bet you the first response is: "We don't sell wheel spacers unless it's with a tire/wheel package. Why are you even using spacers? We don't recommend them." I got that from several different reps on that question alone and it never went any further than that as far as supportive arguments or technical knowledge. :D

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I'd love to get some EBC Greens, but I can't find an application for the '45. Anyone have hints as to where to look?

·
Registered
882 Posts
In regards to spacers my infiniti tech told me not to go beyond 5mm with spacers.

·
Registered
549 Posts
mushutofu said:
In regards to spacers my infiniti tech told me not to go beyond 5mm with spacers.
Did the Infiniti Tech support a reason for only the highly-conservative 5mm? Always have to ask why to justify any recommendation as I've found that every "certified-tech" has an opinion based on their own background, experience, exposure and insight.

I've done extensive research on spacers and it's use on other sportscars/vehicles and there really isn't a clear-cut "limit" if the spacers are hubcentric, built for the application (strong/light with no clearance issues) and have some sort of approved quality/testing standard (eg. TuV). Beyond 20mm (25mm available for the FX45), H&R provides a different "DRM" design where the spacer/stud assembly mounts onto the existing hub. Some "Tuners" say the DRM-type is stronger and more reliable than the DRS-type kit (5/10/15/20mm for the FX).

I believe other "Tuners" that the DRS type is more reliable as the kit actually replaces the OEM mounting studs to longer ones while being fully-supported by the actual spacer itself. The DRS spacer is just as strong or stronger compared to OEM as say, the DRS 5/10/15/20mm spacer which effectively extends the supporting hub . Mechanically, any stud extension without the support of the spacer places more torque on the smaller, outer wheel bearings causing them to wear faster or fail under high stress, continously long durations. The studs also experience more shearing stresses from the suspension, but the addition of a spacer fully supports the added length of the individual studs theoretically nullifying these stresses. Overall, 20mm spacers used in my application is considered very conservative and minute in suspension modifications when you speak to any race/tuner shop for street-driving, let alone any endurance track applications.

High-powered sportscars that are strictly tracked/raced even go as far as 40mm+ spacers with no reliability or performance issues as long as it's the proper application. I'm certain I can find ALMS GT cars using them. The alternative of wider wheels and tires actually become a disadvantages on the track/autocross in terms of unwanted understeer (wider rears relative to fronts), greater unsprung weight, slower steering feel and precision. Hence, spacers are a great solution for additional stability (wider track) and flatter cornering when traction under power is not the primary issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts