Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is taking driver's ed now and will be getting his permit next year. I'm not looking forward to letting him get behind the wheel but I know the time will be here soon enough. For sure he won't be driving the FX or either 911s. What's a reliable, safe car for a 16 y/o boy? He gets good grades, minds his parents, plays sports and the piano so he has a good head on his shoulders. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Check out this link: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety ... ticle.html

I have two boys at Texas Tech University who share a RAV4. I think its a wonderful vehicle, since cargo space is important (i.e. move-in and move-out). I also have a 16 year old who is currently driving my old '02 TL-S; we have an '05 Corolla on order for him.

Note: We special ordered the Corolla because Anti-Lock Brakes and Side-Curtain Airbags were an option and not standard :roll:
I do not understand why anti-lock brakes are not standard on every vehicle made now-a-days :?:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd say a used Honda Accord Coupe. It's fairly sporty for what it is and has good crash test ratings. It's also one of the best vehicles on the market in terms of reliability, should easily last 150-200k miles.

If you are looking for a new vehicle (which I think is a bad move for any teenager, but it's not my decision), I'd say get a Scion tC. Nice looking and very well equipped for it's price (Approx. $18k for the non-Supercharged model). It also has a suprising amount of cargo capacity since it's a liftback/hatchback.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
jwaters943 said:
I'd say a used Honda Accord Coupe. It's fairly sporty for what it is ...
I recommend checking with your insurance company regarding any potential car. My isurance agent said a 2-door coupe would have higher rates than a comparable sedan.

·
Registered
45 Posts
oh come on now guys.... remember back to when you were 16.. i think the rav 4 and honda are a lil on the weak side...ask your son himself and get a idea from him... if he is what you say he is ... i think you did an awsome job raising the boy. at least get him something that he will enjoy getting into every morning.come to an agreement together, you and him will be happier in the end. and good for you for being a good ol man and getting your boy a car.its some thing every kid boy or girl looks forward to . i tip my hat to you.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
when I was 16, my choices given....were

wrangler (was going to raise up with bigger tires)
rav4
used maxima
used mazda 929. ended up getting this...

but my brother got 00 i30.... he ended up getting many tickets...

get him a big car :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Subarus aren't too fast, nor too slow; good safety record; reliable; reasonably priced; have bulldog road grip and low running cost.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car that came to mind right away is a '90s Volvo 240 w/driver's airbag. My son seems OK with that if it's a sedan but he wouldn't mind a wagon either if it housed big, honkin' subwoofers. I nixed the wagon idea because I can't stand it when some kid pulls up three cars from me and I can feel the bass. His first choice is a Toyota 2wd pick-up w/extra cab. I can pick up a used one w/airbags at a reasonable price. My concern is the thin sheetmetal surrounding the newer pick-ups. I had an '82 Toyota that was built like a tank but no airbags.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
maxum_101 said:
oh come on now guys.... remember back to when you were 16.. i think the rav 4 and honda are a lil on the weak side...ask your son himself and get a idea from him... if he is what you say he is ... i think you did an awsome job raising the boy. at least get him something that he will enjoy getting into every morning.come to an agreement together, you and him will be happier in the end. and good for you for being a good ol man and getting your boy a car.its some thing every kid boy or girl looks forward to . i tip my hat to you.
As stated earlier the college kids have a RAV4; which serves the very practicle role that is needed. The only reason the 16 year old has a car is because he has a job and plays on the high school baseball team. Reliability, safety, and economy trump "curb" appeal - sorry but I must disagree with this suggestion.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just give him an FX

I know u said he wont be driving the FX, but I still think thats a perfect vehicle for him, im 16 and drive an FX 45, and its just awesome, room for friends, room for sports equipment, reliable. I will be returning my FX in like 4 months neways because its on a lease, but it was a great 2nd car, my first was a 2002 Audi S3. In response to other posts, I dont think its a bad idea given a teen a new car. My FX was given to me new, and I sure take alot of care of it, same with the Audi. Also, a Mazda 6 is a great car, the new hatch back is hot!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I got my first car (10 years ago this coming February), my choice was anything less than $7500 and I felt **** lucky! It wasn't that my family couldn't afford a more expensive car, it was the principle. If you teach your kids to expect lavish or expensive gifts in return for things they should be doing anyway (getting good grades, being respectful of others, etc.) they will have a sense of entitlement that will last long past their teenage years. We all know that in the real world there are no free handouts and no one owes you anything and that just because you feel you are deserving of something doesn't mean you'll get it.

The other thing to consider is driving experience. No matter how conscientious some teenage drivers may be, they still lack driving experience and thus will likely see more than their fair share of minor dings, scratches and fender-benders. Another reason I think used cars are a good idea as a first car.

Not trying to preach, just my $0.02 :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
A new FX45 for a 16yr old kid as a first vehicle is absolutely insane! Ridiculous! ....

Bring it on if you want!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
<codger>Back in my day, we bought our own **** car in college. Mine was a '72 Olds Cutlass, cost all of $300. Safety wasn't an issue- that thing was a tank and anything I hit would have been immediately anhiliated.</codger>

·
Registered
848 Posts
I look back on my parents decision to give me my Grandfather's '69 VW campmobile as a wise move. 0-60 time of 1:37...honest...top speed of 67mph. Any parent who's letting their 16yr old drive the FX or any sports car should be committed to the loony bin. Sorry jorgemiranda, but you need to get some more experience behind the wheel. :?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yea...

Don't worry, after my lease is over, im buying a 996 Carrera. Just love that car, drove one 2 years ago, and I was impressed

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
tell him that 500 bucks of his own hard earned cash should buy a decent car for him :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Don't worry, after my lease is over, im buying a 996 Carrera. Just love that car, drove one 2 years ago, and I was impressed

So you were 14 when you drove the Carrera?

What business are you in that you can buy your own cars at 16! You probably should have said Daddy's buying it. Anyways, your name dropping of cars your going to buy doesn't impress me. You need to eat a little humble pie!

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Well my first car when I was 16 was a 89 Cadi Eldorado, the only good thing about it was that it was new, but dont do that to your son, I hated driving that car to school and driving it period. I recommend something like an Accord safe reliable and cheap to maintain.

Jim

1 - 20 of 100 Posts