Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you want to join the FX community but need to know what to check for when buying? Here are some things to check for and common (and not so common) issues with the FX. This list is specific to the FX, not a basic how to buy a car summary (body damage, carfax, etc).

1. Infiniti owner's manual
2. DVD Navigation manual (if equipped)
3. Navigation DVD latest version (if equipped)
4. First aid kit
5. Factory headphones (if equipped with factory DVD player)
6. Factory DVD player remote (if equipped with factory DVD player)
7. BOSE subwoofer (inside spare tire well)
8. Front and rear carpeted floor mats
9. Rear cargo floor tray
10. 2 keyless entry remotes, 2 standard keys, 1 valet key (non tech pkg), 1 wallet key
11. 2 Intelligent key remotes with working blade keys inside, 1 valet key, 1 wallet key (tech pkg)
12. Spare tire
13. Wheel locks and correct lock key
14. Cargo net
15. AWD vehicles will have an AWD light that will illuminate upon startup briefly

Vehicles for sale at an Infiniti dealer should have any outstanding recalls resolved.

Common issues include:
- Fuel gauge not reading correctly (7/8 full when completely filled up, or empty when actually 1/4 tank)
- Black trim around the top of the door windows fading/hazing
- Front wheel bearings going bad
- Squealing brakes when backing up
- Shudder upon acceleration from a stop (FX45 only) due to filling engine oil to 7 qts instead of 6.5

These and more issues are addressed by Technical Service Bulletins.
TSBs and recalls can be found here: http://www.infiniti-techinfo.com/TSB/TSB_xml/nmsection.aspx?mseries=+FX+(S50)+03-08
TSBs can also be found here: http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/local_l ... ?catid=120

Other less common issues that some have:
- Pop/click from front fender area
- CDs skipping when cold outside
- Fading audio from left side speakers

Don't forget to share your new purchase with the community, and take the time and update your signature so others can see what you have and help you better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the great information. I see several issues in you list that apply to my 2006 FX. Particularly bothersome is the fading/hazing of the black trim around the windows, but I cannot find a specific TSB about that. Can you elaborate?

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
itsmike said:
Very good information. Maybe this should be a sticky up top.
It already is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I need a 03 FX 45 manual... Can someone direct me where to download one from? Can u upload one here ? Or send me one vie e-mail. Will be greatly apreciated.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yavor_d said:
I need a 03 FX 45 manual... Can someone direct me where to download one from? Can u upload one here ? Or send me one vie e-mail. Will be greatly apreciated.

Thank you!
Search is your friend here.... :wink:

www.infiniti-techinfo.com

·
Registered
65 Posts
Very good info to have.
I hear that "pop/click from front fender area" quite often. Didn't know it was a TSB. The dealer will be getting a call ASAP!

*edit - Hmmm, maybe this isn't a TSB. I didn't see it listed at the provided links.

What is the cause and resolution to this issue?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
C-Lawd said:
*edit - Hmmm, maybe this isn't a TSB. I didn't see it listed at the provided links.

What is the cause and resolution to this issue?
When you check up on the TSBs don't check for your year of car... just go to the 2003... they have the full list of TSBs (usually) and it pretty much applies for all years of 1st Gen FXs... apparently there's a bolt that needs to be tightened or something... removal of the front bumper is suggested (but apparently not required for those that have done this themselves) to reach the bolts that need retightening...

I think I've found the TSB on www.infinitihelp.com before...

·
Registered
203 Posts
is there some sort of FAQ for potential problems relative to mileage? i.e. premature wear on certain components/items. I am looking at this 06 FX35 that has 46k miles and was wondering what I can expect. What is factory warranty up to?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Great info here thanks for posting it up.

I presently own a 2007 G35X, before that I had a 2005 G35X which I purchased at Guelph Infiniti in Ontario. Great Dealership.

Now I am thinking of purchasing a used 07 or 08 FX35 to replace my sedan. We are starting to look very seriously now.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
GEE35X said:
I presently own a 2007 G35X, before that I had a 2005 G35X which I purchased at Guelph Infiniti in Ontario. Great Dealership.
I go there for servicing so I assume you're in the same area (that I USED to live in... while not in school... :p )... so where are you from?

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^I live in Kincardine.
I was down at Guelph today checking out what they had and got my X serviced. I heard you mention Scott, he does seem like a nice guy and he was saying he was impressed with the few mods I have done on my X.
I do love the X , it's power and handling. The only problem is on long trips my one hip gets sore. I think with the higher seating position in the FX, that it might help alleviate that problem. I know when I am driving my full size Z71 it isn't as bad, but it's no fun.

So where do you live now?

·
Registered
100 Posts
GEE35X said:

Now I am thinking of purchasing a used 07 or 08 FX35 to replace my sedan. We are starting to look very seriously now.

But Wayne, I like your sedan, lol. Good to see you on the "org", and, good to see that you are looking for an FX. You guys decided not to go for an '09? :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
N50 said:
GEE35X said:

But Wayne, I like your sedan, lol. Good to see you on the "org", and, good to see that you are looking for an FX. You guys decided not to go for an '09? :)
Hey Alex, I forgot you hang out here also. Good to hear from you.

I like a most of the features on the 09 but I still can't get used to the front end and also quite a bit more money as compared to getting a used 08 FX.
Right now I have a line on an 2008 Ivory Pearl FX35. We are going to check it out in a few days.

We do love our sedan and I still have a couple mods waiting for warm weather to install them. I might be selling those mods off, who knows. I'm still undecided about the switch, but as you know I have always had a love for the FX.
Wayne

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
geenee said:
I just bought an 09. I received only 2 remote key fobs, no valet or wallet. should I have?
Read your owners manual. It should tell you in there what it should come with. But I would think only 2 I-keys. There is nowhere to use a wallet or valet key in a 09.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
check the driver's seat to see if there is any play in rocking of the seat.

we've seen some seat rails get very loose and they are covered under the factory warranty. i had one client (estimated 250lbs) go through 3 seat rails b/c it would wobble back and forth.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
For purchases/leases of new FXs (or other Infinitis) between 8/28/09 and 11/30/09, check with *ME* about the Infiniti AmEx Reward card. $150 to me, up to $500 to you (purchaser) on an AmEx card. Other owers probably got the card too...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts