Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been a long time lurker, but now will become a first time poster (actually second post……….). I hope this topic has not been covered. I have read past cars that you guys/gals have owned. It’s obvious that there are a wide range of vehicles that many of us own or have owned. I have a few friends that are looking at cars, and they always asked me what other cars/suvs I looked at before buying my FX45. Forty to Fifty thousand dollars is quite a large sum of money and I’m sure many of you poured over your decision. So what other car lots did you guys hit before heading on over to Infiniti?

I live in Chicago, and wanting to be practical want only one car for my needs. I am single with no children. I occasionally run to home depot, to make occasional attempts at doing some work around the house. The main thing I was looking for in a car was performance. Second, the vehicle had to be able to travel in the snow (I have 18 inch snows for my FX). Finally, I wanted something fresh and unique. Now here is what I looked at before buying my FX:

Cayenne S
This one was really close. I pretty much almost bought it, until I found out I had to fork over $900 for a CD player, the **** thing already had an MSRP of 66k. I love the way it drove and looked but it was just too **** expensive for what you get. On a whim my friend told me to try the FX………nuff said

E46 M3
This may sound crazy to cross shop an FX with an m3, but I have a 97 4runner and originally planned on having two cars. I had an e36 M3 and loved it! Having test driven the e46 I came to the conclusion that if I bought one, I would have to drive strait to the police station so they could take my license. When all was said and done it was too impractical for my needs.

03 MB e500 with 9k
Nice used car, but risked falling a sleep while driving. I’m only 28 and felt maybe I would like one later on in life.

X5
Did not want to be part of the herd (no offense to anyone who has one)

Escalade
Not a rapper, j/k. Too **** big……If I had a family then maybe.

VW Tourag
Not sure if I spelled that right, but oh well. This is a **** nice SUV. I really liked it a lot. Just seemed like gourmet vanilla ice cream to me. Excellent, but a bit bland.

BMW 5 Series
Ewwwww
Ferrari 360 Modena
The bank I was going to rob was closed

I did have some buyers remorse at the beginning, but having owned for 6 months I love my FX! I actually still have my 97 4runner, that thing will need to be hit by a missile before it stops running. So I guess I could have gotten the M3, but glad I did not. I love my FX the performance is great, and I love my tech gadgets. Sorry for being long winded, I am traveling for work now and am pretty bored. :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
BMW M3 - Was my top choice, wanted that soo bad.. yet being a drummer and driving an M3 didnt quite match up :(

BMW X5 - Looked over at the other end of the parking lot, to be dissapointed. I don't really like how it looks. Not enough performance.

Cadillac Escalade Ext - Same style as chevy avalanche. Like the way this looks, lotsa room for drums, then I realized - wayyyy too much money for what it really is. It really is a glorified avalanche.

Chevorlet Avalanche - So of course, i drive right to the chevy dealership.. even with every upgrade/option it didnt have enough "luxury" or "style"..etc..

Then deciding i liked the X5 the best out of my choices.. i was dissapointed. The next day i saw a black FX make a u-turn in front of me and I went to the dealer that afternoon... and bought it - :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
I waited for a year for the BMW X3 to come out so I could test drive one. I seriously thought it would be my next car, as I'd been so happy with my 318ti.

But one 15-minute test drive convinced me that it wasn't what I'd hoped for. I wanted a true crossover, not just a scaled-down SUV.

I drove straight from the BMW dealership to the Infiniti dealer and drove an FX. It was exactly what I was looking for. A month later (after I'd sold my Bimmer), I had one in my driveway. :)

I didn't consider any other make/models, although I did read as many reviews on the Web for the FX that I could find. Many of them did comparisons with other cars, and they just confirmed that I made the right choice.

D

·
Registered
662 Posts
I also live in Chicago area and Nissan Armada LE and Land Rover Discovery HSE were considered before buying current FX35. I just wasn't sure about the quality of those vehicles and loved the sporty character of the FX.

As a matter of fact, I like LR's new LR3 and it may very well be my next vehicle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The first commercial I saw of the FX was when the people were putting something they bought in the back, a red chair I think, and they floored it and took off. The exhaust sound was what got me and it was the first I really even though about a crossover SUV. I was never even interested in SUV's before that and then saw that they can be as sporty as an FX.
To be fair I looked at a bimmer 4.4i and Cayenne S, but too expensive for what you get.
I did wait to order my 04. Mine was on one of the first shipments of 04's.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I test drove an X3 as well. What a dissapointment. The manual was nice but talk about lack in HP

·
Registered
235 Posts
X3: waited for that and i can't stand those blk bumpers..

X5: too many issues and body style been around for awhile

Cayenne S: A very close call...almost bought one but had to wait to get the exact options and the price was almost 70k on sticker

used 996: i still want one..but already got a 2dr 3 series makes this not too practical..

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Hello

ML350, X5, but those styles have been out for a while.

jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
I looked at the MDX, RX330, X5, and Range Rover.

I loved the range rover, but they are one of the WORST vehicle for problems. Everything breaks on them, and they just got ranked the lowest on JD power for quality.

The FX was a clear choice to me. Fast, fun to drive, sporty, and gets your blood pumping more than any other!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looked for a 2002 e368s but couldnt find one, wife didnt like the "stick" and lack of room, and really wanted a SUV. So I settleld on the M3C big brother :lol: I still drive my lifted Jeep GC (WJ).

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
hey Qship , what color is yours and did you ever get those pics. of your superiordash yet from last month? maybe that black chrome emblem too.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
M3 was on top of my list... Too bad we were shopping for my wife's car - she hated (still does) my 5 speed, RWD, no trunk space 328 coupe. So we set out to buy a 4 door, AWD car with utility that I can live with (although I do 100% of the driving when together :roll: ).

A4 3.0 - Too small for what SHE wanted. Friends who own it swear they'll never buy an Audi again.

A6 - Due for redesign, didnt want a dated car.

330Xi - Too small for what SHE wanted.

X5 - Dated. Way overpriced for what you get. Way too many on the road, especially in my neighborhood (as well as the MB MLs).

Toureg - $50k for a VW? :lol:

MDX - Too minivan-ish. Bland style.

Murano - Cool at first but I hated the grill, the dash & rear end / c-pillar. Swapped my 328 w/ a friend's Mo for a few days, never felt right to me.

RX330 - Underpowered, too soft; Absolutely hate the tailights.

·
Registered
597 Posts
'04 Acura TL = everything that could creak, squeak, pop and rattle inside did so. Greasy salesman told me he didn't know what I was talking about. Production of copies with NAV-the only kind I'd buy-were halted due to some glitch with projected availability being somewhere between 75 days and when Jesus comes back.

BMW 330 = drove like G35-which I was dumping-plus it had stiff leather, tight interior and welcome-to-wal-mart sound system.

BMW 530 = a superb all-around auto with the GM nearly putting me in a headlock to get it off his hands with $8K off the sticker. But I didn't feel like going back to winter traction issues.

Nissan Morono = liked the build, room. Wasn't wild about having to cope with CVT tranny and Nissan's piss-poor service.

Mercedes C-Class = unmatched assembly quality, free maintenance, ageless look. Crappy reliablity, $2K extended M-B backed service contract, $2K 2 year old model Motorola cell with M-B logo. Klaus, you call that an armrest ? !

Saab 9-5 Aero = Don't ask :oops:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
wanted the exotic sportiness/color of the murano combined with the luxury of 330rx - 'nuff said ... FX - all we're missing is gas mileage , oh well / '06 hybrid? ...maybe.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mercedes E500 - Probably my top contender, but most expensive by far.

Volvo S60R - Nice sleeper! They were just being introduced, and not in stock yet, but all the reviews were good.

Acura TL - This was 03, and my wife hated the styling

BMW 330 - Too small for us

BMW 5 - I've got a kid, and this is supposed to be a luxury car...no cup holder in the back???

Audi A6 - Again the wife hated the styling

G35 Sedan - Nice when fully loaded, but still lacking some luxury

G35 Coupe - Another top contender

M45 - Nice for the price if you can stand the styling. Brought my wife to the showroom to see it, and she convinced me to test the FX...the rest is history. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
2004 BMW X3 3.0 - Great size, handling, and acceleration, 4 year free maintainence, the 'Badge." Moronic salesman, standard options available in FX Touring add another $7K and into X5 territory. Are u kidding me?

2004 BMW X5 3.0 - Great styling and handling. Nice interior. The "Badge." Moronic salesman, standard options available in FX Touring add another $3K. Are u kidding me? - see a trend here?? :roll:

2004 Mercedes Benz ML350 - My parents just bought one. 'Nuff said. :lol:

2004 Lexus RX330 - Very comfy and high-quality interior (love that leather). Rides way too soft for me and has lotsa body roll. Idiot salesman had the nerve to sit me at his desk, crunch numbers, and then asked me whether I can afford it before even showing me the car! Wouldn't even give me a lease quote because he "didn't want to bother the manager if I wasn't serious..." :x

Went to the Infiiniti dealership after that crazy Lexus visit to look at the G35 coupe (decided that there were no viable SUV alternatives). The rest is history... :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. X5 4.4
2. VW TReg
3. GMC Denali ( I got GMC sierra with Denali wheels :) already)
4. Escalade ( Next door was a Infinity dealer)

Soon will be looking for used 911T

1 - 18 of 18 Posts