Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
BIGTURK said:
Mobil 1, 5/30 winter - 10/30 summer. Never tried anything else.
Me too on the oil.

I have been using the Purolator PureOne filter. It got very good reviews.

Unless the FX50 uses the same filter, I will have several filters left over by the time my present FX45 lease ends.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Booboobaba said:
Unless the FX50 uses the same filter, I will have several filters left over by the time
my present FX45 lease ends.
I wouldn't be surprised! They're really consolidating their filters. I could technically use the same filter on all four of my cars:

SR20DE
VQ35DE
VQ37HR
VK45DE

Two are *SUPPOSED* to get the longer/higher capacity filter but do just fine with the short one. Judging by this, you could technically use the same filter on the FX35/45

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am about to carry out the first service on my fx35, and i want to use synthetic oil, but where i live i can only find mobil 1 SAE 40 and not the Mobil 1 5w 30. What are your recommendations. Can i go ahead to use the mobil 1 sae 40 or i rather just stick to the normal 5w 30 instead of using synthetic oil?

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Where are you from that you can't find typical oil grades? That's hard to believe. To answer the question, you could probably get away with it. Are you talking 10w40? I personally *WOULDN'T* but you probably *COULD* get away with it. You can't travel a little further to find 5w30? There are no Wal Marts around? I just find this so hard to believe?

·
Registered
430 Posts
1) Royal Purple
2) Mobil 1
3) Castrol Syntec

I have not tried the AMSOil but here good things about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I stay outside the united states and bought and shipped my fx from Houston, here the variety of mobil 1 grades in the market(as i unfortunately just discovered) is not as wide as that in the united states. The Mobil SAE 40 i am referring to is the 0W40

Any advices?

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Might be a little on the costly side but maybe looking into buying oil online and having it shipped? Or maybe take a trip to get oil but buy it in BULK (like enough for a year or two to make it worth your while)? Otherwise I guess I'd stick with the dino

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
In all real-world cases, 0W40 shouldn't make a HUGE difference... and it might be that he can't get 5W30 in his area cause the climate is very different... such as Russia or Thailand where they might sell more of a thicker / thinner oil due to the weather... and I'm pretty sure you can't ship oil due to the dangers associated with them...

There was a link posted somewhere about 2 weeks ago talking about the differences in oil... dunno where it is now but it pretty much explained the differences in #'s and why you didn't really have to worry about them too much...

You can try to find the thread... but I'm pretty sure you'd be fine just buying the 0W40...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks guys,

Datman I found the link viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21315&hilit=oil+numbers twas pretty explanatory on grades of oil.

Anyway after reading your coments and the articles, i carried out the oil change myself using the Mobil 1 0w40 and the fx45 oil filter, took the car on a an agressive spin to see if there is any difference in performance, did not notice any, but i guess its to early to tell........ My fingers are crossed.....

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
You might want to find someplace to conduct an oil analysis at your next oil change. I know blackstone labs does it in the US here. Maybe there's someone local? I don't think the laws on shipping liquids (which I think there are companies that someone get away with it but am not entirely sure) would apply for something as small as a sample that blackstone labs would be looking for. But if there is any additional wear or harm done, a lab analysis would pick that up. As for climate, I don't think the fact that you can ONLY find such a heavy weight oil has anything to do with climate now that we know where you're from. Odd

·
Registered
37 Posts
kieranlavin said:
As for climate, I don't think the fact that you can ONLY find such a heavy weight oil has anything to do with climate now that we know where you're from. Odd
In this context what is odd about where I am from?

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
I didn't meant that where you are from is odd. I meant that, like Dat explained, a heavier oil might be expected in a cold climate. I wouldn't expect it in Nigeria. You'd expect a lighter-weight oil for warmer temperatures. As for where you are from, I think it's interesting to see where around the world others are enjoying their FX's. I love it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I kinda got the impression that its actually the other way round from laxman's analysis on viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21315&hilit=oil+numbers areas with warmer climates need thicker viscosity oils

As you rightly pointed out, Nigeria has a warmer climate, hence from the analysis, it should use a thicker weight oil. Correct me if im wrong.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Skelee said:
As you rightly pointed out, Nigeria has a warmer climate, hence from the analysis, it should use a thicker weight oil. Correct me if im wrong.
Yeah... you're right Skelee... I think Kieran's been having a couple too many drinks enjoying the warm weather we've FINALLY been getting...

Cold weather = thinner oil to pass through the engine easier.
Hot weather = thicker oil to give more protection as the engine would run hotter.

BTW, can you buy regular oil in 5W30 in Nigeria or is it all 0W40... I would find it a bit strange if they sold normal oil in different weights than the synthetics... but I've heard that synthetics run a little "lighter" (for lack of a better word) than the corresponding regular oil...

Anyways, it probably won't be a bit till you start feeling the engine run smoother... from what I've gathered the synthetic oil needs to run through the engine for a while before it gives better protection...

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
kieranlavin said:
Yes, I was backwards. I'm having trouble THINKING this weekend! Seriously, I'm losing my mind :(
Don't worry Kieran... I've had days like that too... actually, I've had YEARS like that... :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
LaXmAn said:
Wireboltman said:
I've been using Amsoil for the last 35 yrs.
I swear by it.

http://www.amsoil.com/
I've been using it and it is a great oil. (5w-30ASL and the 0w-30SSO)
I've heard a lot of good things about Castrol Syntec 0w-30 made in Germany it is a true synthetic and group IV. They rave about it in the bobistheoilguy
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... Post718643 and in my350z.com. Is anyone using it? I might give it a try I'm due for and oil change next month.

That's what I use in my WS6 Trans Am...422 rwhp later the engine is holding up just fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have gone through the oil analysis thread on my350z forum and decided on penzoil platinum synth. I always run amsoil 10w30 in my WRX and have never burned oil (which is rare for a modded turbocharged engine), but figured I would try and find something a little cheaper for the fx. That oil analysis thread on the z forum is great if you want to see actual oil analysis results etc.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gonna dump some Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 and mate it to an OEM FX45 filter here in a little bit. First oil change!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts