Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently use Mobil 1 5w30 on my fx35 with the dealer filter. I've searched posts on here and seems that mobil 1 tends to be alot of people's choice aside from Royal Purple, Amsoil, Penzoil, etc.

What i'm wondering is can i use the engine oil from BMW or Audi, the ones that go 70K? I'm wondering if there's more to it than just the oil? Anyone ever look into that?

Thanks!

Phantom

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like alot of people use either the mobil 1 filter or the k&n filter. How much more superior is it over the dealership filter?

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Mobil 1, 5/30 winter - 10/30 summer. Never tried anything else.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

What do you guys think of Mobil 1 Extended performance rated at 20,000km oil change?

Also, why is it that some use the FX45 oil filter over the FX35?

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
PHANTOM said:
Is there a difference?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I heard the FX35 filter is longer so it gives more filter media inside and better flow. Going to call Infiniti and find out if its the same part number or not.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
GixxerSteve said:
PHANTOM said:
Is there a difference?
Yes... spec sizes, the FX45 filter is a bit longer than the 35's filter...

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I just saw a commercial for Pennzoil Platinum motor oil in which they state that their synthetic oil gives 5 or 6 times the protection of Mobil 1. Has anyone tried it yet? I haven't, although I've always had good luck with their oil in the past.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Pennzoil's own website only states:

Pennzoil Platinum®
Full Synthetic w/Superior* Active Cleansing Agents
Cleans out up to 46% of engine sludge in the first oil change.**
Cleans 3X better than the leading conventional oil.**

These are their disclaimers: (note no mention of Mobil 1 on their site)
* Superior versus our conventional and synthetic blend motor oils.
** Based on a severe sludge clean-up test using SAE 5W-30

Personally, you probably will not go wrong with either if you follow your car's maint schedule to the "T". I don't see a requirement for Synthetic anyway in the owner's manual. If it mattered significantly to the life of the engine, you can be sure the manufacturer would require it. Just like they make absolutely clear the need for premium fuel on the FX50 But the site below has a good discussion on the topic: However, I will be using Mobil 1 :wink:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good info! One thing I did notice was that on all the cars I had, using conventional oil, the engine wore out slightly earlier in terms of tolerances, valve clearances, compression compared to synthetic. I've had a Nissan Maxima 3.0L SE from 95 that I ran with Mobil 1 up to 280,000 KM and the engine ran and sounded and felt as if it had no mileage on it. Nothing had to be tuned or replaced or put back to spec.

I did try Mobil 1 Extended Performance and all I can say is that it unleashed alot more power out of the engine. Reason being it has more additives in it that give the engine a better slip. When i first started the engine, it would rev at over 3,000 rpm because of the slip. Even after the engine warmed up, the ECU had to re-learn the engine and how to control it. The first few drives were like learning how to drive 5 speed again because the throttle was more sensitive due to the oil giving more slip. As for longetivity, because this was in a turbo setup, the oil did last me 15,000 of the 20,000 they guarantee. Worth the extra 5-8 bucks? I think so, more efficiency gives better mileage and less oil changes.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
PHANTOM said:
I did try Mobil 1 Extended Performance and all I can say is that it unleashed alot more power out of the engine. Reason being it has more additives in it that give the engine a better slip. When i first started the engine, it would rev at over 3,000 rpm because of the slip. Even after the engine warmed up, the ECU had to re-learn the engine and how to control it. The first few drives were like learning how to drive 5 speed again because the throttle was more sensitive due to the oil giving more slip. As for longetivity, because this was in a turbo setup, the oil did last me 15,000 of the 20,000 they guarantee. Worth the extra 5-8 bucks? I think so, more efficiency gives better mileage and less oil changes.
Wow, is that right? Sounds like something I might try on my next oil change. Has anyone else used the extended Mobil 1 oil?

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Funny I had the opposite experience with extended performance. I will never go near the stuff again and consider it complete crap. As usual, YMMV and to each his own. Here's how I got *MY* opinion...

This is on my 1995 200SX SE-R with cold air intake, header, exhaust, cams, ECU (and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't really matter to the discussion of oil). The car is now a dedicated track car but at the time I tried it, it was getting 50/50 track duty and weekend street car to go to the girlfriend's house (wife now) I had always used Mobil 1 5w30 and the place I got it from (actually most shops around for the better part of that summer) started stocking ONLY the extended performance. I didn't know much about it at the time and was reluctant to try it but I figured it was Mobil 1 so it couldn't be bad. I changed the oil at my in-laws (hour and a half from where I was living at the time) and on the way home noticed an immediate difference. There was no noticeable difference in drivability or performance (as noted by PHANTOM above) but where I did notice a difference was in oil pressure and oil temperature. Due to the number of track events I do, I have gauges installed in the car. In a normal car you wouldn't notice an increase in the oil temperature and correlated drop in oil pressure.

Prior to extended performance, I would get roughly 10PSI for every 1k RPMs of engine speed and it would approximately raise with each 1k RPMs (slight delay) With the extended performance, I would get very sluggish response from the oil pressure gauge and it would slowly build to 20 or so PSI to 4k RPMs and then slowly start to build to maybe 25 or so before it hit 6.5k RPMs and then from there to redline (7.75k RPMs) it'd peg up to about 60-70PSI. Temperature wise, I'd never see temps up over 200 degrees. Not even on the track on a hot day. After the extended performance driving on a cool evening (ambient 55-60) I was seeing temps around 250-300! On the track on a hot day I caught somewhere around 350 before I realized and started cooling the car down. In retrospect and if I had to do it again, I would've swapped that crap out of the car IMMEDIATELY. I keep meaning to send the oil off for a blackstone analysis but I think it caused permanent damage. Even now running 15w50 I don't quite see the pressures I was previously seeing and sometimes see spikes in temperature. I'm not ALL THAT worried about it anymore as it's a dedicated track car and deep down I want to swap the engine so seeing the pressure gauge at 10PSI running at 5.5k RPMs I'm not too worried when I see the temp within an acceptable range. I'm actually a bit curiuos and just keep going. So long as the temp is up, I'll keep going. When I see the temp rising I pull back.

Either way, because of that experience, *I* will never go near the stuff again. I did some research and checked with a friend who works in the oil industry and no one could really explain the situation to me. I didn't know of bob is the oil guy at the time. I did notice on the back of the extended performance it said something about avoiding high temperatures, high RPM driving (which I wasn't doing much on the street), or extended periods of idling. It seems the oil is prone to overheating which was my issue.

Like I said, to each his own

edit: Oh, also, I meant to mention. Technically I could use the same filter on all 4 of my cars. I don't know the numbers offhand of the filter but the extended, large capacity one is what is spec'd for the 02 Maxima and the FX45. The shorter one is what's spec'd for the SE-R and the G37. Some bozo on the Maxima forum tried to tell me that I would risk blowing up the engine on the Maxima trying to use the shorter filter from the SE-R on the VQ35 because that particular filter from Nissan is no good. It's gotten me 230k or so miles on the SE-R so I kind of doubt that (170k on the Maxima)

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wireboltman said:
I've been using Amsoil for the last 35 yrs.
I swear by it.

http://www.amsoil.com/
I've been using it and it is a great oil. (5w-30ASL and the 0w-30SSO)
I've heard a lot of good things about Castrol Syntec 0w-30 made in Germany it is a true synthetic and group IV. They rave about it in the bobistheoilguy
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... Post718643 and in my350z.com. Is anyone using it? I might give it a try I'm due for and oil change next month.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I'm curious if anyone knows what oil Infiniti puts in the engines of the FX35/50 for delivery, from the factory?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wireboltman said:
I've been using Amsoil for the last 35 yrs.
I swear by it.

http://www.amsoil.com/
+1000

i have a 06 EVO IX pretty modified... 11 second pumpgas street car... 446 awhp on 93 octane...I use the signature series 0w30...

I dont know if Infiniti would actually want to use it on my car since its a lease... In any other case i would use it no problem...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts