Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an advertising/marketing professional, I'm fascinated by dorky stuff like this, so please bear with me. :)

The FX is an interesting beast in that it appeals to customers currently owning vastly different kinds of vehicles. Some are disenchanted with their large SUVs and want something easier to park and more fuel-efficient.

Others are coming from the other direction--they need more passenger/cargo room, but don't want to move to a traditional SUV. Maybe it's the styling, maybe it's the performance--for whatever reason, this group prefers the FX.

Yet another group is the sports car lover who has to buy something more "practical," yet refuses to give up performance. The FX satisfies both criteria.

I'm curious to learn where everyone came from, so to speak, to their FX. What vehicle did your FX replace? And why?

Here's mine:

PREVIOUS VEHICLE: 1996 BMW 318ti
CURRENT VEHICLE: 2004 FX35
REASON FOR SWITCH: The BMW was a coupe, and I needed more passenger room, plus four doors for easier access. Having had a hatchback for so many years, I realized how practical they are--you wouldn't believe what I've hauled in that ti. But, I was spoiled by the performance--I hate the way conventional SUVs drive.The FX proved to be the best of both worlds for me. I get more cargo room than the ti, two more doors, and outstanding performance.
DOWNSIDES: The FX gets about 5mpg less than my ti. And due to its larger size, I can't grab the tiny parking spots anymore. :)

How about the rest of you?

D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Previous Car(s): 2002 MB C32 AMG Sedan sold in April/ 1998 Lexus GS400 Sold last week

Current: 2003 FX45

Reason For Selling: C32 was fun but small and the blown 6 seemed to be working to hard (felt stressed) compared to the smooth 8 in the GS400 which I'd had for 2 years. GS400 was great but the miles started getting up there (108K) and wanted something newer. Never been an SUV guy because I always wanted more performance (the GS400 was the slowest of the last 4 cars I owned before the FX45).

Downsides: Lexus has a higher quality interior and better fit & finish overall.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Previous Vehicle(s): 2000 Ford F-350 SuperDuty 4X4 V-10 Lariat, 1997 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 4, 1990 Nissan 300ZX, 1983 Porsche 944

Current Vehicle: 2004 Infiniti FX35 Obsidian/graphite, tech, touring, sport pkgs.

Reason for switch: got out of the snow plowing business! Tired of paying for upkeep on the Porsche.

Comments: The FX feels like a cross between the Explorer and the 911... really! Of course, no where near the hauling/pushing ability of the F-350, but then that big truck could never do better than 12 mpg on a good day.

Downsides: I sometimes wish for more low end torque, and a nice six-speed manual gearbox in the FX. Some mods will take care of the torque issue... I'm learning to appreciate the five speed auto tranny too.

Ron

·
Registered
35 Posts
PREVIOUS VEHICLE: 1999 Sebring JXI convertable/ 1993 Ford Explorer XLT
CURRENT VEHICLE: 2004 FX35
REASON FOR SWITCH: Last year, at about 4 years and 80,000 miles the Chrysler started falling apart...important electronics breaking down, control knobs freezing, driver side door going off kilter and scraping against the body, etc. etc. At the same time we hit 200,000 miles on our 1993 Explorer which we call "The Road Warrior" and had to replace the clutch (yes, it's manual!) And in many other ways it was showing that we couldn't count on it for long trips and was only a matter of time before it would have to be replaced. I happened to be passing by a nearby Nissan dealer with some time to kill and fell in love with the 350Z. Alas, we have 3 Basset Hounds and it was the Explorer that really needed to be dealt with. But the process had begun and I focused on AWD Sportwagons...BMW 325xi, MB C320, Volvo R70. I was most definitely not looking for an SUV this time around and it was by complete accident that I stumbled across the FX. So, after all is said and done, I sort of got my 350 Z that holds 3 dogs! At least that's what I keep telling myself. By the way, we kept the Sebring as a station car. Cry havoc and let loose the crazed commuters!
DOWNSIDES: The FX gets about the same mileage as the Explorer so no big deal there. But, I had to get a radar detector. :shock: :D

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Previous: 03 MINI Cooper S, 03 Chevy TrailBlazer
Current: 03 FX35
Reason: Bored, needed a change. Hoping to hang on to the FX for 2 years which is a feat in itself. Have owned 18 vehicles in 10 years. :roll:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
PREVIOUS VEHICLE: 02 IS300 5spd from 00 CLK430 from 99 GS400
CURRENT VEHICLE: 2004 FX45
REASON FOR SWITCH: The IS was my way of cutting my monthly payments when job situation was sketchy, but nothing happenned so I wanted another V8 powered unique ride with lots of gadgets. Feels like a tall sportscar, so I get some room and still speed and handling. I leased it, so I'm forced to keep it for 3 years, which is a good thing for me.
DOWNSIDES: Not much, MPG is worse than my others, but not complaining. My 6th car in 6 years, finsfx and I need a counseling group.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Here is my list.(Mines and my wife's)

'89 Pontiac Grand Prix
'90 Nissan 300ZX TT
'91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
'92 BMW 325 is
'92 VW Corado VR6
'93 Toyota Supra TT
'94 Nissan Pathfinder SE V-6
'95 Volvo 850 Turbo (Here comes our first kid)
'98 Lexus RX300
'98 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9L
'00 Acura TL
'01 Honda Oddysse
'03 Lexus ES300
'04 Infiniti FX35

I bought a Oddysse for kids and sold it because finally my youngest one learned to climb up the back seat. My favorite car before FX was VW Corado VR6. What a engine and it was unique.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Previous Vehicle(s): 2001 BMW M Coupe (now resting quietly in the garage) and a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mine).

Current Vehicle: 2004 Infiniti FX35 Touring & Sport pkgs (wife's DD)

Reason for switch: The Coupe is the only car we've ever owned that we want to keep forever and we hated putting daily driver miles on a car they don't make any more. Plus, the FX is much more suited to business use and calling on clients.

Comments: The FX is a great compromise of fun to drive, easily handles passenger(s), and retains a touch of distinctiveness (sp). I think it looks like the M Coupe on steroids. :lol:

Downsides: Lack of a six-speed manual gearbox in the FX almost threw it out of the running. I'm not sure why that is not an option on the 35, but is on the 45.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
BobKid said:
Downsides: Lack of a six-speed manual gearbox in the FX almost threw it out of the running. I'm not sure why that is not an option on the 35, but is on the 45.
:? Uh, there is no manual tranny option on ANY FX.

·
Registered
90 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
:? Uh, there is no manual tranny option on ANY FX.
My bad, I thought I remembered the books saying the 45 did.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Previous Vehicle(s): 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (mine).

Current Vehicle: 2004 Infiniti FX35 Touring (wife's DD) already thinking on trading it in on a 05 w/sport. :shock:

Reason for switch: None...The Jeep is still my offroad project vehicle (many other owners I know have spent thousands and sold afterwards) The FX is much more suited to cityfied use ...in a lifted modded WJ, valet's look at you as if your a complete redneck so we need a vehicle that was more refined. Next year I get to retire the WJ from its DD duty and looking to get a sports coupe. Rumors of M2.... :roll:

Comments: Ditto on Bob's comments...The FX is a great compromise of fun to drive, easily handles passenger(s), and dosent look like every other mall crusier. We came real close at getting a 330ci...the wife couldnt handle the six speed though...

Downsides: Tech package a la cart...Didnt need the Nav, but would have liked the keyless and camera options. More gauges (Oil pressure, temp, alternator amperage etc...

·
Registered
832 Posts
PREVIOUS VEHICLE: 01 IS300

CURRENT VEHICLE: 2003 FX35

REASON FOR SWITCH: Need more room due to addition to family.
This was the closest vehicle that fit my needs...speed, handling, AWD and the possibilities for modding. Plus love the Tech Pkg!

DOWNSIDES: I sometimes miss the feel of a "sport" car. The FX is as close as it gets in my book.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
2001 Corvette

Reason? New addition to the family, no place for a baby seat.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
1990 Toyota 4-Runner (still have webpage for it)

Didn't really need to replace it, had 220,000 miles and still ran strong. Just couldn't resist the FX.

·
Registered
13 Posts
96 Nissan Maxima SE. The Max is still running strong. I'm starting to get sentimental about selling it. But the garage is small, and I don't want the chance to scratch up the FX.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Previous vehicle was a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE with a custom 2" lift, off-road tires, and other off-road accessories. Yes, I did use (and abuse) it offroad. After 5 years and 135,000 miles, I decided I wanted a new toy. As my motorcycle took most of my weekends, my offroading fell to a bare minimum. So far, I haven't missed going off road.

·
Registered
64 Posts
previous (whilst based in japan)..

'98 Miata - brilliant fun
'00 S2000 - wayward rear-end.. fun if revved, but difficult to trust
'95 993 Carrerra - a classic, but spoilt by a tiptronic box
'97 Boxster - another classic, superb
'02 Evolution VII GT-A - awesome
'03 Evolution VIII - awesome plus manual box
'04 FX45 - rocks

i wanted more luxury, more comfort, less frenetic 'manicness' than the race/rally orientated 'evo'(s).. i wanted another 911.. but didnt want a 2(+2) seater.. the fx is a compromise (and am cheating a little as still have the boxster) but it is distinctive, handles, goes and will take skis in the back.. i couldnt be happier with it to be honest..

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Previous

1990 BMW 325is (sold)
1992 BMW 535i full dinan modification (dinan5)
1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo (current in US)
1998 BMW 520i (Taiwan) sold to get FX
1986 Porsche 944 (just sold want to get a 300zx)
2003 VW Passat V6 (CHINA) current
2003 E240 Avan (Taiwan) current
2003 FX35 (current)

I replaced the BMW for and Infiniti FX because I wanted a SUV and knowing that they are going to change the shape of the X5 soon, I am glad that I got the FX. The only problem with owning the FX in Taiwan right now is there is no parts for it over here.

Jim

1 - 20 of 71 Posts