Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I seemed to have gotten around my recent struggles with the evil Websense, but this morning I ran into a new problem. I can still access this site ok, but the FA and My350Z forums are off limits. All I get is: "Access blocked. Contact Network Support." when I try to get to the forums. The rest of the site's sections are available, only the forums are blocked; somebody hates me. Also, the old tricks won't work, either. I get the same message when I try to access Babelfish or Proxify.com. Crap. I need to go over there and kick in those **** computer geek's teeth :evil: .

Any fresh ideas on how I can thwart this one?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think you're SOL - Websense is pretty tough to beat if it's configured correctly. "They" are obviously blocking for a reason, circumventing will probably lead to disciplinary action? The best option IMHO is to talk to the powers and get the sites unblocked (if they say no, then you know what your choices are).

If you're determined check out http://sourceforge.net/projects/infranet/

Here's one easy "solution" I use at a push on client sites - and everyones happy.

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/smartphones/treo600/
Plus
http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php

·
Registered
14 Posts
If your talking about accessing the forum from work, be careful. If they're blocking they are probably watching (and recording) as well. I obviously have no idea what policies your employer has, but where I work "misuse of company assets", as it's referred to, is an offense that can get you fired. It usually takes some major abuse before they actually act on it, but I know several that "are no longer with the company", one of which is an ex-roommate of mine. If they ever come looking for an excuse to get rid of you, this is an easy one, and a tough one to fight.

I don't mean to be such a downer -- just a word of caution between FXers.

For me, it's not worth the risk. I like my job, and I have a sizable FX payment to make.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any way I can remote access my home computer and access the internet though it and my home connection? I though Kenny had something like this set up.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Is there any way I can remote access my home computer and access the internet though it and my home connection? I though Kenny had something like this set up.
i can relay topics.....

today::

arguing about the new 4.8i bmw

arguing about the new (claimed) 04 suspension

arguing asbout the performance of the wrxsti versus the m5....

lol

sorry for the smarta## comments....

-eS

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Yeah, but you have to be running Linux at home, and it helps to have a greater-than-128Kbit/sec upload on your connection, as well as a static IP. There might be a way to do this from Windows, as well, but I'm completely clueless as to that.

Essentially, I run a "squid" HTTP proxy at home listening on port 888, then use an "SSH" encrypted tunnel of port 888 on my home machine to port 8888 on the work box. I "ssh" out to my house from my office with a special set of command-line arguments that implement the TCP port forwarding, then make my browser proxy thru "localhost:8888". Clicking a link sends the request to localhost (the box you're on) port 8888, which is then securely tunneled (via the SSH login) to my home machine's port 888, at which point the Squid proxy actually gets the pages, keeps a cache on the home machine, then serves it up to me. All they see at work is a bunch of garbage traffic to a port 22 somewhere on the 'net.

... of course, they can always just walk by and see where you're browsing, too.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, that's a bit over my head. I may just have to rely on the relay method; Thanks, Esemes. There are a couple of threads there I need to keep up with though: IssaFX's mega mods thread and the FX35 autoX thread. Finally back on now that I'm home, but what a B!tch. Someone is deffinitely screwing with me; I had access later in the day in that I could see the forum and read the threads, but when I tried to reply to one, I got forwarded to our district's internet usage policy on the home site. Very funny. I am in no way in violation of our policy as it is worded; I think they are trying to send me a message, though. Well, don't be surprised if I'm not around that much during the day anymore; guess I'll have to read a book or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts