Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just something I've been pondering lately and I thought I'd pose it to the group: I have two options for driving to work. I can either travel mostly on the freeway for 26 miles (one way) in about 40 minutes, OR I could travel 18 miles in 46 minutes, but through an entirely residential area (many stop lights).

Keeping in mind gas milage and wear on the tires/brakes/etc, which would you choose?

·
Registered
443 Posts
take freeway when you go to work and drive in the residential area when you come back

:idea:

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I take the freeway, less stop and go and wear and tear on your fx. For me going to work is all local traffic, its about a 2km drive but with 6 traffic lights one way.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
gadgets said:
which would you choose?
My two year old daughter has taught me that when offered a choice between two options, take them both. So I guess I'd take the highway when I'm late or just want to get there, and residential for fun (provided there aren't too many lights). The downside about the highway is that's where most rock chips come from.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Keeping out of residential neighborhoods as much as possible is also a good thing.
Less chance of hitting a kid or anybody darting out from behind a parked car.
Those elements are basically eliminated on a freeway.
I'd err on the side of safety, not mileage, brakes, or tires.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
particlefx said:
In this math problem, safety was an implied given and applies to both choices.
Safety is certainly a consideration. So is peace-of-mind (or lack thereof) while driving.

That being said and not under discussion here, why do we buy cars? More specifically, why do we buy FXs?

Is it so we can resell them at a good price? after 2 years? four? seven?
Is it so we can baby them so we don't have to buy tires, etc. a thousand miles sooner? two thousand?
Is it so it won't get dirty?

I say we buy FXs to DRIVE 'em! Whatever pleasures you most, go for it! If you like (and can do it with the amount of caution required) high speed freeway driving, take the freeway. If you like (and can do it with the amount of caution required) surface street stop-and-go with twists and curves, take them instead. If you like both, split the difference.

I didn't spend 50 large to try to save my FX for the next guy. I'm gonna get mine out. That's my only math problem. #-o

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
particlefx said:
In this math problem, safety was an implied given and applies to both choices.
Must have missed the implication completely.
Still do -

Given that assumption:

Less stop and go is better for the vehicle in all respects mentioned.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
revOevoM said:
...I didn't spend 50 large to try to save my FX for the next guy....
I crack my self up twice today, first was "which headlights" from Sweet, now this. :p :p :D :D , have my day already.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here's some simple math:

Mileage:
(( 26 - 18 ) x 2) x 220 = 3,520 miles per year more on freeway (could be material if you're on a lease).

Gas:
est $0.07 difference per mile = ~$250 more on freeway.

Commute time:
((( 46 - 40 ) x 2) x 220)/60 = 44 hours more per year for residential.

What would I do? Probably a mix to keep me from going crazy. Implied or not, child safety would be a big factor to me, as would school times, traffic cops, alternate root options, fender bender probability... and Starbucks location.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.