Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is a Copied & Pasted an email from "PayPal"....kinda suspicious to me cuz I only used it once and it was long time ago. Who ever create this SCAM is an expert cuz if you click on the "PayPal" link, it'll take you to PayPal site (look alike) I didn't enter the site but to contacted [email protected] and their immediate reply answer was this is a SCAM and they are investigating, it then ask me to enter my account info if I need to log back in PayPal... I am really not sure if this reply really from PayPal or Not.... Read on.

>>>>>>>>>>>HERE IS FIRST EMAIL<<<<<<<<

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the
PayPal system. We recently noticed the following issue on your account:

We would like to ensure that your account was not accessed by an
unauthorized third party. Because protecting the security of your
account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal
account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please
understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.
Case ID Number: PP-072-838-XXX

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/websc ... laint-view

For your protection, we have limited access to your account until
additional security measures can be completed. We apologize for any
inconvenience this may cause.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal
usedto make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the
Resolution Center https://www.paypal.com/ . If, after reviewing your account information, you
seekfurther clarification regarding your account access, please contact
PayPal by visiting the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".We thank you for
your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a
security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for
any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

PayPal Email ID PP522

DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove...

>>>>>>>>>>>> HERE IS A REPLY FROM PAYPAL<<<<<<
Dear ,

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

We appreciate you bringing this suspicious email to our attention. We
can confirm that the email you received was not sent to you by PayPal.
The website linked to this email is not a registered URL authorized or
used by PayPal. We are currently investigating this incident fully.
Please do not enter any personal or financial information into this
website.

If you have surrendered any personal or financial information to this
fraudulent website, you should immediately log into your PayPal Account
and change your password and secret question and answer information.
Any
compromised financial information should be reported to the appropriate
parties.

If you notice any unauthorized activity associated with your PayPal
transaction history, please immediately report this to PayPal by
following the instructions below:

1. Log in to your account at https://www.paypal.com/ by entering
your email address and password into the Member Log In box

2. Click on Security Center at the bottom of the page

3. Click on the 'Unauthorized Transaction' link under the Report a
Problem column

4. Please follow the instructions in order to access the
appropriate
form

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us
again.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yes, I have received this e-mail several times. it is very convincing, but I assumed it was a scam. To confirm, I simply opened a new window and logged into my Paypal account and checked all of the functions; everything was fine, so I ignored and deleted the E-mail. There are similar scams regarding Ebay; people get your account info. and make purchases posing as you.

Glad you brought this up, actually; I'm helping a friend of mine who's an Ebay/Paypal virgin get all set up and show her the ropes this weekend. I need to make sure I warn her about this stuff.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I recieved the same email, I deleted it. I learned my lesson when fake ebay link was sent to me to update my account, good thing the real ebay told me it was a scam and advised me to quickly change my password.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks for the info! I usually delete these types of messages anyways but this is a great reminder/reinforcer to do so.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GraFX35 said:
..... I usually delete these types of messages anyways ....
So how can we know REAL PayPal sending us email, what if it is urgent?

·
Registered
361 Posts
2Fast4U said:
GraFX35 said:
Here's a little thing that I do before logging into any sites. 1st time, type in the wrong username and password. If it accepts, then it was a phishing site lured to obtain your ID. If it rejects (as obvious it should), then you can put in correct info.

Also another thing I do is type in the url myself instead of clicking on any link. So paypal send you email? Just type http://www.paypal.com. Takes two seconds. Then use 1st trick above.

Not saying its fool proof, but any measures you take to protect yourself is worth it, imo. Even if silly and takes a little more time.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
That's usually what I do; just open a new window and go to the site manually to check things out. Niether Paypal or Ebay will ever send an e-mail containing any request for personal info. or a link to log into your account just for these reasons.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
That's usually what I do; just open a new window and go to the site manually to check things out. Niether Paypal or Ebay will ever send an e-mail containing any request for personal info. or a link to log into your account just for these reasons.
I normally check the href of the link itself before I do anything. Typically, you'll see something that goes to some hostname other than http://www.paypal.com instead of what the label of the link says. In the past, I've seen several of them which were directing victims to some IP address in china.

If it looks like a fraudulent email, forward it to paypal and they will take it up on their side. They have been pretty responsive to me in the past on that.

-Andy

·
Registered
498 Posts
URLs can be spoofed in emails. Just log into the site directly in a new browser as mentioned and check things out. Never click on a link an email.

Regardless, if there is a CRITICAL issue, they will call you, not send you an email.

·
Registered
468 Posts
fearFX said:
I recieved the same email, I deleted it. I learned my lesson when fake ebay link was sent to me to update my account, good thing the real ebay told me it was a scam and advised me to quickly change my password.
Same thing happened to me ! I had an excellent rating, buying and selling, and I had been a member for nearly 5 years, and ebay deleted my account after I informed them what was going on...now I have nothing, no rating what so ever and I don't even want to bother to put in the time to try again...sad...

Someone mentioned above, "how do we know if it's a scam ?" When/if you click the link to the site, check the address on your browser and make sure the domain of the site is legit...that's all I know for right now, because they put up the mirror sites on different domains...

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Hoshtaylor said:
Someone mentioned above, "how do we know if it's a scam ?" When/if you click the link to the site, check the address on your browser and make sure the domain of the site is legit...that's all I know for right now, because they put up the mirror sites on different domains...
Yes and the address you are really clicking on will typically show up in your browser as just an IP address, like "http://12.34.567.890" and not the real URL.

Once every month or so I usually get a scam email like this from someone pretending to be a bank -- asking me to enter my account information. Jerks.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
The first thing I check for is spelling mistakes. That quickly points out a phishing message, as eBay and PayPal are perfectionists.

The message above was pretty good, but it appeared to repeat certain parts of the message too often and had a space missing after a period at the end of sentence. It's pretty apparent, if you look for it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
2Fast4U said:
GraFX35 said:
THESE KINDS OF EMAILS COME NOT JUST FROM PAYPAL BUT ALL KINDS OF BANKS, CREDIT CARD CO, etc...

Any real email will address you by first and last name but to be safe don't click on ANY links, go to the home page of the company that "sent" you the email and login the way you normally do and any information they need changing will be displayed.. You could also just call the company that supposedly sent you the email.

From PayPals web site

Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Emails

At PayPal, protecting your account's security is our top priority. Recently, PayPal members have reported suspicious-looking emails and fake websites. These emails are not from PayPal and responding to them may put your account at risk. Please protect your PayPal account by paying close attention to the emails you receive and the websites you visit.

Please use the following tips to stay safe with PayPal:

* Safe Log In: To log in to your PayPal account or access the PayPal website, open a new web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the following: https://www.paypal.com
* Greeting: Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. Fraudulent emails often include the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member".
* Email Attachments: PayPal emails will never ask you to download an attachment or a software program. Attachments contained in fraudulent emails often contain viruses that may harm your computer or compromise your PayPal account.
* Request for Personal Information: If we require information from you, we will notify you in an email and request that you enter the information only after you have safely and securely logged in to your PayPal account.

Often, fraudulent emails will request details such as your full name, account password, credit card number, bank account, PIN number, Social Security Number, or mother's maiden name.

If you think that you have received a fraudulent email (or fake website), please forward the email (or URL address) to [email protected] and then delete the email from your mailbox. Never click any links or attachments in a suspicious email.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.