Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day i was washing my FX and opened the hood and it was all dusty and ugly, so i took the sponge and hose and washed it all down...now it looks new again...anyone ever done this?
is it at all dangerous and could i have messed anything up?
i let it run after to dry it up with the heat and the only thing i noticed was some steam coming out of the grille which was obviously just the water evaporating....

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
I have run a wet towel over the engine but usually when it is in the garage drying.

I have also zanioed inside of the sidewalls in the engine & and of course my plenumed is washed and zanioed as well.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
When the engine gets a little dirty, I go to the car wash and take engine cleaner--GUNK-- and cover the whole engine. Let it work in for a bit, then squirt it off with the high pressure hose. No problem. Older car engines with the old style distributor caps sometimes missed a bit after a bath like that, but they got over it.

A lot of car washes have an engine cleaning degreaser position on the control box for doing just that. I squirt the degreaser on and then wash the car while it does its work.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
particlefx said:
Any concerns about spraying cold water on a hot engine?

When I wash the engine, I make sure the engine is not extremely hot. The car wash I go to is about 1 minute away.
That would be a legitimate concern if the engine was hot.

I guess I should have mentioned that.

This isn't something I do all that often. Once a yr at best. I clean the engine compartment regularly by hand with a sponge, Armorall Wipes, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I usually get the service department at Infiniti Taiwan to wash it when I take it in for service and leave it over night. They do a preety good job at it. They usually wash it when its been sitting for a long time.

Jim

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pardon my complete naiveté, but just to get this straight .. you are actually opening the hood, and spraying water in there, all over, with no ill effects?

I guess I knew the engine compartment was open to the weather and had to be semi-water resistent, but didn't think spraying a garden hose in there would be a good idea. ???

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
duncantuna said:
Pardon my complete naiveté, but just to get this straight .. you are actually opening the hood, and spraying water in there, all over, with no ill effects?

I guess I knew the engine compartment was open to the weather and had to be semi-water resistent, but didn't think spraying a garden hose in there would be a good idea. ???

Don't forget to use the "Gunk," first. :D
A high pressure wash would be much more beneficial. As was posted earlier, it's probably not a good idea to do this when the engine's hot.

Common sense always prevails -

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.