Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching the forum on if I have to warm up my car or not after a night of sitting in the garage, but got many unrelated responses.

Do any of you warm up your car in the mornings before driving off? My friends were telling me that newer generation cars do not need to be warmed up.

As I have been doing with all my cars, I warm them up after a cold start until my RPMs are below 1000, then I will start to drive.

Sorry if this is a stupid question... If someone can lead me to a thread, I can read that also.

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I'm sure there will be a variety of responses to this question, so I'll first point out what the owner's manual says:

Warm-up

Allow the engine to idle for at least 30
seconds after starting. Do not race the
engine while warming it up. Drive at moderate
speed for a short distance first, especially
in cold weather.

In cold weather, keep the engine running
for a minimum of 2 to 3 minutes before
shutting it off. Starting and stopping the
engine over a short period of time may
make the vehicle more difficult to start.

Be careful shifting into gear if the engine is cold because the engine speed may be high. Personally, I don't warm the engine for more than 10 seconds unless it is really cold outside.

·
Registered
882 Posts
same

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Remote starter works well for this :D .

·
Registered
706 Posts
I usually wait 30 seconds to a minute for putting in gear and I drive slow until I see the temp leveling off.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
johnmax said:
Remote starter works well for this :D .
It sure does! About a minute or two before leaving, I just press that button on the key fob and hear my KITI "Growl" to life! 8)

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I usually let it warm till the engine rpm becomes regular idea speed, then I go, usually take about a minute or two at most.

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses... They didn't seem to vary as much as I thought. I received varying responses from different friends and thanks to you guys, I will only be warming up max 2 mins. instead of the 4-5 I usually give it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, it depend on the kind of oil you have in your car. Winter oil is obviously better for cold weather and needs less warming up. Summer oil becomes stiff during low temp. and needs to be warmed up, otherwise it will eventually have a damaging effect, for the stiff oil prevents the engine from operating as it should, oil is not doing its function. Ideally, it should be warmed up till the temp. arrow reaches the first divider and/or when the engine becomes a bit more idle. If you are in a rush you can drive, but don't go over 2,000 RPM, 1,500 is ideal, but you'll be barely moving....

·
Registered
599 Posts
I normally don't really wait to warm up the engine. I just get in a drive off. Even if it is freezing out. Ok, sometimes I do, but not usually. I know this is probably bad for the car but hey, I am late sometimes!

Anyways the engine sounds really rough initially and I never take it above 2500rpm. Once the temp indicator reaches the halfway mark and my heater starts going then the engine is fine.

Car still runs perfectly at 34500miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts