Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finishing up what I hope is a solid NA build. This started off as a GB feeler thread and I finally decided what the **** and pulled the trigger - The custom built 304 SS headers have been the biggest holdup time wise but they are near completion and should be coated early next week. Really looking forward to having my ride back........

Following the build I'll need to re-do my UPREV tune but after it is over I'll be posting GB's for a couple of the parts if anyone is interested. The tech who is making the headers will be making both a version of the long tubes (max power but not cheap) and shorty headers which should come in under 2K and will provide plenty of flow just not as much as the long tubes.

The JWT CAM's may be available for a bulk order. They are actually the VK56 CAM's and there is a slight grind mod that needs to made to the end of each cam before install but its fairly simple for a solid mechanic.

More to follow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: VK45 - Long tube headers, JWT S2 Cams, Manifold porting,

Hey Kieran, good to hear from you man...BTW - I appreciate your help with this build, you were right there in the initial pioneering of this. A couple of header shots......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts

Wow, those pics right there give me wood ;) I'm jealous. I can't wait to see the numbers you make but, almost more importantly, hear how your FX will sound!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hah! I am really curious about the sound as well, easy enough to guesstimate the power gains but the sound (Db and quality) is an unknown. The 300 cell HFC's are on hand should the Db's get out of control but I want to hear it W/ Long tube headers directly into the Nismo system before we make any changes.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts

Those headers are a thing of beauty!!! Nice to know people are doing some pioneer work on the VK's now... been a while! And it needs love compared to the VQ's!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Subscribed to three more weeks in the shop so builder can complete his patterns for additional headers should anyone want them. Man I really wanted this thing back......into the sixth week now and counting. Upside is everything will be done, headers will be in silver chromex not gold now that we have time - additional time will include GT Spec pan install, mid chassis brace, my second GTS lower brace, etc. HFC's will also be in place (not going to take a chance with the sound). I did see the intake manifold and it is amazing, almost looks like chrome.....I had them cut off the engine cover stand offs then reroute all the wiring around it. Curious to see how it comes out.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts

Told you to be patient ;)

What's another week or so? You'll have PLENTY of time to enjoy it when you get it back. Sounds like a quality job

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts

Ohhh shiny. Looks nice!

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts

OOOOOooooo... real thing of BEAUTY!!!

·
Premium Member
771 Posts

That looks really impressive. It's been a while since we had a good 45 build to follow. Keep us posted - you know we're going to want video!!!

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts

It's funny... now when I look at the picture on my computer and not just the phone, it may be the angle of the picture but your engine just looks monstrous! Like a truck or something.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Headers are coated, polished and in the shop. Install should be completed tonight with dial in tomorrow and potential first drive tomorrow. Fingers crossed, if this takes a few extra days its not a problem as i have a trip coming up but I'd like to pick it up complete and bullet proof (if possible). After all is said and done I still need to get the FX in for an UPREV re-tune as I am sure it is far off the mark from its last session......

Still no new pics =(

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts

kieranlavin said:
It's funny... now when I look at the picture on my computer and not just the phone, it may be the angle of the picture but your engine just looks monstrous! Like a truck or something.
Same thing has been said about MY... uhm... ... engine... it's all about the angle you look at it... ... ... :p

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Started and ran it around a couple block last night warm after my guy delivered it. Starts up with woof again (it didn't do this with the newly installed Nismo alone) but it's shorter and more definitive than it was with the Invidia, more of a bark =). At idle its surprisingly quiet but emits a nice rumble and the lope is evident, total V8 emission. Heavy fuel smell and some vapors in cabin, possibly just initial burn off.
Up to 2-3K it is still moderate with no drone then between 3,500 and 4K (when pushed) it wakes up and the sound gets much more radical, to the point where you wonder what's under the hood. Tech thinks the unique sound is a combination of the long tubes AND the CAM's as it is not just one or the other. Also the HFC's won't be available until January so he ran it straight from the headers to the Nismo, I am amazed how Jekyll and Hyde it is, if you don't push the engine it justs sound a bit more......unique. The HFC's will definitely take the edge and make it more stealth but I'm fine running it like this for awhile to see how it breaks in. Really it is surprisingly mellow........but I only drove it a few blocks so I'll hold off on any major reports for the time being.

Today - Cold start - Quite a bit different than the warm start up I heard last night. Start up is a distinct angry sharp growl (It is very cool) that has very short duration and rolls into a lope that has more to do with A/F than the cams....Tune needed. there is also a very light tinny sound start up sound somewhere (a heat shield or something I bet and hopefully an easy fix). Car now drops down to 600 RPM and gets too close to stall...tune needed. The HFC's are needed for the mellow factor BUT the rev sound is freakishly cool.

WHP and torque Power increase has yet to be determined, there is a break in period but it has much more pull even at half throttle. When I get back I'll log some miles and then get it Re-tuned, it should smooth out and we'll see what everything adds up to. No CEL's yet BTW......

A few dial in issues but it runs and seems to run well enough for the moment.

A new engine pic (headers are nearly impossible to see from the top) -

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m63 ... =photo.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts

Very cool. I love the startup "racket" from a stock 45.

Surprisingly, the ECU should "learn" some of the differences on its own. That's actually part of the break-in. I'd agree that a tune would be a good idea BUT the ECU will do a pretty damned good job on its own.

A friend turbo'd his car and went out for a ride afterward. Our cars used to be dead even and I went out following him (in case something went wrong with his car) and getting on the highway, he couldn't pull from me. We drove around for close to an hour (ahhhh, back when gas price didn't mean anything ;) ) and, as we drove around, I could see his car getting faster and faster and faster... it was the ECU learning all of the differences. It was a "turbo" ECU but he still had it redone later by JWT.

That's the way to be though in terms of Jekyl and Hyde. You want to be able to be subtle and not piss off the neighbors but be able to, at the same time, have that unique sound.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts