Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was hoping someone can shine some light on a problem I'm having with my 2004 FX35 AWD w/ tech, premium. I noticed when I'm driving in the snow and you suddenly brake because of the car slipping I tend to hear a loud and fast "cling, cling cling ..." noise. This happens only when the the car is sliding and I'm pressing the break pedal. I do have the VDC on and the noise is there regaurdless of the Snow mode being on or off. Can the ABS be malfunctioning or is this normal for when the car is slipping on snow/ice/water?

I'm in central NJ and tom it's going to snow so I will be trying this out again to get a better pic. Any help would be appreciated, thankyou

·
Registered
34 Posts
i think i know exactly what your talking about. i thought it was more of like a rapid ticking. i think its the diff splitting power. happens when i take it off pavement usually and bad weather powersliding :twisted:

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Mine is loud as **** when the VDC kicks in. The first time it kicked in, I thought I lost my front end.

I think it is funny when it kicks in when trying to do a U-turn (sharp and quickly).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it seems odd that the noise would bee this loud.......

·
Registered
498 Posts
particlefx said:
It's the ABS. Same thing happened to me in Tahoe last week. Our default performance tires are crap in the snow.
You have 18's or 20's?

Edit - NM, 18's do OK in Tahoe. Not great. Wish Michelin would make a tire for the FX.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It is the ABS, sounds like loud metal spring ticking/tapping. I had the VDC kick in during U-Turns in the snow also and it sounds like a deep groaning whale :lol:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
anyone ever go into some nice solid snow with some speed and just punch it! ... all 4 wheels are spinning and its the coolest feeling as the entire car is floating on 4 spinning wheels.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Every time I do something like that with my wife in the car she speaks my full first name just once. Her tone never changes. I swear if I recorded her every time she says it and played them all back, they would be identical. I'm afraid she has conditiioned her response so well, I can't think of your powerslide without hearing my name.
But, yes. The FX does some really nice powerslides.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ahhh, the search feature is great. I was out driving in the recent snowfall last night and doing a little traction testing :) and of course upon braking the ABS system kicked in and upon acceleration the VDC kicked in. Well, I almost parked the car after hearing the noises the ABS and VDC made. Jeez, I've driven several other cars with ABS and they have never made that much clicking and grinding noises. I heard the noise when both the ABS and VDC kicked in, although I think I only heard noise with the VDC after I had braked then accelerated activating the VDC....I was thinking of having it checked out but it sounds like everyone is experiencing the same loud noises so it must be normal.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Got to agree here - the VDC kicking in sounds like someone is murdering a huge pig, and it is grunting its last breath.

Meandvls is right, it sounds ten times worse than other anti-spin equipped cars I've owned. Still, if it sounds like that for everyone, then its either as it should be - or a design fault on all our cars :?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is any indicator on the gauges that shows when the VDC kicks in?

So far I have been seeing only the "SLIP" sign lighting up...is this for the VDC as well?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Been thrashing my FX in the snow today, and it's only the Slip lamp that blinks - but you can feel the VDC kicking in

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
bradical said:
anyone ever go into some nice solid snow with some speed and just punch it! ... all 4 wheels are spinning and its the coolest feeling as the entire car is floating on 4 spinning wheels.
HAHAHA!!! i love it!!! every time it snows i look forward to doing 4 wheel burnouts :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
brava said:
Is any indicator on the gauges that shows when the VDC kicks in?

So far I have been seeing only the "SLIP" sign lighting up...is this for the VDC as well?
Slip means that you lost traction, so the traction control and VDC try to fix it. But there is no light to tell you when just the VDC has kicked in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
never heard such striking noise as you mentioned here...could be that my VDC never kicked-in?...albeit I have been in few situations when my car started to slide...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.