Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wake up this morning and go out to get my newspaper and notice that my rear passenger tire is *completely* flat.

I had to take it to a local tire place to fix. Turns out I ran over some enormous screw, like 3" long. Grrr.... :x

Hope everyone else is having a better start to their labor day weekend.

·
Registered
80 Posts
did u replace it? just wanna know how much its gonna cost to replace tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
04fx35 said:
did u replace it? just wanna know how much its gonna cost to replace tires.

ive seen the same stock ones for the 20's for 170-190$ so its not bad since considering i pay so much more on my other tires for my other cars its soo sad. :? so im very suprise the stock 20's goodyears are not so overpriced.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm curious .. would any of you ever use the "Fix a Flat" products? I've kept a can of it in my car for years for emergencies .. never had the misfortune of having to try it out.

I realize it shoots gunk in the tire, which can't be good, but it's probably a lot easier to do that than change a tire at night/freezing/etc.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
duncantuna said:
I'm curious .. would any of you ever use the "Fix a Flat" products? I've kept a can of it in my car for years for emergencies .. never had the misfortune of having to try it out.

I realize it shoots gunk in the tire, which can't be good, but it's probably a lot easier to do that than change a tire at night/freezing/etc.
It works in a pinch, but I can tell you tire shop guys sure hate the stuff when they have to clean it all out to patch your tire...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote from '05 owner's manual for those with tire pressure monitoring:

"Do not inject any tire liquid or aerosol tire sealant into the tires, as this may cause a malfunction of the tire pressure sensors."

24 Hour road side assistance...

·
Registered
441 Posts
If you are going to carry a tire/fix I would go to Griots and buy there kit or get a professional one...thats the only one I would use
Phil

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've used it a couple times many years ago, and it worked for slow leaks. At the time I wasn't concerned about cleaning it up as I never kept a vehicle more than a couple years. I wouldn't use it on my current vehicles unless I was planning on selling them soon.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
skerr11 said:
Quote from '05 owner's manual for those with tire pressure monitoring:

"Do not inject any tire liquid or aerosol tire sealant into the tires, as this may cause a malfunction of the tire pressure sensors."

24 Hour road side assistance...
Ah, didn't think about that. Deffinitely don't want to screw up one of those. Looks like it's tire changin' time!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah, I didn't think of gunking up the tire pressure monitors. Guess I should remove that can from my hold.

I do also carry a 12v air compressor, usually for pumping up bike tires, but I imagine it would work OK with a slow leak in a tire and get me a few miles.

I did have a flat once with another car.. could NOT get the lugs off. Called a tow .. huge muscle guy couldn't get the lugs off, had to tow it in.

After that event, I've thought about having a 12v wrench in my car, too. Like this $37 item .. http://store.yahoo.com/sterlingtime/automotive-maintenance-service-tools-aut-iw12v-12.html

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oh, wow. Did some more surfing .. man, there are some great 12 volt dohickies you can plug in your power port.

How about a
Hot Dog to Go cooker?

Crusing in your FX and need some soup? 12v pot:

Or maybe you like fresh ground coffee. Here's a bean grinder and coffee maker :

All this and more can be found at http://www.12vautotech.com :bday:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I'm sure they'd be happy to fix it... on your dime. Those things aren't cheap and there's the printed warning in the owner's manual, so it's not like you could say you didn't know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cooking in your Car

Hi, I'm the owner of 12vautotech.com, the site to which you so kindly placed a link (and stole my pictures). I don't suppose that anyone here is about to cook soup in their infinity. The were originally made for truck drivers (ever wonder why they seem to be sleeping at noon). Sometimes folks who go to lots of car shows use them too.

You guys might find more interest in some of the light kits that I sell. Find them at http://www.12vautotech.com/lighting.php

If there are any silly little things that plug into cigarette lighters or your cars electrical system that you think you might want - just let me know.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I have a screw in my RR tire that slow leaked 'till I put some "Fix a Flat" in it; my TPS on that side works very well still (I check it every day to make sure it's not still leaking). It's been about 3 weeks now, and since I'll be getting new tires soon ($1G) I just used that as a stopgap 'till I get the new ones.

I was worried at first about the TPS sensors, but at 50 miles from home (which in LA terms is really nothing) I didn't want to be stranded.

·
Registered
848 Posts
duncantuna said:
I do also carry a 12v air compressor, usually for pumping up bike tires, but I imagine it would work OK with a slow leak in a tire and get me a few miles.http://store.yahoo.com/sterlingtime/automotive-maintenance-service-tools-aut-iw12v-12.html
I've still got my 12v compressor in the back from when I had a slow leak...had to pump up a tire about once per week for a couple months, until I went in for my 15k service. They found a screw in the tire and patched it during the tire rotation.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Re: Flat Tires

I am seriously considering trading my TL-S for an FX35. One of my few concerns is the donut temp spare :roll: How much of a hassle is this? Not only will the full size wheel/tire not fit into the space there is the sub-wwofer to contend with. I posted the following question over in Edmund's Town Hall before I found out about you guys:

Has anyone had a flat in an FX35 and had to use the spare tire? How well does the flat tire fit in the spare "hole"? What do you do with the sub-woofer? I own an MDX (love it by the way) and have a Full Size Spare mounted underneath the car. The RX330 comes with a Full Size Spare!

I am considering a new FX or an RX and am very concerned with the FX's poor choice of a mandatory permanant donut-spare!! It seems to me if you have a flat in the FX on a trip with the rear end full of luggage/stuff then you are in deep do-do.

Thanks for your insights 8)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Re: Flat Tires

msu79gt82 said:
Not only will the full size wheel/tire not fit into the space there
You sure about this?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, while you do have some valid points, I'd consider them pretty low on the list of priorities in deciding one car over another. The FX and RX are tottally different beasts, so decide on whether you want cushy, quiet luxury or a more performance oriented vehicle. The majority of us that prefer the latter tend not to worry about little things like that so much.

In answer to your questions, though, I don't know if he flat tire/rim will fit down there. If you toss it in the back (provided it isn't full of luggage, the sub will be fine sitting down there by itself for a little while. You always have roadside assistance and you could carry a plug kit and small compressor or a can of fix-a-flat in a pinch (might screw up you pressure monitor, though) and avoid using the spare altogether. Getting a flat is never convenient. Even in he RX, if your back is full of stuff, you have to unload it all to even access the spare.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Perhaps I shouldn't have "cut and pasted" the exact post out of Edmunds. At that time I was about 50-50 between an RX330 and an FX35. Now I am leaning way toward the FX (that's why I am here 8) ).

What I meant by the full size flat not fitting in the hole regarded its thickness and not the diameter. It will fit in the space but not with the floor fitting flush down on it. Thus I am not so much concerned about a flat around town but with one on the road with a full load.

I agree it is not a deal killer (my current TL-S has the same permanent donut spare problem); however it is one area where I do give advantage to RX330 and X5; full size spares are nice to have.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts