Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have had VDC-OFF, and SLIP light on on my 2004 FX35 from time to time. I visited the infiniti service last week, and they took more than a day to figure it out what causes the problem. They said I have to replace the ABS actuator whose cost is $1,800 !!!!!

I read the couple of posts here and I also checked the brake fluid level. The level is between max and min.
Do I really have to replace the actuator??? Is there anything else what I can try?

Thanks,
Yong
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,642 Posts
changyongjun said:
Do I really have to replace the actuator??? Is there anything else what I can try?
Well did they 100% confirm it is the actuator? If so then I would say yes you have to change it. What exactly did they find and how?

Did you try and top off the fluid to the max mark? Between max and min really doesnt tell us much...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
johnmax said:
changyongjun said:
Do I really have to replace the actuator??? Is there anything else what I can try?
Well did they 100% confirm it is the actuator? If so then I would say yes you have to change it. What exactly did they find and how?

Did you try and top off the fluid to the max mark? Between max and min really doesnt tell us much...
I don't even know what they did and how. They just said it might not be the brake fluid problem.
Before spending $1,800 for my 7-year FX, I want to try doing anything I can do with a few $$.
I only checked the fluid level visually. I will try top off the fluid to the max. Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,642 Posts
changyongjun said:
They just said it might not be the brake fluid problem.
Wow. Sounds like an expert diagnosis.. :roll: You'd think they would top off the brake fluid to know for sure. Simple and costs 50 cents. And they could have ruled that out. I wouldnt bring my car back to them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
johnmax said:
changyongjun said:
They just said it might not be the brake fluid problem.
Wow. Sounds like an expert diagnosis.. :roll: You'd think they would top off the brake fluid to know for sure. Simple and costs 50 cents. And they could have ruled that out. I wouldnt bring my car back to them.
+1

I had my VDC, Slip, and ABS lights on and it was the brake fluid at the min line. Topped it off and after a couple of on/off cycles the lights went away. Hopefully that will work for you as well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
204 Posts
check the brake pads.
If they are to thin it may cause the same signal as low level of brake fluid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
OP I'm curious if you found a resolution to your issue? I noticed that you mentioned seeing the Slip and VDC Off indicators on ONLY (no ABS indicator), is this correct?

I've had an intermittent issue with these two indicators being on too (Slip and VDC Off indicators only) but only when the weather is on the colder side (never in the summer time or warmer weather >70 degrees)...strange :|

My brakes are still in great shape (new pads/rotors/brake fluid flush a while back ~20K miles or so). My brake fluid level is topped off so I don't believe my issue is with the brake fluid level (I suspect one of the ABS sensors is triggering mine, just haven't taken it anywhere to verify if any codes are present).

Larry
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,633 Posts
If you were having an ABS sensor issue, the ABS light would illuminate either steady or intermittendly (sp) and you'd have some whacky braking issues like ABS kicking in under normal, non-heavy braking conditions
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
This past winter in No. Va. my 2006 FX45 experienced the exact problem that Larry describes. As spring approached and the weather warmed (finally), the VDC OFF and SLIP light malfunction gradually eased and is now non-existent. My best judgement (including techs at Tysons Infiniti) is that a wheel sensor connection is not snug, and loosens when cold contracts the plug connection and then reconnects as weather warms and expands the connecting plug(s). Have not yet stopped long enough to locate schematic of connectors and then explore connectivity at the several points in this system. Any insight from a veteran of this problem would help us all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
i had a similar problem with a Mercedes E55. The brake switch under the brake pedal went bad and the info center was showing an abs and anti-slip disabled message. the systems worked after changing the brake switch. different car, but maybe same problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
changyongjun said:
johnmax said:
changyongjun said:
Do I really have to replace the actuator??? Is there anything else what I can try?
Well did they 100% confirm it is the actuator? If so then I would say yes you have to change it. What exactly did they find and how?

Did you try and top off the fluid to the max mark? Between max and min really doesnt tell us much...
I don't even know what they did and how. They just said it might not be the brake fluid problem.
Before spending $1,800 for my 7-year FX, I want to try doing anything I can do with a few $$.
I only checked the fluid level visually. I will try top off the fluid to the max. Thanks!

I am currently dealing with the same issue; Dealer states that ABS actuator needs replacement.
- Did the ABS actuator change cure the problem?

any recommendation?

Thanks a bunch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Hi. It just happened to me a month ago. I was driving along and then my VDC and slip light came on,but went away when I restarted the car. The car didn't start a couple days after that. I ran the code and it came up as the camshaft sensor. I fixed it by changing out my cam sensor. I got the part at the advance auto parts store for 30.00 or so. The dealership wanted over a hundred dollars for the sensor. I was easy to install. On the engine block on the drivers side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Carguy75,

Was that the only instance that you encountered this indicator light combo (while driving)? Has it ever happened at initial engine startup? And can you please confirm that it was just the VDC Off and Slip indicators ON only (and no other indicator).

Can I ask what device you used to check the codes (make/model)? I think I need to invest in one :)

Thanks!

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
I only had the slip and VDC lights come when i was driving. I got a cheap code reader from amazon for 30.00. I do not know the name,but it is cheap and works. The codes are universal across makes. Nissan service manuals have a break down of what the codes mean. I got the code for camshaft sensor. 0345 or something like that. Amazon has a lot of code readers for sale, some very expensive and some very cheap like mine. I hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Thanks this does help!

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Cool. I will try the "peddle dance" one day to see if it works. It could come in handy if I have problems at work or somewhere else away from home. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Wow. Sounds like an expert diagnosis.. :roll: You'd think they would top off the brake fluid to know for sure. Simple and cost 50 cents. And they could have ruled that out. I wouldn't bring my car back to them.
Custom S550 LED mirror covers, Autolumination LED bulbs,
Sounds great but I think easy and expenses 50 pennies. And they could have decided that out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top