Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. First post in this area so bear with me if I drag on :) I'm (currently) located in Canada and am working on an embedded system for the FX35 (and Infinitis in general) and recently ordered some hardware from the states that took FOREVER through Canadian customs shipped via regular USPS/CanadaPost. Has anyone else had similar problems either way? I haven't had this problem with the big couriers only CanadaPost.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i am in canada too
Apparently, there is a lack of worker in Canadapost.
that's why many parcels are delayed for delivery.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ottawa

No probs with FedEx or any others for that matter, just CanadaPost. It sat at customs for 4-1/2 weeks.

The system is basically a very small touch-screen / UHF remote operated MP3 Library, Video Library, and audio/video switching system that also becomes a server when you pull your car into the garage.

The two concepts differentiating it from other setups you may have seen in other threads here is that it a) will be operable by mere mortals while driving and b) look completely factory once installed without knobs and/or switches and/or controllers mounted anywhere. And of course c) is exactly the way I want it to be :)

My own FX35 is the prototype for now and hope be marketing the system in early '05. If no one is interested I'll still have the coolest FX in the neighborhood 8).

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
intuitionsys said:
am working on an embedded system (for the FX)
Hey- that's what I do for a living.

Are you working with the CAN bus? I've got this dream, that I might actually get started on, to take a TI OMAP processor running embedded Linux, and use one of it's many multiprotocol serial ports to interface to the CAN bus, and tie into the audio system, to be able to play MP3s that display on the Tech screen just like a SAT receiver, with the added bonus that if you have SAT, it'll work like the CD/DVD button and toggle between the two modes. If I decipher the CAN bus, the MP3/WMV software's been out there since forever and this thing would be a piece of cake.

(Anyway, if you've got a CAN bus spec, and need a guy who knows this stuff to help you, let me know.)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Are you working with the CAN bus? I've got this dream, that I might actually get started on, to take a TI OMAP processor running embedded Linux, and use one of it's many multiprotocol serial ports to interface to the CAN bus, and tie into the audio system, to be able to play MP3s that display on the Tech screen just like a SAT receiver, with the added bonus that if you have SAT, it'll work like the CD/DVD button and toggle between the two modes. If I decipher the CAN bus, the MP3/WMV software's been out there since forever and this thing would be a piece of cake.
Huh?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hadn't thougth of that but that's a hellofa good idea. I'm not familiar with the CAN bus but did a quick investigation and it seems straightforward enough. My experience is more with GPIB, RS-xxx and proprietary PIO interfacing to other instrumentation.

I had planned on taking the easy way out and using a PAC-AIINS for audio interfacing since most people (myself included) don't have sat. I'll do some more research on the CAN bus tonight though. Thanks alot you got my head spinning now that I thought I was close to completion :)

btw I haven't gotten to it yet but do you know if the S3 chip on the EPIA-N will sync down to 15kHz? Otherwise I'll need to build and/or integrate some S-Video to RGBS hardware. I was hoping I could hack the driver to get it to sync down that low.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
intuitionsys said:
btw I haven't gotten to it yet but do you know if the S3 chip on the EPIA-N will sync down to 15kHz?
I don't have a definitive answer, but I'd be very surprised if it couldn't, since that's the fundamental NTSC scanning rate. Besides, you could always tweak the timing registers.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
intuitionsys said:
I'm not familiar with the CAN bus but did a quick investigation and it seems straightforward enough.
It's my understanding that the "MAC Layer" (so to speak) is easy, it's the overlying layers (like the addresses of what each bit source/sink is) and some of the protocols were proprietary; i.e., I have an ethernet, but don't know either the IP address of the place I'm trying to get to, nor know if it's TCP/IP, Appletalk, IPX, ...

Admittedly, I haven't done much research on this at all. I'd love to interface to it, just for the sheer tech value of it all, and being able to interface to the Tech screen would be a big plus.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
kcrudup said:
Hey- that's what I do for a living.

(Anyway, if you've got a CAN bus spec, and need a guy who knows this stuff to help you, let me know.)
Kenny if you did that you'd be the man. Maybe Philp69 will chime in. I think he knows about that stuff too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kcrudup said:
It's my understanding that the "MAC Layer" (so to speak) is easy, it's the overlying layers (like the addresses of what each bit source/sink is) and some of the protocols were proprietary; i.e., I have an ethernet, but don't know either the IP address of the place I'm trying to get to, nor know if it's TCP/IP, Appletalk, IPX, ...

Admittedly, I haven't done much research on this at all. I'd love to interface to it, just for the sheer tech value of it all, and being able to interface to the Tech screen would be a big plus.
Well PAC has done it to a limited degree and I was planning on getting one anyway so maybe something can be gleaned from what they've done...?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.