Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the best price for the crank pully or for the set crank, alt, and idler ?

Stillen Site: Crank Only $ 194.65
3 piece set $ 339.15
Belt $ 45.00

Does anyone know the belt part #, could possibly find somewhere else cheaper?

Or wondering where others have purchased this?

Big Thanks :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
sweet-

i have NO expereince with this particular setup, HOWever, i have thrown MANY a s/c belt in my day.....

you get whatcha pay for with belts..... something as critical as the drive belts (or any belts i guess) should be top priority....

mix-matching belt manufacturers (or the cogless type) with pulleys that have different profiles, could lead to slippage, squeaking, premature wear, or failure.....

maybe this helps...(?)

-eS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i would have to agree that most times you get what you pay for.

here is a Nice pic from unorthodoxracing but the set is $406.80 + shipping pully only




Sorry es- as i know all this mod talk must be killin' ya :roll:

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
The UR pulley set sells for 320 in a lot of places. Look around.
But its useless unless you want it for show. The only one you need is the crank pulley and that can be bought for 220 with belts.

BTW, the belts recommended for UR pulleys are Gates which you can buy at any Napa store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
Sweet Fx said:
Well, i would have to agree that most times you get what you pay for.
You referring to the other pulleys or the vendor's cheap price?

If the former: sure, they are very pretty, but the other two pulleys do not add any performance; that is all from the crank pully. That's all I meant. I don't shove my head down the front of my engine enough to want really shiny things that do nothing there.


If the latter: well, if someone wants to pay more for the same product elsewhere because they think there's some quality issue, they are more than welcome. Lots of people over there have ordered from this guy though and are happy.

FYI, the main belt UR recommends has turned out to be too long for a lot of people, resulting in their belt tensioner being maxed out and still getting some squealing. Concept Z switched to a shorter belt after the issue arose and haven't had problems since.

Or was your comment directed toward Esemes? Just re-read the thread. :oops:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all

I was only refering to the "cheap belts" getting what you paid for.

I think MGFR has got a winner i.e. pricing $$$
I really havent decided on the set or just the crank. Hmmm...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
Great! You gonna install yourself or have it done? I've heard it's a bit tricky on an automatic, since you can't lock the crank, but I saw a post on My350Z where a couiple people have put long breaker bars on the bolt and let it rest on the ground (in the proper orientation), then crank the starter (after disconnecting something so that it won't turn over) to break the bolt loose. Not sure about torquing it back up again... Keep us posted. This is very likely to be my next mod as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
personally (again, i am sorry if i seem to be butting in, but i am meaning good), i would let a qualified shop do this job.....

limited access, ungodly break resistance on the oem bolts, and need to torque exactingly right, are some of the main reasons i would steer clear of saving 1 hour of labor on this.....

that is, unless you are a diehard DIY type of modder.... (good on you either way!)

-eS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Great! You gonna install yourself or have it done? I've heard it's a bit tricky on an automatic, since you can't lock the crank, but I saw a post on My350Z where a couiple people have put long breaker bars on the bolt and let it rest on the ground (in the proper orientation), then crank the starter (after disconnecting something so that it won't turn over) to break the bolt loose. Not sure about torquing it back up again... Keep us posted. This is very likely to be my next mod as well.
I used this technique on my Miata (5 speed manual) to loosen the crankshaft bolt, when I changed the timing belt. I either pulled the fuel pump fuse or pulled the spark plug wires so the car wouldnt start. I put a 4 foot breaker bar on it and braced it against my shoulder, while my buddy just bumped the starter briefly. As far as tightening it, I think I just tightened as much as possible and never had a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
gtxjoe said:
I used this technique on my Miata (5 speed manual) to loosen the crankshaft bolt, when I changed the timing belt. I either pulled the fuel pump fuse or pulled the spark plug wires so the car wouldnt start. I put a 4 foot breaker bar on it and braced it against my shoulder, while my buddy just bumped the starter briefly. As far as tightening it, I think I just tightened as much as possible and never had a problem.
thank goodness you werent standing on the "wrong" side of the car, when he hit the ignition!! (lol-- not good!)

smart thinking joe!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will have my friend who is a qualified technican do it for me. He chooses his clients, you cant just drive in looking for basic work. He was quite excited when he saw our FX, he has not gotten to work on one yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Sweet Fx said:
I will have my friend who is a qualified technican do it for me. He chooses his clients, you cant just drive in looking for basic work. He was quite excited when he saw our FX, he has not gotten to work on one yet.

dont forget yer camera, and , maybe you can weigh both pulleys as well??

be nice to see the weight savings......... (non-rotational savings i mean)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
So, do these new pulleys do anything performance-wise?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is what the site says:

Unorthodox 350Z/G35 Racing Pulley with Belts
Code: G35-0210105
Name: Unorthodox 350Z/G35 Racing Pulley with Belts
Price: $220.00
Description: Unorthodox Racing pulleys are now available for the 2003+ Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G35. UR pulleys add close to 12HP on all Models. Horsepower increases are very noticeable due to the fact that UR pulleys primarily gain low-end torque. The main purpose of the underdrive pulley is to lose as much weight off the crank pulley, and turn that extra lost weight into HP Gains. Colors available are Black/Silver/Red/Blue, 2 belts are included with every UR Pulley order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
Hey, could you also do me a favor and measure the circumference of each pulley's belt channel? I'd like to calculate just how much the UR pully is under-driving the accessories.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
Do you know how much yor guy is going to charge you for the install? I'm about to order and want to check around on install prices (I kind of doubt my dealer will be the most economical).
 
1 - 20 of 133 Posts
Top