Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any thoughts on these? I am very tempted to do a swap as Unorthodox Racing is only ~25 mins from my house. I've read and heard only great things about their crank pulleys.

According to them, each lb saved on the pulley translates to ~2.7hp gain (or regained) and it seems that the UR pulley saves about 5lbs from stock. I'm sure it wont net 10-15hp but 6-9rwhp isnt too far fetched. The most attractive benefit to me is it giving the motor the ability to rev faster and less engine braking during coasting.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Hmm, I read about these and kept an eye on them in the Z and G forums for a while when they were introduced. I seem to remember there being a hesitancy over the fact that their crank pulley omits the harmonic dampener. I also remember reading that these pulleys don't do much for automatic cars for some reason. If you're seriously considering it, I'd do a bit more reading first just to know as much as possible. Being so close to the manufacturer certainly helps, too. If you do go for it, you may as well do all three pulleys.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, definitely research is key. Been reading alot of the possible problems these pulleys may cause but it seems that our V6s are internally balanced unlike many domestic V8s/BMW Inline 6s. Evidence shows that the pulley itself does not act as a harmonic dampener (looking at the OEM pulley), so it shouldnt be an issue to swap it. It seems that it is very safe to run these pulleys on our VQs. I've heard/read of many Maximas running on these pulleys for tens of thousands of miles w/o any issues. I even have a few friends with UR pullies on their imports (Integra Type R and WRX) for over 2 yrs and driven HARD without any problems. However, I am going to have to dig deeper and learn a bit more about them before jumping in.

One thing I know for sure is that the crank pulley has nothing to do with the transmission - So it really has the same effect on both AT/MT cars. Just the removal/install process is a bit more involved because you cant lock the crank in 'Park' as you could with a MT left in gear. I'm only considering the crank pulley as it is the only pulley that actually increases hp/tq & overall engine performance. They are underdrive pulleys so I'd like to avoid underdriving my accessories such as the alternator and A/C. They probably help in running the accessories more efficiently but I've read that they are a B!tch to install.

More to come as I find more info. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
This issue has been beaten to death on the Acura cl and tl forums. My previous car was a 03 TL-S and I had the UR crank pulley for about 3 months. I personally did not feel any additional vibrations. Some of the 6 speed CL owners have had the pulley for much longer and no complaints were reported. Try visiting Aura-cl.com and doing a UR pulley search.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Dude! Is that Chunk from The Goonies doing the "Truffle Shuffle"?!

·
Registered
882 Posts
:wink: :lol: Yup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts