Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Brazil for 3 weeks and got home today. On the way to work, I noticed the "AT Warning" light was lit. I thought maybe something was just stuck from 3 weeks of inactivity. Also, the rear-view camera is activiting intermittently while the car is in neutral, D, or even manual shift mode. The car seems to be shifting fine.

Any ideas what could cause this?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Probably not related to the inactivity...I've been away for longer than that on three occasions.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The gremlins are multiplying...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dealer has ordered a new "Shifter box". This is the part holding the stick you actually grab. Sounds like some of the sensors went haywire. The good news is I guess it isn't related to linkage or the transmission itself.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
dinofx35 said:
ounds like some of the sensors went haywire.
Animal infestation, perhaps, while sitting for so long?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently this is a common problem. There is an ITB out for this. Infiniti has redesigned the shifter box, and there is a new part number for the redesigned part. My dealer said the old part is no longer available, and the new part is scarce because production has just started and lots of FXs have this issue (maybe only a certain range of VINs).

I got my car back and the symptoms have been less frequent but still present. The part should be arriving in about 10 days. The car runs fine, not in "limp home mode".

This is NOT a recall. I wonder what happens to FX owners when their warranty runs out and the shifter box goes bad?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
hmmm... i had the rear view monitor thingy happen to me a few weeks ago. the car has not had any stale time sitting either. i tricked it into skipping the reverse camera all togeher in reverse by shifting into reverse at the exact same time i clicked the "ok" button for the nav. once i went into drive everything was back to normal.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bradical said:
hmmm... i had the rear view monitor thingy happen to me a few weeks ago. the car has not had any stale time sitting either.
Sounds like you have the same problem. It's a faulty "switch" inside the shifter. Luckily it doesn't actually cause the car to switch into reverse.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So my car has been at Infiniti since Friday and they still haven't fixed the problem. The new "redesigned" shifter box was installed and didn't fix the problem. Now they are looking at the "BCM", and possible a whole new transmission. Fun!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After 10 days with the car (prodding and poking), Infiniti decided that the problem was in some electronic device on the transmission. The part cannot be ordered separately, or maybe it's next to impossible to replace, so the entire transmission was replaced this morning. :cry:

A $5,000 part! My car is slightly modded and I suppose they didn't notice or care. I wonder if they would have denied the service if I had the supercharger installed?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ouch! I'm still thinking about trading in on a 05'. Assuming they pulled ODBC info. Do you know what the code was? I havent pulled mine yet, but think I need to compare appels to appels...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OIIIIIIO said:
Ouch! I'm still thinking about trading in on a 05'. Assuming they pulled ODBC info. Do you know what the code was? I havent pulled mine yet, but think I need to compare appels to appels...
Whatever the code was, it didn't help them any. It took them 5 days to determine it was in the transmission.

If your problem starts bothering you often (cruise control disables, GPS system gets confused, etc), maybe you can refer them to my case. It seems like Infiniti wasn't familiar with the problem since they tried changing the wrong part first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts