Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my front left headlight on my Audi S3, it was misaligned so I took it in to my Audi dealer, they called me back and said there was something either loose or broken inside the headlight, but they could not take it appart because it was glued together, and in order to open it, they would have to damage some parts, and they couldnt order those specific parts. Sooo they suggested to REPLACE the whole headlight unit for... $1,400 dollars!!! Just because there is something wrong inside! the adjustment knobs do turn, but the light does not go up or down!! HELP I really want to get these problem fixed, and I dont have $1,400 dollars to spend on a headlight. I heard some people heat the headlight unit in the oven in order to open the headlight. Any thoughts on how to get the headlight open??? Thanks

·
Registered
848 Posts
Don't have an answer to your question, just wondering...it's an '02, and out of warranty?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Are these self-leveling HID lights? If yes, then perhaps your servo motor went out. Happened to my previous car '99 bmw 328.

As to parts glued together, that's just a whole bunch of BS. The glue is just a rubber gasket that can be removed with any heat gun. It is in a solid form that becomes more like clay when heat is applied. It is to keep moisture away from your lens...

Kris

·
Registered
779 Posts
jorgemiranda, you have AudiS3 and live in Chicago? ...or did you mean Audi S4? I thought S3s were not available in the US.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I dont know about Audi coz I dont own one but my previous BMW E39 528 has the same problem. One of those cheap plastic adjusting knobs was broken inside the headlight. The whole headlight assembly looks like sealed but actually it has several sealed tabs between the lens and the housing. I just broke those sealed tabs carefully(not to damage them) and the lens is seperated. Again, this is for BMW but may have similar design, so look around your headlight assembly.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
krzys4 said:
jorgemiranda, you have AudiS3 and live in Chicago? ...or did you mean Audi S4? I thought S3s were not available in the US.
Well, I do live in Chicago, but I have an S3 in my house in Mexico, I am actually thinking of bringing the S3 to Chicago. Yea, its a 2002 and out of warranty, here in Mexico you only get 2 years of warranty, and mine expired a couple months ago.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Regarding the headlight, since the dealer says that they need to replace the whole headlight, you have nothing to loose if you try to fix the problem by yourself. Try to take the headlight apart and see if you can find the problem. Again, you might need a heat gun (hair drier will do) as most likely the lights are sealed tight with the rubber compound. On the other hand it might turn out that this is not the case (I know VW uses the heat-activated seal while BMW does not so draw your own conclusion about Audi).
Once you remove the part that is not working, take it to the dealer and talk to parts guy to order the piece (remember, it's to your benefit to have a good relationship with the parts guy). I bet it will cost you less than $1400. :)

The only problem is that you will not be able to drive your car for the time being but it is a small price to pay especially if it saves you lots of mula. 8)

Kris

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boris Badenov said:
$1400… I bet you can find it cheaper in Mexico… 8)
Thats the quote from my Audi dealer here in Mexico... :?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts