Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone recognize these connectors. They appear to be antenna connectors. They are located in the trunk of my 1994 Q45, but I cannot find anything that they connect to, or are intended to connect to.

I don't think they are intended for a CD changer, because that locates in the right side of the trunk. Nor do I think they are intended for a mobile phone, because the wiring diagrams show different types of connectors. My Q45 has a rod antenna, so they're not for that. Maybe, possible, just a part of the wiring harness, in case a window antenna is used?

I have looked through the service book, and no such connectors are shown in any component layout or schematic.

Hope someone can answer.

Thanks.
Does anyone recognize these connectors. They appear to be antenna connectors. They are located in the trunk of my 1994 Q45, but I cannot find anything that they connect to, or are intended to connect to.

I don't think they are intended for a CD changer, because that locates in the right side of the trunk. Nor do I think they are intended for a mobile phone, because the wiring diagrams show different types of connectors. My Q45 has a rod antenna, so they're not for that. Maybe, possible, just a part of the wiring harness, in case a window antenna is used?

I have looked through the service book, and no such connectors are shown in any component layout or schematic.

Hope someone can answer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Hope someone can answer.

Thanks.
The type of connection shown appears to be a quick connect coax type that may be used by a mobile amateur radio installation. I would also be looking for other evidence of mounting in the dash area or trace of an external antenna mount. It does not look like anything Infiniti would install. I am an amateur radio operator and have owned a 1991 Q45 with a trunk cd changer and a portable phone set up, but this more like a ham gear setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Hope someone can answer.

Thanks.
Thanks for both responses.
Both connectors are threaded, so not quick connect. And, there's no sign of any add-ons inside the car, nor any sign of an external antenna.
The car has been in my family since 1995, so, if anything was added, it would have been in its first year, but the wiring seems to be a factory install, with an apparent factory correct grommeted mounting for the black lead, per the attached pic. Plus, the plastic support looks like something else, or a wire, was supported there.
I'm thinking they might be connectors for an RF filter, for the audio system? Which, brings me to another problem that might be associated.
With the rear speakers connected, when the radio is turned on, I get an immediate continuous loud howl from the audio system, no matter the volume level. First one howl, quickly followed by a second continuous. The only way to stop it is to disconnect both rear speakers. With one speaker disconnected, there is only one howl, but it doesn't start immediately.

Thanks again.
View attachment 20754
Paul, I want change my last comments to now say that it is very likely an Infiniti installed connection. However, if there is no swivel to the coax connectors, then they must be the type used in tight locations, that although there are threads, this type of push on connector does not have to be screwed on. I have used them before.

Concerning the speakers, I had a problem with the rear speakers on my 91 Q, making loud noises, whistles, and popping that almost caused me to run off the road when driving. I am an electronic technician, and decided to track the problem down myself. I found the problem to be leaking capacitors on the amplifier board. I replaced the capacitors and it fixed the problem. Later I noticed that there was a recall by Infiniti to replace the boards. Your problem seems similar, and you may want to look into it for a possible recall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts