Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one know what exactly this is on grubbs performance website
has anyone installed?
is this a kit that will put an amber glow under the dash? i think that would be cool any pix out there?

did search didnt find anything...

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mercha ... de=FXNismo

thank you for any input

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
$94?? :lol:

I did my own for ~$1.50 w/ LEDs, resistors and some wire. I'll post pics of mine when I get home. I may go brighter but it looks great.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx

maybe some instructions or something, how hard was it? or a place i can get it done?

thanks a bunch

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It'll take you about 20-30mins to do this, if you know what you're doing and not afraid to take things apart.

I'll post some instructions later w/ pics.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Here are some pics... none were 'chopped, just cropped & resized.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
couple more..

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow

LOOK AMAZING! i love it

I WANT IT!

can you tell me where to buy all the parts and also i noticed you have light glowing on the UPHOLDER i guess ambient light like the BIMMERs i want that TOO along with UNDERDASH

PM ME or u can put it on here and u will def. INSPIRE alot of folks to do this

thanks
Sunny

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thanks... too tired to do a write up right now. I'll put somehting together tomorrow. It's fairly simple. Just need some amber LEDs, some resistors, 22 ga wires, solder gun, vampire wire clips....

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Wow, that looks great! Where'd you mount and wire the overhead ones?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Oh Man, ujmot, You've just got to know, I Love that! :D In addition, is it also possible to have the controls on the steering wheel center backlit? Are you, generator and johnmax taking orders or doing installs yet? Good reason to go back and visit N.Y.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Wow, that looks great! Where'd you mount and wire the overhead ones?
Thanks everyone. It took awhile to figure out exactly where to put these LEDs, but once that was done, it was cake.

The overhead LED was installed on the mirror wire finisher. It was the most logical place to put it since the sunglass compartment is part of the headliner (not removeable). The plastic cover comes off easily. Drill a 1/4" hole near the top of it and install a LED holder with a clear diffuser. I ran the 22ga wires under the headliner, down the left A pillar. There is a bolt on the A pillar frame. I used that to ground it and then used a vampire clip to tap into a switched power source - for the overhead and driver's side footwell, I tapped the 'Snow mode' button's Red-Blue wire. For the Pass side footwell, I tapped the same colored wire (Red-Blue) from the clock:

I'm not planning on selling any kits because none of this is plug/play nor does it resemble a kit in any way, it's a strictly DIY thing. I did this for myself and I am willing to help anyone with this, if time allows me. This involved drilling some trim pieces. If you are not comfortable with taking apart some trim & drilling 3 small holes (1 for each LED) in the plastic trim of your car, I suggest you skip this mod.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
is it also possible to have the controls on the steering wheel center backlit?
Unfortunatly no. It would involve a precision water cutter...

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Great info. Do you have similar pics showing the fotwell LED locations? Is there only one LED per footwell or more? What LEDs do you use (your source?)? Where do you get these LED holders with clear diffusers and what else is needed? Totally understand not wanting to do kits or anything like that, but it would be great if you could list all the materials required and provide at least rudimentary instructions. This looks pretty simple; I'm sure a lot of DIY-ers would love to try it out.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
*Obligatory disclaimer: Do this at your own risk. *

Ok, this DIY instruction is sort of a work in progress so bear with me. I will start with a list of supplies you'd need and general prep stuff to get anyone interested started.

**FYI, I have a BUNCH of left over LEDs w/ resistors in Amber, Red, Orange, White & Blue. If you’d like a few, just pm me (I’m not looking to sell them, just here to help!).**

Here is a list of Tools/Supplies/Materials needed:

- 5mm (T1) LEDs, color of your choice. I used amber to match the interior lights.
- Resistors (~470ohm, ¼ watt)
- DC Power Supply (Optional - to test LEDs w/ resistors before install)
- LED Mounting clips - I used the clear diffused type: http://dav-electronics.com/led-001-c.htm
You can choose to use the black flush mount also – If you’re looking for a brighter ambient light, then this would be a better choice. Just be sure to use a dremel/sander to sand the tip of the LED slightly to diffuse the light beam. One thing to keep in mind is that the rear view mirror wire finisher is not very deep. So whichever mount you choose to use, you'd need to use some sort of spacer in between the exterior surface of the finisher and the mount to allow enough room to route both the existing wire and the wire from the LEDs under that trim piece.
- Assorted rubber grommets (optional - to act as spacer)
- Body trim tool (optional – I used my hands)
- 20-24 gauge wire - Red
- 20-24 gauge wire - Black
- Wire cutter/Crimp tool
- Electrical tape
- Heat shrink tubes (Assorted)
- Soldering Gun / Solder kit
- Drill with ¼” Drill bit
- Wire tap splice
- Wire zip ties
- A lot of patience

Most of the tools/supplies can be bought at Radio Shack. Pretty much everything I’ve listed, I got at my local Radio Shack.

There are plenty of sellers on eBay and on the web where you can buy good LEDs for cheap. Again, I have a lot of left over LEDs, so if you need any, pm me.

Preparation is the majority of the work, so I'll walk you through that for now. For those of you familiar with LEDs and working with electrical systems, you can probably skip reading most of the simple prep stuff.

1) Prepare wires by cutting them to appropriate lengths. I started with ~6-9' red & black wires. This will give you plenty of length to work with and you can always trim the excess off later. I cut 2 sets of these for the overhead light and the passenger side footwell light. Prepare a another for the driver's side footwell, this could be much, much shorter since the power source is right there.

2) LEDs are polar and only work one way. Usually the longer lead is + and the shorter is the -. If you have a 12volt power supply, quickly test one: Hook up a red wire to the (+) and a black wire to the of the power supply. Then hook up the resistor to the red wire, which will then hook up w/ the long lead of the LED. Hook up the black wire w/ the shorter lead of the LED. If the LED doesn’t light up, then the polarity is reversed for this LED (or a dead LED).

3) Once you have tested the LED and sorted out its polarity, it’s time to solder the LED leads & resistor to the appropriate wires. To keep things simple: Red wire to + and Black to -

4) Once you’ve soldered the leads, cut small pieces of heat shrink and insulate the two from each other to avoid shorting out anything. Wrap the two wires w/ electrical tape to tidy it up.

5) The wire insulation can be fairly stiff and can cause unwanted noise if left loose and slapping around in the headliner. I used electrical tape to tidy up the wires, to minimize any potential noise and it also makes it a bit easier to tuck under the headliner.

6) I chose to drill a 1/4" hole to mount the LEDs on the bottom parts of the 2 (driver & pass) lower trim panels. I just used the center of these panels as drill points and I used the clear diffused LED mounters to mount them. They are completely hidden out of the way and cast the light down, which is the look I was going for.

Here are the pieces of trim you will be removing for the install:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Once all the prep work (soldering the wires & resistors) are done, the rest is in the trim removal, placement and wiring. Which I quickly went over already in previous posts in this thread.

If you have any detail questions, just ask and I'll try to answer them. If you're comfortable with working with your cars and semi competent w/ electricals, then you shouldnt have any problems and shoudl consider this a very easy mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
ujmot said:
It'll take you about 20-30mins to do this, if you know what you're doing and not afraid to take things apart.

I'll post some instructions later w/ pics.
SOrry I exaggerated... it'll take you atleast an hour or two to completely do this start from finish. :oops:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts