Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I can't believe we have a forum for "Towing", but none for HVAC!)

Yesterday on the highway, I noticed the temperature was going up a lot (we've got a "heat wave" going on here in SoCal lately). So, thinking my compressor's probably just deciding to take a break (but it didn't do that in Vegas or the Mohave Desert, where the temperature was much higher than the mere 89 we had yesterday), I just turned off the HVAC (we all know the FX will roast ya w/o AC on :)) and figured it would come back after the next start.

No go. I had another errand, and it sat longer, but still no A/C. So I get home, print the appropriate pages off the service manual, and check that (1) the belt is still on it and (2) the fuse is OK (it's in the IPCU, back behind the battery and somewhat of a bitch to get to). As the fuse was OK, I figured maybe it's some sort of ECU thing (no CE light, though), so I did the dreaded battery-cable pull overnight and shorted the + to -.

It's official- it has to go in tomorrow. This is my first real problem, but it's under warranty, so we'll see what happens. I like going to Thousand Oaks Infiniti, but I've been working about 80 mi away in the OC so I've got a lot of driving ahead of me tomorrow AM. Plus, I never did get those scratches taken out and that body shop I trust from the support pole "incident" is across the street, and I'm about 1K mi overdue from my 22.5K service (mostly because of the distance to TOI). Stay tuned.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Hard to believe a ladies man is having a difficult time looking/being COOL w/o A/C ! j/k Hope they get your CHILL problem fixed soon.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kcrudup said:
but still no A/C ... Stay tuned.
Just got off the phone with Matt at Thousand Oaks Infiniti; it's official- my A/C clutch sh!t the bed. That's a little scary (8mo, 24Kmi), but thank God for warranties, huh- even if I'm a little bummed I can't tell people my car's been "100% problem free" anymore.

It's my understanding the compressor itself is OK, but the clutch died, which I guess is better than thinking the variable-rate compressors we have are flaky (he said he's seen this happen before, but at least from browsing FA and here I'm the only one to have had it happen).

I also printed out every ITB that I found to be a problem: rocking seat (ever so slightly), up-hill "thump" from the front, squealing rear brakes (which I never really GAS about, but since I was getting stuff done ...) and I'm glad to see that there's an ITB about "over"filling the VK engine, so we '45 owners won't have that problem much anymore, I hope.

I've been given an I35 as a loaner. It's quick enough, and doesn't have much torque steer, but I'm gonna be so glad when I get my FX back! I drove my GF's 528i yesterday, and was somewhat pleased to see that the legendary "BMW Driving Feel" was in our FXen; other than the fact that my '45 is much quicker, there wasn't a lot of driving difference.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my baby back baby back baby back!

I got a whole laundry list of stuff done:

- 22.5K service (at 24.1 :))
- "Rocking Seat" fix (it was ever so slight, but what the ****)
- '45 front-side "pop" fix
- A/C compressor clutch (this still bugs me this went out so soon, but let's be real- I bump up against the rev-limiter at least once a day)
- +2 BTDC timing bump (more on this in the appropriate thread)
- the body shop next door (that perfectly fixed my damage when that support pole jumped out at me a few months ago) got those scratches out that the car wash did a while back.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the good service folks (Matt B. and Nicole G.) at Thousand Oaks Infiniti, and Matt S. at Courtesy Body Shop.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You shorted out your battery terminals overnight? Am I the only one who is doing a double take on this suggestion?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dinofx35 said:
You shorted out your battery terminals overnight?
I don't buy it either, but I've read it helps clear your ECU faster. I figured since I already had the NEG lead off, what could it hurt.

·
Registered
882 Posts
did your ac give any indictaions that is was ogin to crap out?

When i turn on my AC i hear a loud click from the engine compartment.Is that normal?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mushutofu said:
Did your AC give any indications that it was going to crap out?
Not a one; it was cold air one second, hot air the next.

When i turn on my AC i hear a loud click from the engine compartment. Is that normal?
Yeah, but that's the ABS pre-charging, I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts