Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2009 FX50s to the agent for a 10,000 km service. I was asked by the service advisor if I wanted a special engine oil (don't know the name or specs) which needs to be replaced every 10,000 km or the regular one (5,000km).
I opted for the regular one, not because I like to see my dealer every 5,000 km but because I was told by a friend of mine who drives the same car that the 'special' 10k km oil substantially increased his petrol consumption - by almost 30%....when he went back to the regular oil, visits to the petrol stations became regular too.

I guess there must be something to it.

Would anyone care to elaborate?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Most likely synthetic oil. I don't know about your friend's comment on oil consumption. I don't see how that can happen.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm in CA and I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w30.

In general, most will agree that Synthetic motor oil is superior to conventional motor oil.

You might have to use something else due to your extreme weather there? I'm sure someone will chime in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, it's **** hot here most of the time. 41 C to 50 C from May to October....Is synthetic motor oil meant to be better for extreme weather in general?

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Synthetic oil is supposed to be better for your engine under any conditions. If youre friends fuel consumption really went up by 30% he must have put some of the oil in his gas tank. I'm sure his percieved fuel consumption was coincidental and has more to do with his driving curcumstances before and after the change. If the oil and filter were changed properly and the oil level filled correctly there is no way that the type of oil can result in a 30% change in fuel economy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mongolian said:
+1

Sort of impossible just from an oil change, no?

well, that's what I thought too...but the moment they changed the oil back to regular, petrol consumption went back down to usual 450km per tank. With 10,000m oil (still don't know which one it was), range was never over 300km per tank.
Driving pattern didn't change during both periods, it was mixed highway/city driving.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Synthetic is a better overall lubricant regardless of your regular ambient or operating temperatures.

I wouldn't consider mileage as a reason to change oils because I don't think the oil makes that much difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Titanium, the production diff. between mineral oil and synthetic is that mineral comes directly from crude oil refining (cheaper), while synthetic is produced in laboratories according to specified formulas (more expensive).
For Dubai conditions the oil should be around 10w50 due to the heat -check the diff oil types at ENOC/EPPCO/Emarat petrol stations...
Synthetic is more performance-oriented & lasts longer, but once it comes beyond it's period it quickly deteriorates in quality.
Mineral oil gets its best performance when engine is warmed up, lasts about half the lifetime of synth. but degrades in quality slower once u pass the service mark (after warranty i used to exceed the 5K mark, coz I knew the oil was still good).
There is a diff in the price -about double for synth.
Usually manufacturers use mineral for break-in, & then switch to synth. coz modern engines are designed more for synth.

I had the same choice when I was in Dxb, servicing my Caprice SS in Al Yousuf (at the time), & i went 4 mineral @ 5K, coz u get to have ur car inspected every 5K instead of 10K -it matters when it comes to brake pads, cleaning the air filter & other stuff... @ Al Yousuf in terms of price 1 synth. oil change = 2 mineral oil changes & each time u have a new oil filter ;)
-this is just my opinion :)

For the fuel consumption, i doubt ur friend's assumptions. Synthetic oil might give like 1% extra HP, but no measurable diff in fuel consumption.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No way that using fully synthetic can increase fuel consumption. In fact, the reverse is true. Be careful when using the local Infiniti dealership (Dubai). They use 20W-50 which will spoil your engine over the long term as it is too thick. Dealership uses Enoc 5W-40 and you have to ask for it. Correct oil is 5W-30 according to the owner's manual but the service technicians at the agency are not aware of this (would you believe it). 5W-40 is OK though. With fully synthetic oils, you can for up to 25,000 kms without a change but dealers won't tell you this because this kind of honesty is not very profitable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts