Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im working with a local speed shop, Altered Atmospheres in MD to gauge the feasibilty for Forced Induction (turbos) on the FX45.

We are going to investigate what can be done as far as a turbo set up on stock fuel sytem, as well as higher boost applications with additional reinforcement to the fuel system, as well as slight block modification. Also inspection for front mount intercooler fitment will be performed.

This is definetly not for the wary.

Once i have some hard data, I will assess wether or not the gains will be worth the cost. If anyone is interested in finding out what can be done, and is interested enough to possibly split fabrication costs please let me know. The more people involved, the cheaper it will be for all of us. Replicating the kit wont cost nearly as much as the first one produced. Possibly this could become a complete bolt-on-affair for people interested in boosted fx45 performance!!!

Estimates on low boost application(stock fuel) is just around 360 - 380+ whp. (appx 400bhp - 420bhp)

High boost applications will really depend on what our AT's can handle (im not interested in having to mess with the stock stall converter).

I will also be performing a base-line dyno run, just to see what we are starting with. Also interested in seeing what amount of drive-train loss we are experiencing.

Ill update as soon as I get more info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
it seems that from a few other posts that a supercharger is the preferred way to go.

with a supercharger, most of the hp/torque gains are lower in the rpm band where it is more useful for most of us. the gains also occur over a wider portion of the rpm band.

and that overall the supercharger is less costly in price and in installation.

do you think there is an advantage to a turbo?

its great that alot of thought is going into FX45 performance upgrades!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
BTW...there was a recent post of a link from a 350Z owner who races and said that our tranmissions are designed to handle up to 600hp.

his main warnings/issues were related to the axles (rear for the 350z) as the additional stresses could wear them out prematurely.

some speculate that additional complications may result with the awd systems.

there is ALOT of room for some serious improvement!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Sounds like a very ambitious project. Best of luck to you with this! I really hope it will work out. I guess you will be needing:

-pretty small low-boost turbos...GT25s for immediate response
-custom I/C piping and I/C that fits somewhere
-BOVs
-custom manifolds
-custom turbo outlets and front pipes
-cat bypass pipes
-better flowing exhaust
-better flowing in-tank fuel pump
-uprated injectors (what cc's are the stock ones BTW??)
-adj fuel regulator
-metal head gaskets (maybe not...depends on boost)
-head bolts
-conrod bolts
-cams & vernier pulleys
-ECU and a boost controller
-inlet plenum
-oil cooler
-twin core radiator
-iridium plugs
-BIG BRAKES! :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
Beryllium45 said:
Im working with a local speed shop, Altered Atmospheres in MD to gauge the feasibilty for Forced Induction (turbos) on the FX45.

We are going to investigate what can be done as far as a turbo set up on stock fuel sytem, as well as higher boost applications with additional reinforcement to the fuel system, as well as slight block modification. Also inspection for front mount intercooler fitment will be performed.

This is definetly not for the wary.

Once i have some hard data, I will assess wether or not the gains will be worth the cost. If anyone is interested in finding out what can be done, and is interested enough to possibly split fabrication costs please let me know. The more people involved, the cheaper it will be for all of us. Replicating the kit wont cost nearly as much as the first one produced. Possibly this could become a complete bolt-on-affair for people interested in boosted fx45 performance!!!

Estimates on low boost application(stock fuel) is just around 360 - 380+ whp. (appx 400bhp - 420bhp)

High boost applications will really depend on what our AT's can handle (im not interested in having to mess with the stock stall converter).

I will also be performing a base-line dyno run, just to see what we are starting with. Also interested in seeing what amount of drive-train loss we are experiencing.

Ill update as soon as I get more info!
Glad to see your effort,Superchargers are an easier fit.Procharger is working on it and they have an intercooler that fits..5psi will do it and give bottom/mid torgue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
i am ALL IN on a F.I. application for the almighty VK series.....

unlike previous VH motors (powered the Q lineups mostly), i expect the VK will have an aftermarket following of sorts....

since it (VK) powers the sporty FX lineup, i would think theres a better chance of those wanting more performance upgrades, as opposed to the Q series, which is a more luxo-market buyer (IMO)

i have had excellent success with blowers on v8 config's in the past. I had the vortech supercharger on my old iron-block 302ci, and at its completion, it ran 12lbs of boost, netting over 400 rwhp (close to 450 really) with a group of other upgrades as well....

i can easily expect a 5-7 lbs boost supercharger netting 80-100 rwhp(hi end), but we're goinna have to addrtess fuel (or starvation thereof) before we get too far ahead of ourselves...

yes, the tranny is good for PLENTY of abuse, but, are the injectors and pump capable of matching the needs of the added boost?? will we need an adj. fuel pressure reg?? how about adj. boost retarding?? and the Mass AF, well, could a hi-perf. version help out, or are we okay there??

unchartered grounds indeedd....

i do not want t go the turbo route (unless it was an oem turbo) for the mere fact of needed components needed to make it run correctly, and, most importantly, SAFELY....

that all said, will it be prodrive to first offer a kit??

or maybe the ever-popular vortech??

im not sure what type is best for our VERY small-block v8, scvrew-type, or conventional??

time will tell, and hopefully, so will the author of this thread!!

if i can help, i will!

eS
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
esemes said:
i am ALL IN on a F.I. application for the almighty VK series.....

unlike previous VH motors (powered the Q lineups mostly), i expect the VK will have an aftermarket following of sorts....

since it (VK) powers the sporty FX lineup, i would think theres a better chance of those wanting more performance upgrades, as opposed to the Q series, which is a more luxo-market buyer (IMO)

i have had excellent success with blowers on v8 config's in the past. I had the vortech supercharger on my old iron-block 302ci, and at its completion, it ran 12lbs of boost, netting over 400 rwhp (close to 450 really) with a group of other upgrades as well....

i can easily expect a 5-7 lbs boost supercharger netting 80-100 rwhp(hi end), but we're goinna have to addrtess fuel (or starvation thereof) before we get too far ahead of ourselves...

yes, the tranny is good for PLENTY of abuse, but, are the injectors and pump capable of matching the needs of the added boost?? will we need an adj. fuel pressure reg?? how about adj. boost retarding?? and the Mass AF, well, could a hi-perf. version help out, or are we okay there??

unchartered grounds indeedd....

i do not want t go the turbo route (unless it was an oem turbo) for the mere fact of needed components needed to make it run correctly, and, most importantly, SAFELY....

that all said, will it be prodrive to first offer a kit??

or maybe the ever-popular vortech??

im not sure what type is best for our VERY small-block v8, scvrew-type, or conventional??

time will tell, and hopefully, so will the author of this thread!!

if i can help, i will!

eS
Procharger blowers are better on power than Vortech and they have a fuel enrichment on their FX35 application.I need to get my Pro/FX35 manual back from the dealer(all they could say was it will void your warenty...AND!All I asked them was to see if the mounting bracket would work for us.Fuel regulator and bigger pump are traditional fixes,but Proch did not go that direction,I assume for a reason!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Even if you end up maxing out the stock MAF you can map around this on a decent ECU. Airflow voltage is not the only parameter good ECUs run to calculate a/f ratio. Most will cross reference with throttle position sensors. This is how it works. Typical way of doing this would be to set up 2 fuel trim maps, one of which trims the airflow voltage (for drivability) and a secondary "ghost" map running over the airflow map which uses throttle position on its Y axis. This means than when the MAF(s) max out the throttle position based map comes into play and continues to richen or lean the fuelling as required. All of this without having to upgrade your MAFs. If you are running a twin turbo set up you will need 2 MAFs so 2 OEM VK MAFs should be more than adequate on providing the necessary voltage to "measure" airflow.
You could also dump the MAF and use a MAP sensor that measures airflow according to intake manifold pressure... Lots of ways to do this...just depends what you and your tuner prefers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
DCD-

i get it...

this mapping WILL require individual car customization, by the sound of it, as each car will have slightly different needs and such...


dynojet makes software (tuning link) that allows for custom maps to be written (along with near flat-perfect a/f ratios) with as few as three ddyno runs.... this is in opposition to the trial & error method, taking 15 plus runs, costing an entire day of time/labour as well...

have you been custom mapped??

eS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turbo VS Supercharger

Yes, superchargers tend to give immediate boost response. Im not interested in boosting at lower rpms. The goal is to have max boost by appx 3500rpms.

The FX is pretty quick out-of-the-hole as it stands now. Superchargers are popular with the domestics, and domestic tuners are always looking for MAX torque as low as possible. However, creating max HP/TORQUE near redline makes a monumental difference in speed due to gearing in the top gears. Slightly improved low end performance, and a huge increase in top end performance is my preference with the FX45.

Exhaust pressure created by the Vk should be sufficient to run a moderate to large turbo to max boost by around 3500. This way you will avoid unecc. boost during normal driving.

The goal will be to create an additional 25-30% power while still using stock fuel setup, stock maf, stock stall converter, etc. I wouldnt run a "SMALL" turbo on the FX45, the preference is for a moderate amount of boost 6-9psi while providing higher CFM than typically found in smaller turbos running the same amount of boost.

Id prefer to run a single turbo (if possible) barring that the pipe work will be simplified compared to running parallel.

The goal isnt to rework the entire car, but rather maximizing its stock setup. 400whp Turbo FX45 will EAT 90% of the cars/suvs on the road.

Besides, ever hear a large turbo during blow-off. ITS ECSTASY. :)

I may be a bit biased coming from a 95 Twin Turbo (converted to single T78 - 690whp on race gas) , an SR20DET Silvia (330 whp), 95 Eclipse GST (18g 360whp). Boost is my crack. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:)

Im planning on getting dyno'd the first weekend of April. Ill also have some very preliminary findings -- who knows, all this may not work out as easily as suggested.

Any guesses on what actual WHP is?

Typically, 30% of loss is assumed with heavy drive-train vehicles (AWD especially)..... thats 94.5hp less than bhp. That translates to about 220whp... It would be INCREDIBLE to see net losses less than 25%..

Im being optimistic, and hoping that we are only experiencing 25% of loss, making abouty 235 whp.... (20% would make me instantly piss my pants... :) 252whp!) -- also ill have em hook up the wide-band o2 sensor see what our engines are doing - if its rich (like most imports) we have gains to be had by adjusting the AFR - on my Supra I gained 15.5whp just by leaning the fuel.

Who wants to start a pool? My bet is on 25%...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Re: :)

Beryllium45 said:
Im planning on getting dyno'd the first weekend of April. Ill also have some very preliminary findings -- who knows, all this may not work out as easily as suggested.

We shall see!
are you gonna dyno it in awdd or rwd mode??

i wonder if there's a difference in ###'s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
esemes,

I will need to dyno in awd, most all-time-awd vehicles will notice the front wheels not spinning, resulting in the front wheels being engaged. I may be wrong with the FX however.

Ill have the dyno results scanned and posted. Just being able to analyze the power curve will be worth the cost!

Making 340+ bhp, with intake, exhaust and AFC alone isnt too far fetched. That would be the best bang per dollar no doubt!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
please post the shhets, or email me and i can resize (if you have difficulties)

by the awd vs. rwdd mode, iwas referring to actually disabling the awd feature (therefor the rear wheels pull only) ; this is done by yanking out the awd fuse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DCD said:
Sounds like a very ambitious project. Best of luck to you with this! I really hope it will work out. I guess you will be needing:

-pretty small low-boost turbos...GT25s for immediate response
-custom I/C piping and I/C that fits somewhere
-BOVs
-custom manifolds
-custom turbo outlets and front pipes
-cat bypass pipes
-better flowing exhaust
-better flowing in-tank fuel pump
-uprated injectors (what cc's are the stock ones BTW??)
-adj fuel regulator
-metal head gaskets (maybe not...depends on boost)
-head bolts
-conrod bolts
-cams & vernier pulleys
-ECU and a boost controller
-inlet plenum
-oil cooler
-twin core radiator
-iridium plugs
-BIG BRAKES! :lol:
Cant forget sleeves, flexlite, custom cams, forged internals, valve-train work, higher stall converter and 2 walboros in your tank. :)
Then Slap on a T88!

With all of the above, you could run 25+ psi on pump gas pushing upwards of 700whp. But.. not really interested in something like that.

Anyone know what kind of fuel system we have, is it returnless?
Drive-by-wire could prove to be a road-block too.

Just dont know untill we pop her open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dang, thats cool esemes, i wasnt privy to that being an option.

Im sure that will translate more HP to the dyno. But im looking for some real-world numbers.

WE'LL SEE....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Beryllium45 said:
dang, thats cool esemes, i wasnt privy to that being an option.

Im sure that will translate more HP to the dyno. But im looking for some real-world numbers.

WE'LL SEE....
no sweat...

my concern:: sensing that the front wheels are NOT working, and that 100% is available to the rears (or vice-versa), might the motor go into a 'limp' or 'safe' mode???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
when we dyno GTRs in 2 wheel drive mode by pulling the Attesa fuse its usually a good idea to disconnect the front drive shafts as you risk(and its been done plenty of times by people that know nothing of this system) of burning the clutch packs.

I would guess 23%.

I would say screw the single turbo approach and run twin GT3540s 8) 8) :shock: :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top