Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my new 2011 FX35 since Aug 2011 and have appx 18k miles on it. It originally had 20" rims (p/o Tech Package which I wanted) but the ride was like a buckboard so I got the dealer to put on 18s, but the shocks/struts were not changed. Ride was still pretty rough so last Dec I swapped out the stock Bridgestones for Michelin Latitudes and run them at minimum inflation. This has helped a bit but I need to get it smoother - I have a medical condition that the rough ride exacerbates. My understanding that the shocks/struts are different for the 20s vs the 18s (via part numbers) but had a hard time getting any info from the dealer. One guy told me I should get the "correct" shocks/struts for the 18s (at $2k price installed!!) and another said it would make little to no difference. Unfortunately there aren't any aftermarkets yet for my year from Monroe, etc so I am stuck with what I can get from Infiniti.

So my questions:
1. Does anyone think swapping out the shocks/struts will make any real difference?
2. Are there any "squishier" shocks/struts out there for this model?
3. Anything else I should consider doing?

I really love this vehicle except for this one thing - I feel every little bump and on a rougher road I get bounced all over the seat. I may have to trade it for an SRX or something if I can't solve this.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have same question for my FX37 AWD with 18" wheels, the ride is beyond tolerable on any road other than fresh asphalt! Road noise too, can't believe vehicle of this price is more noisy than Nissan Altima.
I don't think coil-overs is a solution, they are always firmer than standard suspension even on softest setting. Any other ways to improve ride quality? 17" wheels may be, can they fit into FX37?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Go with Maybach, much smoother ride...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Coil overs are nothing more than a different way of mounting a spring. They are not always stiffer than a strut. Stiffness depends on damping and also owns spring rate. Good luck to you guys and getting that **** thing to ride better. My wife's 05 FX is the same way. I would rather ride in my dodge ram 2500.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Go with Maybach, much smoother ride...
If a smooth ride was so important, you picked the wrong car.

Most FXers like the stiff, tight handing the FX has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts